Need help with HP printer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with HP printer

JCM298
11-26-2004, 15:31
My three year old HP Deskjet 3820 won't print. The ink carriage is stuck at the far right of the track. It's out of warranty so I don't know if it's worth fixing.

I called HP Customer Service and could get no repair info and could not even talk to a technician without giving my credit card info. I would be told how much it would cost after the technician talked me through a "fix". I would have to pay, even if no repair could be made. I had trouble understanding the Support person who was in India, Pakistan, or some other foreign country where English is not the primary language. I did not wish to do that, so help from HP is out.

Has anybody had this problem with a printer and, if so, how do I repair it?

What is a good printer to buy that will be used in a home office with a Dell PC using Windows XP Professional? It may be better to just replace it.

Thanks,

John

JCM298
11-26-2004, 17:36
I got on line and talked to a tech who tried to talk me through the problem which is called carriage stall. All attempts to fix it did not work. The carriage is jammed. Various machinery can be heard trying to do something but it stays jammed.

The "boss" and I will have to go buy a new one tonight. Any suggestions on brand & model?

John

Catbird
11-26-2004, 17:48
I have a 4 year old HP DeskJet 842C. Although I haven't really had any problems with it, when it comes time to replace it, I'm probably going to get some sort of cheap (under $50) Lexmark from Wal-Mart.

I don't have any special printing needs, but you might, so YMMV.

NetNinja
11-26-2004, 18:43
HP's are normally very good printers for the money and they have decent prices for the replacement cartridges.

I would get another HP. I absolutely love them and my compnay uses a lot of older HP 4000t's.

I manged to aquire the older LaserJet 6p. prints slow but it's good enough for me.

Ljunatic
11-26-2004, 19:48
consider the cost of ink versus the price of the printer Lexmarks are cheap but are very expensine when ink costs are added in. I think PCWorld.com may have some reviews online .
HP's are generally less expensive to operate and I have had very good luck with the two I have owned. I also have a Canon bubblet jet that was fair on operating costs and is still going strong, but had only light use

PCWorld.com (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/pguide/0,p,printers,pgid,35,00.asp)

PeaceKeeper
11-26-2004, 19:59
I am happy with my Canon i850, ink is cheap for it also.