Can You Network Two Wi-Fi computers w/out a router? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can You Network Two Wi-Fi computers w/out a router?

Wulfenite
11-26-2004, 19:17
You know, you've got wi-fi, i've got Wi-Fi, we network w/ out a wireless router.

BLiTzNicK
11-26-2004, 19:46
Sure

podwich
11-26-2004, 19:50
Ad-hoc network (though I've never really used it).

11-26-2004, 20:19
Yup, just tell the wireless connection in each PC to connect via Ad Hoc, and they should see each other and talk. W/o the router, you won;t be going anywhere, but you can share files and printers.

Weaps
11-28-2004, 19:56
If you have a computer with both a Wi-fi wireless card and a wired ethernet adapter (I have a notebook that has both, I normally use wired in it's docking station but it also has a built-in wireless; I also have a notebook with just a wireless PCMCIA card) you can have the one with both act as a router. I did this as an experement last night. The signal isn't as strong as with a wireless router, but it got the job done. I followed the directions found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

fastvfr
11-29-2004, 15:23
Right.

Actually, I set up an AdHoc recently that runs a laptop's Web connection and everything else from a cheapo HP on DSL through its USB port, and an installed 802.11b WL card.

You just set up the DSL desktop as the gateway and run Network Setup on both PC's, setting shared folders, drives and printers. Have the desktop share its Web connection, and whenever the laptop is close enough, it can connect and go surfing.

There are "pigtail" antennas for the 2.4GHz radio WiFi cards; GET ONE for the PC...it will give another 20 yards of range, at least.

I would never set up a business this way, or even my own network, b/c it isn't anywhere near secure; but if you want a Quick -n- Dirty network on the cheap, then this is it!

Good luck,

FastVFR

Wulfenite
11-29-2004, 17:22
The reason I ask was this last weekend my wife and I both took our laptops away on vaction. We were not at the wireless router at home but I just occured to me that we ought to be able to share files straight between the two machines witout th e router as a go between.

Also, my wifes in school and it would be great if she could set it up so they could network her learning team members together when they get together to work on a project.

I'll have to play around with these ad-hoc networks and see how it goes.