Help Me Decide Please !!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide Please !!!!

RaiderRodney
11-26-2004, 21:38
Christmas time is almost upon us and my wife has thrown a new twist into gifts for my two sons. SHE has suggested either a Gamecube or PS2 for them ;f I bailed on the console market several years ago and vowed to stay PC...however this has to be dealt with...as bad as I hate to ;f

I would like suggestions from everyone. Should I go Gamecube, PS2, or X-box and why?

I do all my gaming on PC now, and to be honest, I really couldn't care less. My two sons are very big Metroid fans and I am leaning that way since the Metroid Prime Gamecube pack is out now for $99 ;) But, the online capability of PS2 and X-Box is appealing now that I have broadband.

So lay it on me, what should I do??

podwich
11-27-2004, 00:42
I vote for the Xbox. Halo2 is out now and it's a heck of a lot of fun playing online. They're pretty cheap right now as well (you can get the Xbox with a controller and at least one game included for $150).

MikeG22
11-27-2004, 01:54
I say Xbox. Lots of games, halo 2 and other games are nice online. If they like the shooter games the xbox is the way to go. If they are very young kids then the gamecube is more oriented to them. PS2 has some good titles out too, but I think the xbox is the best package right now. I'm all for playing online games, I can skip trying to beat the game and just do multiplayer online and be quite happy. And the PC has been perfect for that but I ended up getting an Xbox just for halo and now halo 2 and with xbox live online play is pretty nice.

RaiderRodney
11-27-2004, 18:04
Thanks ;) Anyone else got any pointers??

NRA_guy
11-27-2004, 19:32
how old are your sons?

younger kids = gamecube

older kids = PS2 or x-box

Wulfenite
11-27-2004, 20:02
Yeah, age is important. Mine is 7 and while he has fun with the xbox there's are not a lot of kid oriented games available; some....enough even perhaps, but not a lot.

The other big factor is game costs. The PS2 used game market is huge. There xbox games are available used but most stores will have about 1/4 as many xbox games as ps2. So if you're really interested in not paying retail for the newest games or plan on aquiring a huge library, the PS2 has an edge.

The nice thing about the console games relative to PCs is that new software is easy to load, they boot fast and dont crash or freeze. This is particularly good for the kids who are not computer savvy.

lomfs24
11-28-2004, 00:35
Xbox! Ghost Recon 2 is also out and look great. I haven't tried it yet though.

RaiderRodney
11-28-2004, 17:43
My boys are 11 and 6....and my daughter 3 is also going to be in the mix before long ;g

I really am leaning towards the Xbox for an all around for everyone choice (plus all the modding options are very tempting to me, hehe)