Steady Stix, bipod or monopod? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steady Stix, bipod or monopod?

bbauman
11-27-2004, 09:07
Thinking of getting some support for deer and coyote hunting. Deer hunting is 70% sit and 30% stalk through thick stuff. Coyote would be 100% sitting/calling. Anyone have any opinions? Which is easiest to transport, lightest, sturdiest?

Dogbite
11-27-2004, 10:15
Ive been thinking about the same thing,for coyotes.If you dont care about a bipod hanging off of your rifle,i think its the way to go.A pair of shooting sticks could be very light and portable--i would want them if i was stand up hunting.

A_Swede_17_1911
11-27-2004, 12:33
Ive checked out a set of steady sticks, they were the 39" tall ones if i rember right they were good if you were knealing. Same with some of the bi-pods some are good for knealing some for sitting and some for the prone.

I like the steady sticks, because you dont have someting hanging off your rifle when you stalking, less to grab brush, plus less wieght too. You might want to buy the bi-pod for coyotes, and the sticks for deer. If i were go with just one it would be the steady sticks.

BlackBelt
11-27-2004, 17:27
I've used the shooting sticks for 2 years now deer hunting. I didn't have a stand until this year, so I would set up a portable stool in some bushes and have the steady stix in front of me w/my rifle sitting in the "V" waiting for a shot. Worked out pretty well for me.
This past year I bought the longer version of the Rocky Point stix. They are just a little more to carry, but worth it in the long run.
The only modifications that I made to them was that I went to Bass Pro Shop and bought some fabric Mossy Oak camo tape, and taped it on the long parts of the stix. The sticks come with that black finish that is just a bit too shiny for me, so I prefered the camo finish that cuts the glare. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I feel better with the camo tape on there.
I also took the sticks on turkey hunts last spring, but the shots that I took didn't involve the sticks. What it does is keep the rifle right at shoulder/eye level so you don't have to move too much. Those turkey will see even the slightest movement, so it helped me out there.
Just my .02 cents...

StockGlock23
11-27-2004, 23:23
I have a Harris Bi-pod knock off. A Stoney Point 13-23" on my muzzleloader. It has a little bounce and if the crew is tightened down a little too tight it changes the bullet path. I am not sure why but I know that the sling stud is connected to the band that holds my ram rod in the gun. I imagine if it is too tight it is putting pressure the barrel by squeezing it up against the stock. It also cants the crosshair reticle about 4 degrees clockwise. So you have to see how it works on your gun. I like mine I never leave without it but I do not use it all the time.

sharpshooter
11-29-2004, 19:30
I made these in about two hours. I pretty much followed Varmin Al's directions from his web page, except I used an eye bolt for easy finger tightening, and I wrapped the top few inches with sports wrap and then sports tape to protect my guns, then painted it camo. They work great and are almost "over-built", but kinda suck for carrying. I usually slip one of the legs thru a strap on my back pack and let it hang out of the way while hiking.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p69caad4c30c08ba53a56c8eab053d7d6/f85178bc.jpg

noway
11-30-2004, 07:05
I bought one of those monopod steady sticks from cabela's last year and to be quite frank, I never used it. It was a pain carry around and the based did no good for my long guns in support. I shot much better offhand vrs using the stick for support.