Cheap Road Flares [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Road Flares

Slinger646
11-28-2004, 08:26
Anyone know of a place that sells cheap road flares? We have all the popular catalogs (Galls, Darley, Chief Supply,Etc.)

groverglock
11-28-2004, 22:32
The one I carry on my engine are from the Highway Patrol. Here in CA, the HP must replace any you use for traffic control.

You might check with your Highway Patrol to see if they will do the same.

Slinger646
11-28-2004, 22:49
We dont have any interstates in our 1st due. We used to snag them from County PD, but the PD brass put a stop to that. Cant understand why, we all play for the same team. We usually order from Galls type places for small stuff like that, but every penny saved.....

TerraMedicX
11-29-2004, 15:02
Originally posted by groverglock
The one I carry on my engine are from the Highway Patrol. Here in CA, the HP must replace any you use for traffic control.

You might check with your Highway Patrol to see if they will do the same.

Yea, that's about what we do.....except we usually get someone to distract the troopers for a while and then send the newbies to grab all of the road flares from the trunks of the patrol cars! ;)

(j/k, they give them to us willingly)

Nate.

strummer
11-29-2004, 21:18
Try any rail yard or depot in your area. Locomotives carry lots of'em. If there is a depot with a roundhouse they'll have the motherload !!!

Later.

Slinger646
11-29-2004, 21:57
Thanks guys, CSX has a pile of tracks in our first due with a depot down the road. never thought of that:)

N2DFire
11-30-2004, 07:15
Slinger,

For some possible freebies - talk with your local State Police (skip the locals) and VDOT Office. If they aren't in a giving mood maybe you could at least arrange to "group buy" with them to get some on the cheap or find out who they get theirs through.

As for Galls - if your really going to keep getting stuff from them, you need to see about setting up a governmental purchasing deal with them. Will save you some $$ on everything. (Ex. My Rocky First Meds are catalog @ $159 but we got them for like $118 & change)

CMA G21
11-30-2004, 07:28
You might want to look at rechargeable electronic flares.
Cheaper in the long run (if you have to replace the ones you use) and you don't have to worry about them igniting fuel spills.

http://www.ledlinc.com/safetyproducts/turboflare/

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mednet-store/tufl360elrof.html

Glkster19
12-01-2004, 15:01
Our dept just purchased some of these LED flares. They look like they'd be alright at night, but I question their brightness during the day. They are durable, can run over them with a pumper without damaging them. They're around $8-$10/each IIRC. Not too bad since they're re-usable. I don't even know if we've used them yet so I can't really comment on how well they do work on a scene.

Slinger646
12-01-2004, 22:57
Thanks guys for all the help, we're getting in on the next order w/VDOT, in the meantime, we re-allocated 3 boxes from a cruiser that had been wrecked to our zone car:cool: Sometimes it sucks being a small, poor dept.

Glkster19
12-02-2004, 14:43
Originally posted by Slinger646
Sometimes it sucks being a small, poor dept.

Don't feel lonely, in case you haven't been watching the news the Revenue Sharing at the Federal and State level has been drastically sliced in recent years. Although I agree on your comment, it is affecting larger depts. as well. :soap:

N2DFire
12-03-2004, 09:21
Originally posted by Slinger646
Sometimes it sucks being a small, poor dept.

I'm not sure who said it to start with, but I really feel like it must have been a firefighter ;f

We have done so much with so little for so long, that now we can do anything with nothing forever

Needless to say I feel yer pain. Hang in there and feel free to e-mail or PM me directly if you have and VA specific questions.