Handgun Hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Hunting

.40CALJHP
11-28-2004, 17:21
i purcheased a ruger super red hawk 44 magnum 7.25" barrel for deer hunting or bear.going to get a nice scope also my question is i never went hunting before and i dont care to much for rifles so for a hunting handgun how does she rate for deer or bear.

JimM_PA
11-28-2004, 18:58
It'll work just fine for deer. I suggest spending enough time on the range until you are able to hold a tight group at 50 yards before even thinking about hunting with it. A red dot sight is another option that you might want to consider.
Jim

TJC
11-28-2004, 20:00
I've got the Ruger SRH in 9.5". Last bear I took in Maine was 310 dressed and it was no problem at all.
I've never had a chance to use it on whitetail. At least I never got a shot at one when I had it deer hunting. Should work fine.

As stated above, make sure you can hold good consistant groups out to 50 yards before attempting to hunt game with it.

Steve in PA
11-28-2004, 21:29
I've taken several deer with my 9 1/2" SRH using 240gr HP-XTP's. Great medicine. I also use 300gr XTP's for bear, although I have yet to get one.

Tomorrow I'll be hunting with a rifle, but later in the week I might switch to the SRH. Hunting with a handgun is alot of fun.

vafish
11-29-2004, 08:06
.44 mag will work fine for deer out to 100 yards. Around here the majority of shots on deer are 25 yards.

Start practicing now. Shoot at 9" Paper Plates. See how far out you can keep all your shots on a pie plate shooting off hand (like you would in the woods). If 25 yards is as far as you can do that limit your shots to 25 yards.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-29-2004, 15:29
Vafish is correct.

The .44 mag is great, and the SRH is fine, but it will only be effective if you can shoot it accurately. So, you've got to know your distance -- both at the range and in the field.

Nice big buck at 100 yards, but you can only shoot well at 50 yards, what do you do?

If you've never hunted before, then you likely have a lot of things to learn before you can get a good standing broadside within 50 yards. With a handgun, that is what you are striving for. Even better if it is within 25 yards.

Those deer out there at 100 yards might as well be a mile away. Just watch them and learn from them. If you spooked them from coming in closer, then figure out what you did. Did they smell you, did they see you move, did they hear you? Those are the 3 things you will have to work on, over and over and over and over.

The deer will come within 25 yards. Believe me. I've had them at 5 yards (of course I couldn't move, not even to blink). If you want handgun hunting, then this is the road you have chosen. :)

Steve in PA
11-29-2004, 17:58
Well, I knida wished I had my SRH with me this morning. I passed on 6 different does twice (they came by my stand twice in about 1 1/2 hours). I was using a rifle and wanted to hold out for a buck, so I didn't take one.....but I was tempted.

If I would of had the SRH, I'm pretty sure I would have taken on of the does that painfully (to me) presented numerous broadside shots as the walked about 40yds in front of my stand.

Oh well.

CanyonMan
11-29-2004, 18:30
I've used the SBH 7 1/2" barrel since the 70's, and it, or the RH, either one, will work fine for the deer or black bear... As some have said already, 300gr. xtp's are great, i like them as well, but 'prefere the 300gr cast bullet.'

if you "do not," reload... Federal, makes a 300gr. cast bullet that is plenty enough for the deer or the bear... they work very well.

I know the guy that makes the bullets for Federal. He also makes them for cor-bon, and buffalo bore...(the cast) bulltes that is.

They, the Federals, have a wide meplat on them, and that 300 grainer, has plenty of punch to go through both shoulders of a deer and keep trucking.

Enjoy hangun hunting!

CanyonMan

.40CALJHP
11-30-2004, 18:37
thanks for the replies