No more .wav files off of CD's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No more .wav files off of CD's?

modgun
11-28-2004, 19:15
So maybe I am off somewhere but...

All my old cds used to be in .wav format. (no compression) Today I tried to throw a cd in and everything is being recognized as .cda format.

When did this damn cda take over everything?
I know that cda is not the actual file (they are wav, I know they are wavs because they have always been wavs) but it is like a bookmark or something I guess or like a table of contents.
Anyway, it is either the new version of WMplayer or JR's ITUNES that is doing this. No matter what I try I can not get to the actual .wav files on my CD's. Something is internally automatically recognizing them as cda.

Now the problem is that sometimes I prefer to use this ancient media player that wont play cdas.
I do not want to be forced to use a 3rd party software to convert, or rip to hdd, just so I can listen to an old CD.

Anybody?...

AAshooter
11-28-2004, 20:12
Good question . . . been wondering the same.

podwich
11-28-2004, 20:36
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that before. My guess is that it's some lame-ass attempt at stopping people from copying CDs. What'd be interesting would be whether Linux, etc., people see the .wav files or .cda files.

Ljunatic
11-28-2004, 20:41
ever since I started burning cds the files were cda and converted to wavs by my software.

Sinister Angel
11-28-2004, 21:10
Well, the audio on CDs are not wavs. wav files is an audio format that is encoded a certain way. You can use different software to rip the CDs. The one I usee is cdex
http://www.cdex.n3.net/

modgun
11-29-2004, 02:48
Actually yes the data on the average audio cd is (or was at least) in .wav format.

I know this because like 5 years ago I ripped about 300 cds onto my computer. They were all .wav format. I tried those same cds today.

Up until today anytime I put a cd in and look at it in explorer they always showed as their actual format of .wav. Also indicitive is that they all are only like 44kb files so they surely arent the real data making up that file. Obviously a "pointer" file.

Before I could always see what it was and the true size.

Now (ive narrowed it down to more likely being windows media player 9 which jr had to have to make something work, and he recently installed) wmp or maybe itunes is making Explorer only read the pointer file.

To exacerbate (sp?) the problem getting rid of wmp or even rolling back to a former version is not as easy as it used to be. Essentially you cant now.

This is why I normally use this old wmp, the old grey one, like ver 4 or 6 it doesnt boss you around like the blue one does. I used to be able to run both the blue and the grey together with no conflicts. I only had blue because sometimes it is neccesary for certain new programs to run.

Now even removing and disabling wmp9 doesnt work. It still is acting on explorer's recognition of audio cds in the drive.

My only hope will be to system back before updating to ver. 9.

modgun
11-29-2004, 03:13
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Well, the audio on CDs are not wavs. wav files is an audio format that is encoded a certain way. You can use different software to rip the CDs. The one I usee is cdex
http://www.cdex.n3.net/

Dont get me wrong im not at all trying to be difficult, so...

If it is not .wav then what is it?
I understand what you are trying to say, but the data on a cd comes in a format whether it is wav or whatever right? When you rip from the cd to hdd often encoding is chosen as a means to reduce the file size because the original cd data is very large.
It is large because it is uncompressed and is "lossless" as opposed to a compressed encoding which is "lossy" and has a lower sound quality.

Wait...so are you saying that cds have no format to the data and that wav is just a lossless encoding format used as opposed to a lossy encoding format ?

Oh, also, how does this affect my issue? I mean relating to the specific topic of the thread I have started. I appreciate the info and clarification but am I overlooking something?

modgun
11-29-2004, 03:19
Originally posted by Ljunatic
ever since I started burning cds the files were cda and converted to wavs by my software.

When I started burning ripping like 5 years ago Explorer would open my cd drive and show all files as wav.

It did as such until today.

Anon1
11-29-2004, 07:26
I think that your are mistaken, maybe a poll is in order:

Ever since I started ripping music cd's to hard-drive about 9 years ago the files have always shown up in a file manager like Explorer with a .cda extension.

Jtemple
11-29-2004, 08:51
I have some CDs that I bought years ago, when CDs first started being sold. I'll have a look at them and report back when I have the time. As far as I can remember, they have always been .cda files.

SamBuca
11-29-2004, 14:24
There are no wav files on your CD.

It's 16 bit 44.1khz raw audio stored in CD-DA format (Compact Disc Digital Audio), created in 1980 by Sony and Phillips. CD-DA is similar to wav, except the files have no headers..rather just the data, error correction and control data.

Your PC converts it to a wav file when it rips it...and your PC "sees" files so that it may open it.

fastvfr
11-29-2004, 16:06
Right you are, Sam.

But when you use CDEx or some other 'tune archiver' app, you'll have the option of putting .wav (HUGE) files onto the HDD or saving the songs as .mp3 files....

The wav files are often 40MB or larger for a song that takes up only 6-8MB in .mp3 format. ;g

CDEx is nice in that it allows you to Convert wav->mp3 and vice versa. And, it is free.

chevrofreak
11-29-2004, 16:29
Originally posted by Anon1
I think that your are mistaken, maybe a poll is in order:

Ever since I started ripping music cd's to hard-drive about 9 years ago the files have always shown up in a file manager like Explorer with a .cda extension.

agreed