Helocopter games? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Helocopter games?

gordonfactor
11-28-2004, 22:39
Does anyone know of any decent helocopter games for PC, PS2, or X-Box? I have jet fighter-type games and GTA with some helo action but was looking for something geared toward Apache or Commanche type games. I have PC, PS2, X-Box. Any suggestions? Thanks.

fastvfr
11-29-2004, 16:49
You get to fly several different US and CHICOM choppers in Battlefield: Vietnam...

I'm not aware of many purely helicopter PC games, though you can DL .a free Demo of Air Strike II here. (http://www.terragame.com/air_strike_2.html)

I have not played it, so I dunno if it stinks or not. Try it out and let us know!

Then there are some reviews on helicopter sims here. (http://compsimgames.about.com/cs/combatflight/tp/helicoptersims.htm)

Hi-Pot
11-29-2004, 17:13
Ahhh...Gunship by Microprose. Now that was a classic. As far as modern games go, I know not.

DesertEagle
12-01-2004, 06:41
Gunship 2000. One of the first PC games I frothed at the mouth for. Fly I think 6 different choppers, go up in rank to command your own flights instead of being a WO lackey ;f Greate graphics for it's time. I wish the more recent Gunship! would have been a faithful remake instead of an "arcade" game. Janes Longbow 2 was a good one from a bit more recently, but it's still old news.

Nowadays games are just too Arcadey, the REAL simulations just don't get published very much any more. The last GREAT simulator I've found recently is B17 The Mighty Eighth. I could most likely climb into the cockpit of a REAL b17, and know how to start the thing based on the game. Now THAT is what a simulator should be. Set magnetos, activate fuel pumps, open cowl flaps, throttles check, supercharges check, mixture to full rich, etc.

Of course this is for GAME games. Flight Simulator takes the cake for realism as far as I can tell, and does have a 2 choppers by default, and you can always download a fair number more. But of course there is no combat, no killing stuff. But you can practice your NOE flying. My friend is taking flying lessons in a Robinson R22 and when he tried the one in the game, he said it was as close to actually taking a lesson as he thinks he could come for not being there taking a lesson, so it sounds like that one at least got it dead on...

D.E.