.357 magnum vs. .44 magnum for deer. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .357 magnum vs. .44 magnum for deer.

11-29-2004, 17:14
Hello.

Sometime in the next year I want to start reloading. Right now ive narrowed it down to .357 magnum from a M19, or a .44 magnum from a M629 (or 29). I plan on getting one after deciding what caliber.

I want this gun to serve three purposes. First, a nightstand gun. Ive always liked the simplicity of revolvers and the power of the magnum calibers. Second, a small deer gun. Im pretty accurate with handguns (although I admit I need some improvment), and I would rather hunt with a handgun than a rifle for now. Third, I would like a good all around gun, something I can shoot 200 FPE loads in up to 600 FPE loads (I wont be reloading the higher pressure ones though).

Either caliber would be fire for #1 and #3, but how to the two compare for deer hunting? Does anyone know any good sites for reloading? I know next to nothing about reloading, except you replace the primer, fill a predetermined amount of powder in the case, and put the bullet in. Other than that im clueless.

Thank you for your time!

vafish
11-29-2004, 17:58
I've used .44 Magnum and .45 Colt handguns for deer hunting for 20 years now.

They work fantastic.

But I think the .44 mag is not the best choice for a night stand gun.

Big B
11-29-2004, 18:28
I agree with vafish. The .44 mag penetrates way too much to be a nightstand gun. However .44 mag is better for deer.

noway
11-30-2004, 07:15
HMC_44mag and you are asking 357 vrs 44??? ;)

Go with your screen name, get the 44mag and load it down with a 44spc loading for in the home use. 44mags can take anything in the North American continent with RIGHT load and in moderate distance with no problems. The 44spc was design for like target and police work, so it should be great for in the home use. The 629 stainless model if a great gun for the field or home and with a good 6" bbl the gun just feels very right. The 696 is not a bad model either for carrying.

357glocker
11-30-2004, 07:30
You sound like somebody who needs a 41mag.
As for the reloading there is the: www.loadyourown.com
and www.reloadbench.com

ithaca_deerslayer
11-30-2004, 12:10
Originally posted by noway
HMC_44mag and you are asking 357 vrs 44??? ;)

Go with your screen name, get the 44mag and load it down with a 44spc loading for in the home use. 44mags can take anything in the North American continent with RIGHT load and in moderate distance with no problems. The 44spc was design for like target and police work, so it should be great for in the home use. The 629 stainless model if a great gun for the field or home and with a good 6" bbl the gun just feels very right. The 696 is not a bad model either for carrying.

Noway, you've pointed out the obvious!

.44 mag rounds for hunting.
.44 special rounds for home defense.

I love shooting the .44 special rounds. CCI blazer has some good semi-jacketed ones that won't foul up porting, if you get a ported revolver.