Norton AntiVirus 2005 edition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Norton AntiVirus 2005 edition

Zoolander
11-30-2004, 13:59
Anyways, I have been using Norton 2003 for the last year and my yearly subscription is going to expire in just two weeks. Should I just renew the current plan or should I buy the 2005 version and delete un-install the 2003 version?

TMK
11-30-2004, 14:15
Personally, I finally got tired of Symantec Corporation and all their nonsense...2003 crapped out on me and 2004 was a nightmare...

Try AVG 7.0 Free Edition - CLICK HERE (http://www.grisoft.com) I use it and it works great!!!

Regards, Ted

fastvfr
11-30-2004, 18:04
There aren't any good reasons why you should continue using that product.

There are several FREE AV engines that work better, use less resources, and have been rated as more effective than NAV.

AVAST! Personal and AVG 7.0 Free are both excellent.

Don't be surprised if Norton totally borks your machine when you remove it. That is the nature of all Symantec 'products and services'. Also, don't try their Support Line for help unless you want to spend $39.99 more, because they will refuse to speak with you until you pay in full with a Major Credit Card.

Being forced to pay a corporation in order to obtain an explaination of why their expensive product broke your OS is BS. They'll tell you you need to install NAV2005 Full Edition to restore your PC's functionality, though they know that won't help the OS in any way. It does help them line their pockets, though!

If you doubt this, you can go to Trend's site and do their online virus scan now. (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp) Don't be surprised if your Norton was missing all sorts of stuff...

After the scan, DL AVAST! or AVG and when it is done loading to your HDD, open the Control Panel and uninstall Norton.

When that finishes, remove all evidence of NAV, such as Dead Update, ect. Then shut down any DSL or cable Internet access, reboot, and install the antivirus of your choice.

When it is done installing, it'll want you to reboot. Go for it.

When the PC is back up, go online and update the AV scanner you just installed and do a full scan. This sometimes finds trojans that NAV let in to have a little party and Trend missed, especially with AVAST, so again, don't be surprised.

If you do not have Spybot S&D 1.3 installed, grab that, install it, and update its definitions. Do a full scan with it as well.

I use Ad-Aware in conjunction with SB S&D, since one will find things the other didn't and vice versa. Use both and you too will have nearly complete crapware detection capabilities. So go to their website and download it as well, then do just as you did with SB S&D.

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. If you have lots of issues with NAV's removal, make a bunch of backups of your vital files and reinstall the OS. That's probably going to work better for you than having a shop look at it, since that will set you back $100 or more, and is not likely to help much.

StoneGiant
11-30-2004, 20:32
Here's another solution... go on e-bay and buy a 2004 version for $6.25 (S&H included).

SamBuca
12-01-2004, 00:40
mcafee.com