Carry gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry gun

reinbeau
11-30-2004, 19:13
Ladies, I need suggestions on a good carry gun. As I said in the carry purse thread, I want a smaller pistol than my G23, and it has to be something I can purchase here in MA. What do you all use and like?

pete1953
11-30-2004, 20:46
My wife, Lynn, has a Ruger SP101 for carry, but she prefers to borrow my S&W642 because it is lighter. She likes wheelguns! She carrys in a purse that has a concealment side pocket. I always have a wheelgun on me either as primary or backup. My other gun for carry is usually a Glock 36. Weighs about as much as a SP101 and a little more than my S&W640. It too could fit in her concealment pocket of the purse. Both 642 @ 38+p and 640 @ 357mag have internal hammers and are 5 shot revolvers. (15 oz and 20 oz respectively)

Glockgirl26
12-01-2004, 10:27
Check out the subcompact Glocks, the 27 uses the same ammo as your 23 but is more concealable. I have the 26, which is the subcompact 9mm, and love it.

SouthernGal
12-01-2004, 13:05
My other gun is a Colt .380 Pocketlite. It is no longer manufactured but there are other ones out there that are similar.

The only problem with this one as far as I can tell is that you really have to "yank" the trigger--the pull is 12 pounds. It is VERY easy to conceal.

FoxyC
12-02-2004, 14:50
I carry a Kel-Tel P-32, when I don't have purse or can't conceal the G19. It is super small and super light weight and super accurate.

I wasn't real thrilled that I had to buy two different types of ammo, and the fact that the Kel-Tec is considered a mouse gun, but I got a great deal and couldn't pass it up.

It has really worked out nicely, it is easy for me to carry on my ankle and I also bought a Kydex (sp?) holster that I can change from an IWB to a pocket holster with a screw driver.

reinbeau
12-02-2004, 19:10
Well, I don't think I can buy a Kel-Tel here in MA, but I can buy a Seecamp, and they're for sale right now at the local gun shop. I've wanted one for quite awhile, and Christmas is coming......:)

Jaegergirl
12-02-2004, 19:31
i don't have my carry permit (yet) but purchased the g26 for ccw when i'm able to. i love it (and love it even better with an "agrip" on it).

:)

FoxyC
12-02-2004, 21:17
Originally posted by reinbeau
Well, I don't think I can buy a Kel-Tel here in MA, but I can buy a Seecamp, and they're for sale right now at the local gun shop. I've wanted one for quite awhile, and Christmas is coming......:)

I don't understand. How come you can't buy a Kel-Tel in MA? Why a Seecamp and not a Kel-Tec, as I understand from the bf, Seecamps are hard to come by and Kel-Tec's are plentiful...at least in KY anyway.

Also Kel-Tec's are pretty afordable compared to the Seecamp.

Also from the bf - Seecamps have trouble with hollow points, with the exception of silver tips.

I swear by my mouse gun. ~2

reinbeau
12-03-2004, 03:31
Beats the heck outta me, we have this stupid list the Attorney General puts out, and if it is on that list, then you can't buy it. I haven't checked the list yet, but the Kel-Tec isn't available from Four Seasons (http://www.fsguns.com) so I don't think they're sold here.

Cat91
12-08-2004, 19:53
I carry my 23 but if I wanted something smaller it would be a .44 or .357 Smith with the really sawed off barrel. I'd like to drop the bad guy with the first shot.

Miao, Cat

flygirl
12-12-2004, 00:04
I favor my KHAR K9 for carry. But then I also enjoy my Daewoo P51. Both are nice weapons that I feel very comfortable having on my hip.

Cat91
12-12-2004, 07:46
How do you like the Daewoo? I almost got a 9mm full size one-I can't remember which one- a few years ago. I ended up with the 23 because I had a first generation model 19 MANY years back and so I felt like the .40 cal version would be just as good...which it was, but the Glock is a little too big for my hand.

We've got a Steyr M-9 that I like a little better than the 23 but I carry the 23 because I like .40 better than 9mm for stopping power.

Miao, Cat

Vic303
12-13-2004, 15:26
Smaller in what way? I suggest looking at some 1911's. If you want a wheelgun, buy it in .357 not .38spl so you can load either that way, safely. I routinely carry a 4" or 3" 1911,(Kimbers) or a Taurus 605 snubbie.

reinbeau
12-13-2004, 16:25
Actually, Vic, I'm leaning towards a wheel gun. There are some featherweight S&W's that look promising. I'll have to get up to the gunshop after Christmas and see what there is to see.

Cat91
12-13-2004, 18:03
I think she means smaller as in "smaller size" as opposed to less caliber.

If I were to give up my 23 it would be for a Steyr M-40 or M-40A1, I think. Or one of these S&W snub-nose .44 Magnum revolvers. They are smaller around the grip and hubby's M-9 especially is a tack-driver. I'm just sorta partial to .40, I think...lot of LEOs I know swear by it but several of the departments here seem to be going to .45 ACP anymore.

The model 22 and 23 Glocks are a little big to grip. Okay for two-handed, but not so much for one-handed. I have the same problem with SIGs and Berettas of the Model 92 type, too. I hated the M9 to the max when I was in the Army.

Tho I like my model 23 enough that I can't see spending a lot of mony for what would essentially be a lateral move. I got it because at the time you couldn't get 14 round magazines for the .40 cal or 9mm Steyr around here even as a law enforcement person and I could get standard mags for the model 23, no problem. It is basically great for carrying in its special pocket in my purse for days at a time. And is ready to go whenever (if-ever) I need it.

Miao, Cat

Vic303
12-13-2004, 21:30
Ann, if you are thinking wheelgun, I can recommend Ruger GP100's or SP101's. S&W always makes nice stuff, too. But stay away from super lightweight ones unless you enjoy painful recoil. My 605 is light even all day, and it is a full stainless snubbie.

c-mama
12-23-2004, 06:27
Just my input. I don't carry yet - but my .357 65 LadySmith is great. Now, like I said, I haven't carried it around yet, but I love the way she shoots and am extrememly comfortable with her and I think that's the important thing. ;)

Cat91
12-24-2004, 16:48
Crosspost from the carry purse thread :)

I committed Glock SACRILEGE tonight. Traded off my 23.

Hubby's packing a Steyr M-9 and has been after me to get a gun we can swap ammo on to save money at the range. I used the opportunity to get something to fill my hand with...that actually FITS my hand-the Glock's grip is a little fat for my tiny hands.

I got a Fabrique Nationale FNP-9. You can drive tacks with it! And it has 16 round magazines. Still full size, but fits in my purse just like the 23 did.

Miao, Cat

flygirl
01-23-2005, 06:49
Originally posted by Cat91
How do you like the Daewoo? I almost got a 9mm full size one-I can't remember which one- a few years ago. I ended up with the 23 because I had a first generation model 19 MANY years back and so I felt like the .40 cal version would be just as good...which it was, but the Glock is a little too big for my hand.

We've got a Steyr M-9 that I like a little better than the 23 but I carry the 23 because I like .40 better than 9mm for stopping power.

Miao, Cat

I like the Daewoo alot. It is very nice to shoot.

Melissa Ann
01-25-2005, 16:24
If you like the wheelgun, go for a J-Frame in 357/38. You can practice with the 38s and carry the 357. Great option. I got one for Christmas. Very nice little pocket gun. :)

Arizona
01-28-2005, 04:11
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9505LLarge.jpg

My favorite carry gun for now, Springfield Ultra Compact lightweight 9mm.

reinbeau
01-28-2005, 17:08
Wow, what a pretty gun! (I mean that respectfully, not in a fashion sense! :) )Too bad they aren't legal here in good ole Massachewsits (dammit!) I get so tired of that damned list.

Jaegergirl
01-28-2005, 19:04
Originally posted by reinbeau
Wow, what a pretty gun! (I mean that respectfully, not in a fashion sense! :) )Too bad they aren't legal here in good ole Massachewsits (dammit!) I get so tired of that damned list.

wow, that IS a nice looking gun. i was just telling my husband last weekend while we were at gander mt. that i'd like another gun. just might have to take a look at that one!!

please excuse my ignorance, ann, but why is that gun illegal in your state? i was just curious.

Jaegergirl
01-28-2005, 19:12
oops, you can disregard, ann, if you want. i just looked on packing.org and saw the "list" of approved handguns. i wonder what characteristic(s) "makes and breaks" the list.

reinbeau
01-29-2005, 05:37
Originally posted by Jaegergirl
oops, you can disregard, ann, if you want. i just looked on packing.org and saw the "list" of approved handguns. i wonder what characteristic(s) "makes and breaks" the list. Who the heck knows....the whim of the Attorney General :( And the idiot wants to run for governor....we're even more screwed if that happens!