Is Xp 64 bit beta version worth installing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Xp 64 bit beta version worth installing?

popnfresh
11-30-2004, 19:20
Is anyone using 64 bit xp? have any problems? is there any notable difference from regular XP?

fastvfr
12-01-2004, 07:35
No, I haven't used it as I'm still a 32-bitter, and yeah, there are lots of notable diffs...lousy driver support being one, and even more bugs being the other.

Like Longhorn, you can try it, but you probably won't like it as much as you would enjoy using most Linux distros out there.

popnfresh
12-01-2004, 16:52
I just got a new motherboard and processor(64 bit), so I thought I would try 64 bit xp.

I have never replaced a motherboard or processor, so I'm sure I'll have enough problems with that task alone, no need to add a buggy os into the mix.

BTW fastvfr, I am currently running the xp home os that came with my computer(e machines). I only have the restore CDs that say
"THE CD WILL ONLY WORK WITH AN E-MACHINES PC", when I put in my new mobo and processor will the software(XPhome)currently on my HD work with the new hardware?

Should I just go buy Windows XP Home and do a clean install?

The old processor is a 1.7GHz celeron, the new is an AMD Athlon64 3000+. The old mobo is some generic? intel board, the new board is a Gigabyte k8vt800m, if it matters.

I am not very computer literate so try to keep it in laymens terms.
After installing Service Pack 2 I had problems, while working with a microsoft tech, I lost the video drivers(got back), and my BIOS/computer doesn't see either of my cd drives among other strange behaviors. The tech said it must be a hardware issue(;Q), so I decided to upgrade sooner than I had planned, maybe kill 2 birds with one stone.