View Full Version : Yoyong....

v1ct0r
11-30-2004, 20:02
==================================================
Typhoon alert: 'Yoyong' to hit all of Luzon

Updated 07:14am (Mla time) Dec 01, 2004
By Fe Zamora
Inquirer News Service

STOCK up on food, blankets, baby food, medicines -- and pray the latest weather disturbance to threaten the Philippines will change course.
Said to be stronger than Typhoons "Unding" (international codename: Muifa) and "Violeta" (Merbok) and tropical depression "Winnie," Typhoon "Yoyong" (Nanmadol), with projected center winds of 120 kilometers per hour, is expected to hit land on Thursday.

"This is rather strong, so we are calling on the public to monitor, and if the direction [of the typhoon] does not change, please evacuate to safer areas," Defense Secretary Avelino Cruz Tuesday said during a briefing at the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC).

"Mas matindi ito (This is the strongest) and this is already the fourth [typhoon], so we can expect the waters to rise," Cruz added. He said he expected typhoon signal No. 3 to be raised over affected areas, mainly in Luzon.

Cruz said Yoyong would "hit a wider area, almost the entire Luzon, but would be concentrated on the border of Region 3 and 4."

"So let us just pray that Typhoon Yoyong will change its course," he said.

Region 3 is composed of the provinces of Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac and Zambales while Region 4 includes the Calabarzon region (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) and the Mimaropa region (Occidental and Oriental Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan).

He said that if Yoyong would maintain its current course and speed, "the local governments will have to decide when to declare a state of emergency" in their respective localities.

Cruz said he had already placed the military, police and Coast Guard units on alert along the path of the incoming howler.

Yoyong would be the fourth typhoon to strike since Nov. 14 when Unding battered the provinces of Camarines Sur and Mindoro Oriental, killing several people.

Unding was followed by Violeta, which hit Aurora province, also on the eastern coastline of Luzon, and by Winnie, which has killed more than 200 people.

Vice President Noli de Castro, Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman and Defense Undersecretary Ernesto Carolina flew by helicopter to Infanta town in Quezon province to check on the extent of the damage.

"They could not land, so they diverted to Palayan City, Nueva Ecija (province)," Cruz said, adding that roads to Palayan had been cut off due to floods.

Cruz also appealed to media to provide information about people stranded on rooftops so they could be rescued by government teams.

Initial information from the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) gave Yoyong's position at 1,530 km east-southeast of the Visayas as of 2 p.m. yesterday.

PAGASA said it had strengthened into a typhoon and even accelerated its west-northwest movement toward the archipelago.

With a report from Norman Bordadera

==================================================

link (http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=1&story_id=19829)

Hope It will change its course... ;Q ;Q ;Q

mikey177
11-30-2004, 20:22
Thanks for the heads up. That's right in my backyard practically.

Alexii
11-30-2004, 20:38
What happened to the supposed El Nino season to hit us this month?! I hope the government allocates a substantial budget increase for PAGASA.

mikey177
11-30-2004, 21:11
A budget increase for PAGASA is a must (this would be a better use of our taxes than those *&#!%$ pork barrel funds). In yesterday's newspaper, the PAGASA chief was ranting that they only had three radars covering our 7,107 islands, which made it very difficult for them to give accurate and timely forecasts regarding current storm location and direction.

Allegra
12-01-2004, 07:48
Originally posted by mikey177
A budget increase for PAGASA is a must (this would be a better use of our taxes than those *&#!%$ pork barrel funds). In yesterday's newspaper, the PAGASA chief was ranting that they only had three radars covering our 7,107 islands, which made it very difficult for them to give accurate and timely forecasts regarding current storm location and direction.

Maybe they should just watch CNN

New_comer
12-01-2004, 09:54
I monitor this site instead: www.typhoon2000.ph

They provide US Navy & Japan forecast that are much more reliable.

PAGASA? Better dissolve it na lang to save us several more millions of inutile government expenses. ;P

mikey177
12-01-2004, 16:12
That is one informative site, New_comer. Thanks for the link.

julianz
12-01-2004, 21:33
Just look at the bright side guys No Water Shortage for the rest of the year;f

riddler
12-02-2004, 14:10
Originally posted by julianz
Just look at the bright side guys No Water Shortage for the rest of the year;f

Yeah, but is it potable???? ;e ;e ;e

Anyway, I hope y'all are okay there.

mikey177
12-02-2004, 18:28
I can't speak for other areas of the country, but the worst part of the typhoon seems to have passed over Urdaneta City, Pangasinan last night. The electricity went out around 9:30 last night and the winds were howling furiously. Fortunately, there were no floods in our area, and no flying roofs that I know of. There were however several large branches that fell along McArthur Highway from Tarlac to Pangasinan when we were heading home around 7 p.m. last night.

The storm warning has been lowered to signal number 1 in this area, and obviously, power has already been restored :)

I hope everyone else had a safe evening.

9MX
12-02-2004, 19:46
Originally posted by riddler
Yeah, but is it potable???? ;e ;e ;e

Anyway, I hope y'all are okay there.

well you can boil it, or use puritabs (remember these? parang di na minamarket );)

riddler
12-02-2004, 20:36
Originally posted by 9MX
well you can boil it, or use puritabs (remember these? parang di na minamarket );)

or use 1 tsp of clorox bleach for every gallon....;f

seriously, glad that you are okay mikey!