Well, I got my deer this year [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well, I got my deer this year

Weaps
11-30-2004, 21:23
Button buck. At the parents place in the backyard woods. Not a large deer to be sure, but since this was the one and only shot I have take with my bow in seven years I have to be pretty proud of it. My dad left me off in the woods behind their property and I stalked through the woods after immediately seeing a flash of tail. After about 10 minutes or so of stalking, I saw about five of them get up and go in many different directions one of them having the misfortune of coming towards me. I don't remember drawing, but I did as I saw him in a tiny opening in the brush and trees and took aim. I estimated he was 20 yards from me and aimed accordingly. When he looked away from his buddies and at me I released. My arrow flew true and I saw him go down. His buddies scattered away and fled out of the woods; I saw them flee across the neighbors yard down to the creek that ran through the property. I waited for awhile because usually a deer hit with an arrow will run if pressed. In the meantime I called my father, but he didn't answer because his phone was buried in his hunting gear. Then I called my mother at the house and she answered. I told her in a lowered voice that I got one, and to let my dad know. Then my dad called back and I told him the same and he would come to assist me with the tracking/dressing/retrieval. Shortly after that I figured that this deer wasn't going anywhere and walked the 15 yards it was to where he lay. The result you see linked here.

My 2004 deer. (http://www.walkerjs.com/photostuff/deer-2004/IMG_1226.JPG)

I realized that this deer wasn't going anywhere because he was stone dead where I dropped him. So when my dad came over we dressed him out (about 100 lbs., not bad...) and dragged him to the house.

Not bad for breezing in and walking in the woods for a half hour or so eh? We tagged, checked it in and got ready for the next day to fill another tag. That was for my dad's turn, but it was not to happen during my stay. I've been bowhunting since I was 12 or so, but this was the easiest hunt I've ever done. I suppose there is something to be said for starting out early.

Will be looking forward to next year.

Hoingshiba
12-01-2004, 12:31
First off, is that in the eye? pic is a little unclear on my screen. I wish I only had to walk into my backyard for hunting, the quail would be excellent, but i live in a city. ANyway. congrats.

As far as your sig. "Vs lbh unir genafyngrq guvf, lbh ner n ERNY Trrx!"

V'z abg a trrx, whfg n trbpnpure! so there....haha

ithaca_deerslayer
12-01-2004, 13:24
Originally posted by Hoingshiba
First off, is that in the eye?

Same question I have. If so, how'd that happen, since you shot when the deer was looking away. Also, if so, then I assume it was a bad shot on your part, but with a lucky result?

What's with the white sneakers?

Good eating :)

12-01-2004, 14:26
...how'd that happen, since you shot when the deer was looking away...

...When he (the deer) looked away from his buddies and at me I released. My arrow flew true and I saw him go down...

Nice shot! (as you got the deer, but missed primary target area)

Weaps
12-01-2004, 14:27
Yes, it was in the eye. That was supposed to read "when he looked at his buddies I drew, and when he looked back at me I released." Hitting him in the eye. Arrow penetrated all the way to the back of the skull; you could feel the broadhead just underneath the skin.

I estimated him at 20 yards away, he was actually 15 or closer, so I was aiming for his vitals (he was facing chest on to me) but shot a little high, hence the eye shot.

Was probably dead before he hit the ground.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-01-2004, 14:36
Weaps, that's probably one of the best lucky shots I've ever heard of, and makes great story. Especially since the deer dropped in his tracks.

Another version could be that it was either him or you, and he turned toward you with a mean look in his eye. You were both squinting at each other, not backing down. Then suddenly he began to charge ...