Just Installed Radeon 9200SE and I can't play SWAT 3 anymore! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Installed Radeon 9200SE and I can't play SWAT 3 anymore!

alterego
11-30-2004, 22:58
Hey folks,

Just installed a RADEON 9200SE in my Gateway (replaced the on the mother board video). Everythign works ok but when I try to play Sierras SWAT 3 I get the following error message:

"Unable to set 2d video mode (640x480)

and the game dumps.

Tryed reinstalling Swat 3 to no avail

Tryed setting the "compatability" so it runs in 256 colors 640x480 from the get go.

Same message.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not relishing the thought of calling Sierra's tech support for a 4 year old game...

chevrofreak
11-30-2004, 23:40
did you disable the onboard video in BIOS?

alterego
12-01-2004, 00:15
nope.

I'll give that a shot.

alterego
12-01-2004, 01:09
Checked the BIOS and it was already set to the AGP card.

Tried SWAT 3 again and it's still not working.

Also downloaded the demo for Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault and it tells me that my video card doesn't support Directx 8.1 even though the documentation with the game says that it specifically supports this card. I checked EA's forum and I'm not the only one with this problem. NObody has a soluton though.

I'm bummed. I had visions of super cool gaming with my phat new card but I'm batting a big zero.

What to do?

Goober35
12-01-2004, 01:25
Is your old video software still on the computer. If it might still be trying to run it. Right click on the desktop and go to properties and then settings. See if you new video card is sulected. If not did your new video card come with software and did u install it. Also does the RADEON 9200SE have a second power hook up or does it just draw from the board.

alterego
12-01-2004, 01:49
The new video card is installed properly as far as I can tell. When I click on properties everything comes up "Radeon" and the radeon software is running in my system tray.

The 9200 just runs off the board.

Goober35
12-01-2004, 02:15
What chip set was on your last video card. This could be a driver thing. You might not have the right drivers for the card.

alterego
12-01-2004, 04:31
I didn't have a video card before this. The video was running off the mother board.

Good news is that I downloaded the demo for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and it runs like gangbusters and looks great. Before I put the graphics card in, my machine would choke on it and I had to turn the details way down. Now I have every thing cranked up and it runs real smooth. Guess I know where part of next payday is going.

Wish I could figure out what is up with SWAT. That's a great game.

Hailstorm
12-01-2004, 06:21
Ok, first off. Go download the current drivers from ATI.com . Your card was set up to run DirectX8.1 but will run in DX9. This is most likely a driver issue. If you still have a problem after the current download. Then contact ATI. Something else to remember. In the grand sceme of things. This card is still a lower end card. Great for the money tho. But, not everyone would spend $500 on a vid card like me :) . I love my 9800XT. Although I probly would have been ok if I would have just bought a 9600Xt instead and saved a few bucks. Well, enough of my stories of wasting money.;f Download current drivers. If that don't work. Contact ATI. It will take a couple days to get a response usually. But they do help. And if your card is bad, they will replace it.

NetNinja
12-01-2004, 11:52
Silly question time.

have you gone to the website that makes SWAT?

Check thier downloads section they may have a patch.
Also sometimes they have a forum that you can post a question.

Goober35
12-01-2004, 12:51
Originally posted by Hailstorm
Ok, first off. Go download the current drivers from ATI.com . Your card was set up to run DirectX8.1 but will run in DX9. This is most likely a driver issue. If you still have a problem after the current download. Then contact ATI. Something else to remember. In the grand sceme of things. This card is still a lower end card. Great for the money tho. But, not everyone would spend $500 on a vid card like me :) . I love my 9800XT. Although I probly would have been ok if I would have just bought a 9600Xt instead and saved a few bucks. Well, enough of my stories of wasting money.;f Download current drivers. If that don't work. Contact ATI. It will take a couple days to get a response usually. But they do help. And if your card is bad, they will replace it.

Im like you but i like nvidia though 400 bucks or so now.
Like i said and you said i think it could be a driver problem. He might not have the right ones. They are people that pack this **** and could have slipped up on something and not dropped in a driver disk or they exspect you to go online and get them.

AZ-Boog
12-01-2004, 13:41
The drivers are usually packed with the hardware. They will almost always NOT be the most current. Go here:http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

and find the latest drivers for your video card.

Make SURE you uninstall the old drivers first before installing the new ones. The ATI site has installation instructions to walk you through the procedure.

good luck.

BTW, If you can return the video card do it. The "SE" line of cards is limited in features and performance. Try to get, as one other member suggested, at least a 9600XT video card.

alterego
12-01-2004, 13:52
I've downloaded the lastest drivers. The card works perfectly with newer stuff. It's just the four year old SWAT game that is a problem.

I searched through ATI's website and didnt' find any help. I'll try Sierra's next. I have a trouble ticket open with ATI.

I know it's a lower end card but it's still way better than the on board video I did have.

I preciate everybodies help.

GLOCKFAN4LIFE
12-01-2004, 13:55
I had same problem set your resolution in game to 1024-768 and your desktop to same turn your monitor hrz down to 60 or 70 and see what happens...also ck your monitor drivers to make sure they are compatible to your video card...

Washington,D.C.
12-01-2004, 15:01
You can use Driver Cleaner to remove the old drivers completely http://majorgeeks.com/download3214.html I've had some resolution problems before also.Driver Collector sometimes works better but it's older http://majorgeeks.com/download3982.html

alterego
12-02-2004, 03:24
Tried turning down to 60hz to no avail.

Looks like I'm running a generic plug and play monitor driver.

Thing is, I'm using a cheap "starlogic" monitor and can't find drivers for it. It's probably made by somebody else. Wish I knew who so i could find a driver.

Anyone have any ideas?

Washington,D.C.
12-02-2004, 08:47
Not the monitor driver but the video card driver should help a lot.

Washington,D.C.
12-02-2004, 08:52
http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?p=248755#post248755

Washington,D.C.
12-02-2004, 08:53
You should completely remove the previous video card driver,then install the latest.

Washington,D.C.
12-02-2004, 08:55
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=62855

alterego
12-05-2004, 03:17
Ok. I have everything fixed now.

As is frequently the case with stuff like this. I had more than one problem.

1) I did have a driver problem. When I updated my drivers through windows automatic update thing, it did update. However when I went to ATI's website I found a thing called "catalyst" once I downloaded and installed that, the problems with MOH:Pacific Assault went away.

2)I had SWAT installed on my drive and had downloaded an update from Sierra for it before I installed the card. Once I uninstalled it and reapplied the update, it started working.

I appreciate everyone's help.

chevrofreak
12-05-2004, 21:15
Just a tip, NEVER get drivers though Microsoft Update! They've fuxed up more computers than they've fixed!