Hunting dog [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting dog

biggerIS better
12-01-2004, 13:14
Time has come for a new hunting partner. Im thinking pointer but want an "all around" type hunter. I have looked at german wire hairs and wirehaired pointing griffons. Any one know anything about either of these? Any other suggestions?

TJC
12-01-2004, 18:25
I've got 2 Drahthaars. The complete German line version of the GWP.
They are a great all around hunting dog. While I only use mine for upland, I know guys that use their DD's for duck hunting, upland, and even tracking blood trails of wounded deer.
They are a strong, very smart dog. Bigger than the avg. German Shorthair. My 2 females came from the same breeder. Both were just under 70 lbs. I say was because the one is now almost 13 years old and has lost some weight. She still hunts like a champ though.
The new one, 2.5 years old is right at 68 lbs. and nothing buy muscle.
The wire hair helps protect them a bit in the field and supposedly when they are used in cold water for waterfowl.

Great dogs!! I will get another one when something happens to the oldest dog.

vafish
12-01-2004, 21:35
For a good all around pointing dog, not water fowl use though although she loved to do water retrieves with balls, I was really happy with my Brittany Spaniel.

ucsdryder
12-01-2004, 22:55
I have a 13 month old GSP that is awesome. She is getting ready for her first chukkar trip to Nevada this month and I have very high hopes for her. She is a great dog to have around, and has been pointing since she was 5 weeks. She is a little hyper, but I expect her to calm down as she grows up (her mother is EXTREMELY calm). I think I prefer the GSP to the Wirehair for both looks and fur length.
GM

biggerIS better
12-02-2004, 08:17
Thanks for all your replies. TJC- when you got your DD did you do the different tests that most of teh DD breeders are requireing these days?
I looked hard at a GSP and to be honest havent totally written them off. Everything I have read says teh GWP and the WPG are more versital. While most of my hunting with a dog will be quail or woodcock, I do get out for ducks every so often. The other thing that I enjoy are rabbits. Before doing some research I had no idea that the GWPs would hunt fur as well as birds. Thats really the only reason I have shyed away from the GSP. Besides, my wife thinks the GW and WPG are ugly.. which is reason enough to get one:)

gt656
12-02-2004, 14:35
a great pointer is also a vizsla, sometimes called a "hungarian pointer".

similar to a gsp or wiemaraner (sp) although a beautiful solid golden brown color.

great bird dogs and excellent family pets. VERY SMART, need an owner just as smart and lots of excercise.

we have rescued 4 over the years and have met many nice people just walking them.

TJC
12-02-2004, 19:52
No, I did not go through the tests as I did not/do not plan on breeding her. In fact, I had her spayed and got many real dirty looks from other members of the Drahthaar Clubs.
Yes they will hunt fur as that is part of their field testing. I've watched the dogs training for the trials go from rabbits to ducks to quail/pheasants all in a matter of hours. They really are one of the most versatile dogs out there.
They are also a bit larger on avg. than the GSP.

If you want the name of a good breeder that ships all over the country and world, let me know. I'll PM you.

WalterGA
12-02-2004, 22:04
Pepper, the DemocRAT-Biting Dog. They just don't get any better than this.

ucsdryder
12-02-2004, 23:24
That's one ugly dog. Must be a RepubliCAN'T!

GM;)

biggerIS better
12-03-2004, 09:22
OK walter i'll "bite" what kinda dog is that??

TJC give me a shout of you know a good breeder, I havent decided between the GWP and the WPG yet but the more breeders i know teh better answers i get. BTW, what did you breeder say about not testing? The 4 breeders I have talked to basically make you promise to test them before they will even sell you a dog. I have no intention of breeding. I am getting a male and may nueter him but not until he's a couple years old.

ucsdryder
12-03-2004, 18:21
Is there a specific reason you are getting a male? If not you might want to think about it. All a male ever wants to do is piss on it, fight it, or hump it. Females are a lot easier to train and much more loving (for the most part)

GM

WalterGA
12-03-2004, 19:45
Originally posted by biggerIS better
OK walter i'll "bite" what kinda dog is that??

You might not bite, but Ol' Pepper sure will! What kind of dog is Pepper? My kind of dog, that's what kind! ;)

TJC
12-03-2004, 22:12
bigger......

Emails coming your way.

biggerIS better
12-03-2004, 22:44
LOL I deserved that walter;g
Im getting a make because I have an english pointer as well. Wifes dog, show lines, cant hunt anything but the garbage!Dont get me wrong hes a wonderful dog for a pet but not a field dog.Figured getting a male would be easier.Our pointer is very submissive, ,he had a chessie as a buddy most of his life. We lost the chessie last year. So he needs a new buddy and I need a new hunting partner.

waterwolves
12-05-2004, 17:07
I'd have to go with a weimaraner. Excellent in the field as well as out of the field. Plus like someone said, You get compliments from everyone about how beautiful they look. I myself prefer males as I think they have more drive and are more eager to please. I have both male and female, and take the male with me all the time. The only time the female goes is if I'm hunting with more than two hunters. Here is a picture of my male Zeus.

waterwolves
12-05-2004, 17:21
One more thing I forgot to add. I hunt upland(grouse, woodcock, and pheasant)all the time and some waterfowl (duck and goose) in the early season up here. All my weims love the water and won't hesitate to make a retrieve in the water. Here is a picture of a grouse that I got yesterday. Good luck on your choice.

RMTactical
12-05-2004, 17:27
I'm thinking about getting a cur, they are supposed to be good dogs...

Craigster
12-08-2004, 17:15
Britts have been my choice for the last twenty five years. I donít know if they fit your criteria but have worked very well, both in the house and in the field for wild Roosters and other upland game. They will retrieve in water however are not thick skinned enough for cold climates but love to hunt in it.

Sorry this is a re-post of last years pics but I canít pass a chance to show them off.