Help needed w/Outlook Express [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help needed w/Outlook Express

Skyhook
12-02-2004, 06:13
When opening some of those emails which contain forwarded pages, say from news agencies, blogs, etc., I often get the "An error has occurred in the script on this page" notification and I am to click on 'Yes' I wish to continue, or 'No' I do not.
Problem is that stupid, little, worthless notification is quick- quick enough to keep me clicking until I am squarely locked into the 'clicking' and cannot get to read the intended message.
How do I disable that worthless thing?? :(

Thanks.

fastvfr
12-02-2004, 10:29
Install Thunderbird and never use Outlook Express again!

Try this, friend: Thunderbird e-mail client. (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/)

NetNinja
12-02-2004, 10:33
Ditto Get rid ouf Outlook express!

However I do use Outlook as my regular mail client

Stephen
12-02-2004, 11:06
Same here. Outlook Express is rather worthless. I switched to Outlook 2.x years ago and have had no issues.

Sinister Angel
12-02-2004, 12:34
I use mozilla.

Skyhook
12-02-2004, 14:13
I have installed and am running Mozilla via fastvfr's link. So far, so good! I appreciate this more than you can know!

Sinister Angel
12-02-2004, 17:56
Originally posted by Skyhook
I have installed and am running Mozilla via fastvfr's link. So far, so good! I appreciate this more than you can know! :cool:

If you want to do backups of your email, I can (or probably someone else) give you a quick little walkthrough if you are interested. I know it took me some playing around to figure out exactly what I needed backed up.

Skyhook
12-03-2004, 06:12
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
:cool:

If you want to do backups of your email, I can (or probably someone else) give you a quick little walkthrough if you are interested. I know it took me some playing around to figure out exactly what I needed backed up.

Thank you; I'd appreciate that. I just had to adjust the 'outgoing' password thing so I could send. Took some triffling.

Skyhook
12-07-2004, 08:00
is showing some 'weirdness'.
When downloading new mail, the lower portion of the Mozilla 'info panel' flashes/strobes.
Then, if I want to scroll through my emails, suddenly the page jumps and I am in the center of those listed emails.
Both of the above are happening consistantly.
Any ideas, anyone? Did I 'heff up' the business somehow?

Sinister Angel
12-07-2004, 13:36
Originally posted by Skyhook
is showing some 'weirdness'.
When downloading new mail, the lower portion of the Mozilla 'info panel' flashes/strobes.
Then, if I want to scroll through my emails, suddenly the page jumps and I am in the center of those listed emails.
Both of the above are happening consistantly.
Any ideas, anyone? Did I 'heff up' the business somehow?

I've never had that problem, but I also use the full mozilla suite instead of just thunderbird.

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 21:30
I have never used any e-mail client.How is Outlook so much better than Outlook Express?I know that Outlook Express comes with Internet Explorer 6 but I don't even know where to get Outlook.I guess you must pay for it.As I understand it,Outlook Express is a less functional,smaller version of Outlook.Is Outlook included in any of the software bundles?

fastvfr
12-07-2004, 22:12
OE is hosed from the outset by being a kernel app, cozied right up into Explorer just like Internet Exploder is.

Outlook is a module, just as Thunderbird is. I can say that some versions of Mozilla products have had less than stellar code included, and for that reason I usually use a copy that is 2-4 versions old.

If you got the newest Thunderbird, then it is possible you DLed a Beta copy by mistake. Maybe you can DL an older copy and install that.

Personally, I know the inner workings of Moz 1.3 and that is what I use for browsing the Web if I'm on an XP box.

Otherwise, it is Firefox, KDE, a Debian kernel, and me!!

Good luck,

FastVFR

PS. There are many settings you can tweak. Also, is your computer an older model? Possibly getting sort of slow?

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 22:29
I might try Thunderbird if I knew a good reason to use an e-mail client.I see that it requires POP mail or IMAP.In America those are normally paid e-mails.A friend must use Outlook Express for his work e-mail.I found a few free emails in other countries that offer free POP mail.Even Yahoo mail in certain countries includes free POP mail.I know there are some other free ones too but they aren't so common in America.

Skyhook
12-08-2004, 03:57
fastvr, I did get into the options, etc and tweeked things a bit-- got rid of the message field which was strobing- now only the bar strobes.
Yes, this machine could be old enough to be slower than it should be, it's a Dell 8250.
No matter, this flickering Moz is still a lot friendlier than OE!