System Update Before/After Graphics Card? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : System Update Before/After Graphics Card?

Stephen
12-02-2004, 09:34
OK guys - I went ahead and ordered a 6600GT card from NewEgg. It was about $8.00 more than other places but I have heard only positives about them and didn't like the look-n-feel of the other places selling for less.

That said I am still on XP SP-1. Should I go ahead and install SP-2 before I swap out the card or does it really matter?

I am assuming that the card will come with instructions on updating the BIOS and other variables?

Thanks again for all of your input.

NetNinja
12-02-2004, 10:36
You may have some problems.

Wait until you get the new card installed befors installing XP SP2.

I had to reinstll my OS due to the fact my machine did not want to boot with the newer grpahics card I installed.
Go figure. The many mysterys and surprises of upgradding a Winblows machine.

fastvfr
12-02-2004, 10:38
Unless you like having PC problems, or are ready to format and reinstall XP anyway, DO NOT install SP2.

I have seen lots of problems come from its use, particularly on an older OS that has been used for a while. New installs are better, but then there are issues with apps not opening (mostly M$ apps...;Q ) and networks getting borked from the 'security' features.

I use a hardened version of XP Pro SP1a and AVAST! AV, Spybot S&D, a hardware firewall in my router, and Ad-Aware. I have no problems at all.

You will not need to update the BIOS for a new AGP card.

You will want to download Driver Cleaner, (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html) , rip the current drivers manually from Add & Remove Programs, and reboot into Safe Mode before you use it to remove all vestiges of the old video drivers.

Then shut down completely, swap cards and restart. The OS will find the new card and ask you to let it install the drivers. Don't let it; instead, just insert the driver disk and let it go.

You also will want to use the Driver Cleaner app before trying out newer drivers. I currently use the Forceware 66.81 set and I find it is the best one yet. As always, due to hardware and software issues, YMMV.

Good luck!

Stephen
12-02-2004, 11:03
Great info - really glad I asked.

My version of XP runs just fine - I suppose I'll hold off on the SP for the forseeable future.

I'll also look into the driver cleaner routine. Makes great sense.

Thank you again for the information!

Sinister Angel
12-02-2004, 12:37
I generally just Re-os my system if I do a graphics card change. Makes life alot easier.

Stephen
12-08-2004, 17:47
Well my new card came in and I was soooo excited to put it right into my machine... that's when I found out that I needed an AGP card and not a PCI card.

To add a bit of insult to injury I found out that my moboard will only accept a 4x bus card.

So, that said - any new suggestions for a replacement card? I'd still like to stick with a 128MB card that has a 4x or 4x/8x bus.

Thanks!

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 18:30
If you have an open PCI slot or two you can replace the AGP card with a PCI card.I've run a lot of good PCI video cards and they work just fine.Install the PCI video card in the PCI slot nearest to the AGP slot.You can move your other PCI cards down if you need space.

Stephen
12-08-2004, 20:11
Well I am not sure that I even have a PCI slot. In my Dell there are 4 or 5 white slots of which 2 are occupied: NIC card and the modem card.

The current graphics card is in a green slot. None of the patterns of the slots match the card I purchased... none!:(

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 20:20
Oh you got a PCI Express card it sounds like.The white slots are PCI.Which Dell model do you have?

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 20:22
Did the new video card come in a box?It should say on it if it's PCI or AGP or PCI Express.

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 20:27
Some AGP cards look different but most are interchangeable.

Stephen
12-08-2004, 21:47
The box says PCI Express... I don't recall ordering the 'express' card though.

I just looked at New Egg and sure enough - it's an express card. I had no idea that there was a difference...

Stephen
12-08-2004, 21:49
Well, seeing how the card is NEW - I can return to New Egg and get the card that I need.

The question is - my mother board only goes to a 4x bus speed. If I were to buy an 8x card - am I playing with fire or a potential nightmare?

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 22:34
What type of card is the new one?What model Dell PC do you have?

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 22:35
Oh I see PCI Express I missed that.Yep that won't work.

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 22:56
yes you can buy an 8x card for your 4x board as long as

1) the 8x card specs say that it supports AGP 2.0 or AGP 2x/4x
2) and the card has a universal AGP connector (merong 3.3v and 1.5v keys)
refer to: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html (although this page is for ATI cards, the information presented should be similar to other cards like Nvidia)

fastvfr
12-09-2004, 01:21
Damn...that sucks.

There's that whole 15% restocking fee, too...

Well, yeah...you could have them send out an AGP version of that card.

Or, you could just get a better CPU and a PCI-Express MOBO to run your new vid card, and the 15% restocking fee even helps justify it!

Then you could sell the old CPU, MOBO and whatnot for cash to cover the new stuff.

Stephen
12-09-2004, 08:51
Thanks for all of the feedback guys - I appreciate it very much!

I'll take a peek at the web pages DC and see what I need to look for on my machine to see what will work.

VFR - I would consider swapping out my mobo however I still have +/- 250 days left on my Dell warranty... I would suspect that swapping the mobo would void the warranty on the other components in my box.