fitday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fitday

benji
12-02-2004, 10:09
www.fitday.com

anybody else use this website?
i just started doing it again and i had almost forgotten how awesome it is for tracking calories and such.
here is my entry, look at yesterday, i haven't eaten much today.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=bennyG19

runnergirl
12-05-2004, 22:52
avid fitdayer here!

I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget to add sleep to your activities. That threw me the first week I used it.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=sjjone

benji
12-06-2004, 06:58
i never mess with the activities, i just use it to keep track of my calories and macros.

RWBlue
01-03-2005, 11:31
How come I don't get number of cals. bured when sleeping included in my activity?

RWBlue
01-03-2005, 22:25
never mind I figured it out.

geminicricket
01-04-2005, 21:57
I am trying to use it too.

The biggest surprise was that it tells me my work, involving sitting with some movement, still has me burning over 3000 kcalories/day.

I'm curious to know what other fitdayers kcal/day avg is.

runnergirl
01-06-2005, 15:27
gemini cricket, are you adding sleep to your activities and still burning 3000?

I'm a 5'7" female, 140 lbs (only 10 more lbs to loose!:) ) and without sleep I burn around 2700 (sitting with some movement). With 6-9 hours of sleep that goes down to about 2200, and when I add an hour or two of "sitting quietly" (TV, internet time), it goes down to about 1900-2000.

I burn 500-1200 kcals in excercise, and aim for a minimum deficit of 500. I really love the reports feature that lets me see a bar chart of eaten vs. burned. By comparing that to my daily weight I've been able to see changes in my metabolism. I'm really a huge fan of fitday if you can't tell.;f

RWBlue
01-07-2005, 22:07
How do you put in a vitamin into Fitday?

BrokenArrow
01-11-2005, 12:41
Ya sure ya gotta loose those 10 lbs!? 5'7" and 140 pounds can look and feel pretty darn good IMO. ;)

Then again, if you are a distance runner, I can see wanting to lighten your load a bit, even if it is lean and mean at 140...

Form follows function; sounds like you know what you're doing. ;b

geminicricket
01-16-2005, 23:04
runnergirl; fitday tells me that with a Sunday of mostly sitting quietly and sleeping I'm burning 3653 calories.

I've been watching the results for 2 weeks now and it seems that fitday is not accurate in terms of predicting how much weight I will lose based upon how much I eat and how much I do.

It tells me that in the past 2 weeks I've burned an average of 2979 kcals / day more than I've consumed. It says that I've lost 6.6 lbs in those two weeks.

Taking 3500 kcals as the deficit needed to lose 1 lb, I would have expected to lose 12 lb.

Since my data suggest that I need to run a deficit of 6319 kcals to lose 1 lb, I should predict a loss of slightly more than 1 lb from Friday evening to Monday evening because I'll have a deficit of about 7300 kcals by the time I get back to the scale from the previous weighing 3 days earlier. However, the previous 2 weekends have shown a loss of slightly more than 3 lbs from the Thursday or Friday weight to the Monday weight.

Over the past few years I'd become conditioned to expect to see weekend weight gain followed by weight loss during the week in a repeating cycle of ill discipline and expanding girth. Now that I've had 3 well-disciplined Saturdays in a row, and 3 Sundays with just less than 2000 kcals taken on, I expect to see real weight loss from Friday to Monday.

I had long ago identified the weekend as my weak spot. Had I been able to overcome habitual overeating on weekends long ago, I would have ceased to be gargantuan long ago.

Of course, I did this by going to work on Saturday and having the sort of imposed starvation that I always get Monday through Friday.
Still, I have reason to hope that I'm demonstrating an ability to conquer my own bad habits.

For reference, my Wilderness Instructor belt is comfortably cinched
about 3 inches tighter about my belly than it was a month ago.

geminicricket
01-16-2005, 23:07
Originally posted by RWBlue
How do you put in a vitamin into Fitday?

I take a multivitamin. It's added into my belly and fitday doesn't know anything about it. I just add 100% to the totals fitday gives me.

Oddly enough, fitday assures me that my 800 calorie weekday diet gives me a full supply of vitamin B-12. Maybe my wheat bread is fortified or something.

RWBlue
01-17-2005, 07:25
I put my vitamin in as a custom food item.

As a side note: I still didnít get the proper amount of calcium or iron. So I needed to eat some different items.

geminicricket
01-17-2005, 22:17
runnergirl, as I said earlier I predicted a weight loss of slightly more than one lb for the weekend, and today's weight was 1.6 lb less than Friday's.

;+

Christine
02-04-2005, 23:21
So in order to get an accurate cal burned do you have to account for your entire days activities (24hrs)? It seems to me that they would have built sleeping into the basal / lifestyle baselines and then adjustments for lower activities (watching a movie 2 hours ) or high activity (running).

What are your experiences? Prior to starting with fitday I've been eating 2500-3000 calories a day and maintaining my weight for a full year at about that rate. Fitday with my basal / lifestyle puts me at 2837 (1534 basal and 1304 lifestyle). I notice that as I added my activities for Thursday (mowed the lawn, packed boxes, workout - cals burned for activities = 559) my total cals went to 3238 for a total change of + 401 calories.

My conclusion is that you should only add sleeping as an activity if it is a nap??? ;g

runnergirl
02-05-2005, 07:58
The most accurate way to calculate the activities in fitday is to put your lifestyle as totally sedentary or bedridden, and then add EVERY activity-shower, dressing, washing dishes and so on. That is time consuming however so I use the desk work with light activity catagory.

When I started using it I thought sleep would be included as well, but it really makes more sense for them not to include it. Hours of sleep varies greatly from person to person and hugly effects the number of calories burned in a day. If you check a nutrition text book out of the library and do the calculations yourself for your daily activities, RMR and so on you'll find that fitday is not accounting for any sleep. Many people on the runnersworld forums have discovered this.

I'm assuming that the name Christine means you're a gal, and close to my size as your basel is similar to mine. I'm a runnner gearing up for triathalon season, so I excercise about 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, and do a lot of walking on top of that plus the usual housework and so on. I have to run 6 miles and do an hour of martial arts to get close to 3000 total burned for the day. I occasionally am hungry enough to eat 2200 or so, but I would feel sick trying to get 3000 in, not to mention I'd gain a pound a week!

Perhaps you have a faster metabolism than most, or your portions are smaller than you think?

Christine
02-05-2005, 19:44
Thanks for the info, and good luck on the marathon! I am going to try Fitday for a while, I am incredibly lazy with my food diary (I track for a couple weeks then forget for a couple days and the don't bother for a couple days and then start up again) so I'm hoping this will encourage me, I am all about gimics ;)

I am sooooo not a runner, I get bored too easily. I added running to my workouts last January and definately see a positive impact on my heart reate (resting now = 53) and some leg muscle definition, but I have knee injuries (ex soccer player) so I really don't run much. I stick to intervals mostly and walking with incline and hand weights on the treadmill as well as the eliptical for cardio plus weight and core training.

I could stand to lose a few pounds (15 or so), but I really really like food ;f So I haven't really cut back on my calorie intake, I know if I do I will drop the pounds but then then I think cookies sound good;z

Christine
02-05-2005, 19:45
Sorry I ment TRIATHALON ! I'm a dork!;e

tag
02-07-2005, 07:32
8 hrs of sleeping reduces my total calories burned by 300 or so.