Question about file sharing on an ad hoc network connection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about file sharing on an ad hoc network connection

actionpup
12-03-2004, 21:58
I am a somewhere below a novice when it comes to networking. With that said, I sat up an ad hoc network connection between my notebook and my wife's. I am running WinXP and want to move some large files over to her notebook (mp3, pics, etc.).

Here is where my idocy shows...I can't figure out how to access files, copy files, or even see the darned things. I have set up which folders I want to share but then that is as far as I can get.

If any of you have advice on how to accomplish this (in terms that even this computer idiot can understand) I would be grateful if you would share!

TIA,
apup

DerekF
12-03-2004, 22:23
I'm assuming your wife's computer is an XP machine, and that both computers are in the same workgroup (usually named WORKGROUP by default).

On your machine, share out the folder you want your wife to have access to. To do this, right-click on the folder, click Properties, then click the Sharing tab. There will be a checkbox that says sharing - click that. Your folder is now shared.

From your wife's computer, double-click My Network Places. Click Entire Network, then Microsoft Windows Network, then Workgroup. The workgroup will show the computers in your network. Double-click on your computer. The shares on your computer will now be displayed. Double-click the folder with the files you want to share. Highlight the files you want to copy then drag and drop to the folder you want them to go to. Or, you can right-click on the files you want, click Copy. Then navigate to the folder you want the files copied to. Right click the destination folder and click paste. The file transfer will begin.

good luck!

actionpup
12-05-2004, 13:14
Thanks a ton! It worked! I appreciate your help. When you said workgroup in your note it reminded me I hadn't set one up. Even though our notebooks are the same model bought at the same time one had the default WORKGROUP in it and the other MSHOME. Once I set them both to WORKGROUP, followed your instructions and bang, had them sharing files.

Thanks again for your help!
apup

DerekF
12-05-2004, 17:29
No problem, actionpup. Glad to hear things worked out for ya.