coyote question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : coyote question

c10bonanza
12-04-2004, 14:31
When hunting coyotes, what do you do after a kill? I have never shot one, nor do I know anyone who has done any coyote shooting. I wouldn't think anyone would dress them for eating, but then again I have thought things before and been wrong. After a successful hunt, do you discard of the carcass or let nature go to work? Please forgive my ignorance.

RMTactical
12-04-2004, 15:28
Depends. Some people save the pelts. Some leave the dog to nature...

lomfs24
12-04-2004, 17:29
In the summer time they become buzzard bait. In the winter time I pick them up and I have a fur buyer who buys them whole. Doesn't pay quite as much as if I pelted them out but I don't have to spend countless hours in the wood shed after dark skinning.

I don't do anything to them. Pick'em up or let'em lay.

c10bonanza
12-04-2004, 18:36
Thanks fella's...how did you come across a buyer for the fur? Is it common for people to skin and save coyote pelts?

lomfs24
12-04-2004, 20:25
It is in the winter time if you live in an area where it gets cold enough for coyotes to thicken up (prime). Their fur gets thicker in the winter and that is the pelts that are used for a fur coyote coat.

Ask around at your local sporting goods store that sells hunting stuff for some names and numbers for local fur buyers. It might be that they only come around once in a while depending on how many furs are traded there.

Dutch
12-05-2004, 12:48
The first one I shoot I tanned the hide. Since then I leave them where they fall.

Just have fun hunting them!

tjpet
12-05-2004, 20:08
If you want to sell the pelt don't use a bullet that blows the ***** out of the dog. The less mess the better the price.

lomfs24
12-05-2004, 20:20
Originally posted by tjpet
If you want to sell the pelt don't use a bullet that blows the ***** out of the dog. The less mess the better the price.

Loosely translated. Don't use balistic tips or hollow points if you are planning on selling fur. I actually use a FMJ in a .223 and it does the trick just fine.

Hoingshiba
12-05-2004, 22:11
What seems to be an average going price for 'yotes? Also, do most traders prefer to do the skinning themselves or do they expect them skinned out already? Case skinned? I need info (aka. ammo money...)

lomfs24
12-06-2004, 00:32
The buyer that I has doesn't care whether they are skinned or not. He will give about $20.00 more if they are skinned. IMO that is not worth the effort it would take me to skin it out.

Just check with your buyer as to how he wants them or will take them

noway
12-06-2004, 07:10
You will always get more for skinned coyotes pelts vrs non-skinned. BUT coyotes and coons prices have fall over the last 10yrs. I've seen skinned and tanned coyotes pelts (w/foot attched ) sell for right around 80-90dollars over the last 2 years. Coons are much much more less, and exotics like bobcats and lynx fetchs more $$$s. 10-25ct per coon or squirrel tail.

These are about the prices that I've seen and gotten within the last 5years or so. But once YMMV. The more work you do with the pelts, equal more dollars in your wallet.

mpol777
12-06-2004, 12:21
I get an between $35-$45 for mine, skinned and untanned. Tanning adds a more value, but since I don't do it myself it's pretty much a wash after I pay for the service. Skulls fetch about $20, more if mounted. Claws are about $5 a set, but finding a buyer is tough.

noway
12-06-2004, 12:40
{Claws are about $5 a set, but finding a buyer is tough.}

Will I made your job easy. I'm in the markey for coyote teeths and claws. If you have any that you want to get rid of contact me PM or email. i need about 10 more teeth ( inscissors only ) and can use all of the claws that I can get my paws on.

HunterCO
12-06-2004, 14:22
I had a full body mount done and he sits on top of my gun safe. The rest I give to a freind who makes cotes out of them.

rfb45colt
12-15-2004, 11:49
I only hunt them in the winter, and it's very cold here then, so the pelts are prime (if they don't have mange:(). I just give them to a friend who owns a taxidermy business. He's teaching the business to his son, and he lets the kid do all the skinning for practice, so he wants the whole carcass. But before I carry it, or put it in my truck, I stuff it into a large garbage bag and twist tie it shut. The 1st one I shot, as I was picking it up by the hind legs, I saw fleas jumping off the dead yote onto my legs. ^4 I'm glad I was wearing white snow-camo... if I had on other camo, I might not have seen them.

BTW... I use an AR-15, with Winchester 55gr FMJ bullets. It doesn't damage the pelt very much at all. But my friend asked me to please stop doing head shots, as the fur is much shorter there and it's harder to hide the bullet holes. ;)

BigMadDog
12-28-2004, 19:57
I have a question. What is the best way to attract coyotes? My brother and I have been thinking about doing this for some time and we figure we will just go try it one of these nights. I know when i was a kid a farmer i knew would kill one of his sheep and we would sit in a tree house above it and kill 3 or 4 a night. Would it work for us to drag a road kill deer and do basically the same thing? Also i have noticed coyote calls at wallys world does anyone have any experance with these? And could a first timer use one with success? Thx and sorry if im kinda stealing this thread with questions.

lomfs24
12-28-2004, 20:01
There are electronic calls that you pretty much click on and go. I don't think you could screw one of those up. As far as road kill deer. Should work provided it is legal. Here in Montana you can not take a road kill deer or any part of a road kill deer. So here it would not be a good idea. Where you live it might me alright.

turrican
12-28-2004, 20:03
Eat 'em

BigMadDog
12-28-2004, 21:57
all have to call and find out if you can legally take a road kill deer from the side of the road here in utah. Does anyone happen to know off hand?

BillK@tcmhmrs.o
12-30-2004, 13:56
Did this for Uncle John in the Texas panhandle when I was in college in the 70's - they were marauding the new calves. Paid me and my cousin $20 for each set of ears. We hung the carcasses on the fence posts to serve as reminders to the rest of the packs that we were the Alpha Dogs.

PS the wags who are writing to eat them are just kidding...

Orkinmna903
01-01-2005, 18:52
BillK....

was going to try to e-mail you, u got it turned off. Anyways, Southeast texas resident here and i am planning a coyote hunt up colmesneil/tyler county way on family land. Would love some info on strategy and maybe someone with some exp. to tag along. If your interested, email me at Orkinman903@yahoo.com

thanks