okay whats the best small game eating? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : okay whats the best small game eating?

noway
12-06-2004, 08:05
Last sunday I invited a few friends up for a small game cook off. I did squirrel in chicken broth and cream of mushroom coon in crock pot for about 8hrs. We also fried and roasted 2 domestic rabbits. Everybody walk away with a tummy full of food but now the debate over which sml game animals makes the tastiest food is out on the fence. Everybody that never tried theses animals love them all equally. They gave congrats to the chief over the crock pot full of squirrel, pinto, and black eyed peas.

I myself love rabbit and squirrel 10 to 1 over deer. I just wish they weighed as much as a typical deer.

FullClip
12-06-2004, 09:28
Originally posted by noway
I myself love rabbit and squirrel 10 to 1 over deer. I just wish they weighed as much as a typical deer.

Holy Moley!!! Don't think I'd want a 200 pound squirrel or bunny rabbit chasing my butt around the trees!!!;f ;f That would put a whole new meaning to "dangerous game".;z

My favorite is between rabbit stew (snow-shoe hare) or a couple partridge breasts slow cooked with a batch of beans.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-06-2004, 10:25
Ruffed Grouse breast.

shrpshtr
12-06-2004, 10:28
it's hard to find any small game that will compete in tastiness over Mr. Bobwhite. it doesn't matter how you cook it. one of my personal favorites though, season with creole seasoning, wrap with bacon, grill for about 20 min on low heat...hmmm!

doves would have to be a pretty close second. breast them, put a slice of jalapeno along the breast plate, wrap in bacon, smoke them for about an hour...

man i am getting hungry!

noway
12-06-2004, 11:00
{Holy Moley!!! Don't think I'd want a 200 pound squirrel or bunny rabbit chasing my butt around the trees!!}

Will since you put it that way, I agreed with you. The last squirrel I killed fell from the tree on top of me. It was one of those straight up 20ft shot. I was able to defelect the squirrel at the last minute, this would have be much harder if it weigh 200lb ;)

Did somebody say quail? Yeap quail is one of the best fowl out their. Small, but good but I have to say pheasant beats quail 8 out of 10 times. Wild quail is also much harder to shot in most areas of the U.S, so I'm stuck with the frozen japanese quail. I ate some of these on friday over a apple wood fire and rub the butterfly'd quail with a little bit of salt,blk pepper and cajun season. Can you say hmm hmmm good.

HunterCO
12-06-2004, 13:25
I would have to say as far as small game go's qail is by far the best. Big game is a toss up between antelope and elk.

CanyonMan
12-06-2004, 13:28
Pheasant & Quail, in that order.
WITH:
Roastin ears, biscuits and gravy, Garden tomatoes, mashed potatoes, and my wife's secret recipie for 'cowboy beans'.

Man, this thread is making me real hungry.

CanyonMan

bustedknee
12-06-2004, 14:34
Hooters!

Really.

The grouse in Southeast Alaska are called Hooters because they hoot in the spring. Each male picks a a high spot then hoots and hoots.
They are great fun to hunt.

Split the double-layered breast into 4 pieces. Pound them with a meat hammer, dip in egg/milk, roll in flour/corn meal, then fry (chicken fried steak style).
Pounding them with the hammer is not to tenderize them, just to provide places for the batter to stick.

I would climb a mountain for hooter steaks.

Dogbite
12-06-2004, 21:08
Quail is great,and Dove is amazing.Take the little piece of meat(dove),wrap in bacon,and put on the grill,brush on dales steak sauce---i could eat a crazy amount of those!!

RMTactical
12-06-2004, 21:41
Chukar

TJC
12-07-2004, 04:22
I'll put another vote up for Chukar and/or Pheasant.

f1b32oPTic
12-07-2004, 10:08
there are some pretty small deer around here does that count?

Michigun
12-07-2004, 13:33
Originally posted by CanyonMan
Pheasant & Quail, in that order.

Ditto! ^c

Hunterjbb
12-07-2004, 18:18
That in order of goodness, Grouse, Pheasent, Quail, Dove. Squirel you can keep and Rabbit is ok but i used to raise them domestically and got tired of the little buggers..

Rottiserre grouse with sage and other wonderful seasonings is very good.. Pheasant i've always baked..

Goose i've yet to figure out how to cook the darn bird without drying the absolute crap outta it.. i've tried bags, in sauce, wrapped in bacon etc.. the secret alludes me.. Keep in mind i don't pluck the goose..

Oh almost forgot, although not small Game i think Wild Turkey is by FAR better then anything raised on a farm..

ok, now I'm hungry..

Jeff.

ucsdryder
12-07-2004, 23:31
Another vote for WILD chukkar. It doesn't get any better!

GM

rfb45colt
12-08-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
Ruffed Grouse breast.

Me too.

I've had plenty of pheasant and quail and dove, and they're good... but grouse beats them all.

MarkCO
12-08-2004, 09:26
Grouse might be my favorite "white" meat and elk is definatley my favorite red meat. Blues taste a tad better than the Sage variety. Have not tried Chukar yet.

After grouse, I'll have to go with Turkey, (unless that is not considered small game), Pheasant and then Sandhill crane. Tastes like dove, but they weigh 12-15 pounds.

BillK@tcmhmrs.o
12-30-2004, 13:05
I like your style Mr Noway, and agree with you about the delights of natural bounty skillfully hunted and cleanly killed. I like bird hunting and eating and am partial to a good squirrel meal. When I get my squirrel hunting rig out my two kitties get excited- they know I'll be bringing home some squirrel meat to share. My wife abhors the idea of eating them so I usually cook them out on the patio and make a picnic for me and the cats.... that is if I can drag them away from playing with the squirrel tails!

noway
12-30-2004, 13:59
yeap squirrel is mighty good but rabbit is always better.

noway
12-30-2004, 14:07
Let's see those tails

noway
12-30-2004, 14:13
Waschbär

Buzzsaw
12-31-2004, 23:00
Nothing ot me beats fried Quail. Deep fried wild turkey is very good as well. I also like to eat Doves wrapped in bacon. My dad used hunt Robins as a child and he said that you couldn't tell the difference b/t Robins and Doves.

CodeBlue23
01-01-2005, 21:45
I havn't eaten a lot of different types of small game but wood duck is certainly up there on the list. Just ate wood duck for dinner tonight as a matter of fact. Marinated for a couple days then cooked on the grill wrapped in bacon & tin foil.

noway
01-02-2005, 17:12
woodduck? I rather be eatin wood. ;f

They are pretty ducks but they and most wild ducks pretty much taste like mud. I'm actually going to cook "Sea, Air & Land " tomorrow, which incorporates 3 of my favorite items. Crayfish tails, quail and smoked rabbit ( hint: Sea Air Land )

Now that's some good eatin.

CodeBlue23
01-02-2005, 18:52
Who's been cooking the ducks you've been eating? If cleaned and cooked properly, wild duck is a very good meat. Wood duck is known to be the best tasting wild duck there is. Mallards are probably the 2nd most popular.

noway
01-03-2005, 07:31
Me and and almost all wood ducks down here taste like crap.

Best wild duck here are Mottled duck ( aka florida mallard ) pintails and green and blue winged teal breast. I never had a wild duck that remotely tasted as good as any domestic store bought duck and wood duck followed by the shoveler are the 2 worst ducks that I ever attempted to eat.

I think most of it depends on what they eat. If the ducks gets alot of grains, they will fat up and taste very good. The wood ducks down here aren't migratory and I bet in your area vrs here their's a big difference in food types which directly impacts the taste of the meat.

Btw, I love eatin ducks.

Glockerel
01-03-2005, 08:29
In this order please:
Grouse- ruffed, not spruce
Wild Turkey
Quail
Dove
Teal- THE best tasting duck
Venison Tenderloin tops the red meat list.

mossy500camo
01-09-2005, 22:18
Dove, Quail and Turkey.

Glock17boy
01-10-2005, 19:17
well... tough call. i'd say if it has fur, feathers and tastes half good i'll eat it. i can't really say if anything is higher on my list than another. although i'm an elk eater myself so forget the bigears and bushytails.;D

mad_dog30
01-12-2005, 08:27
Alley cat,, and no it does'nt taste like chicken...;f

TJC
01-13-2005, 07:03
Originally posted by mad_dog30
Alley cat,, and no it does'nt taste like chicken...;f

You been eating at the Chinese Rest. again?;f

noway
01-13-2005, 07:32
Hey, would frog and primary frog legs be consider sml game? I know of no squirrel a or rabbit that can comes close to the taste of some good prepared frog legs.

lomfs24
01-13-2005, 10:43
I am thinking I should not have read this thread before breakfast. Now, I am hungry.

I will have to go out and try some of this small game. I have never looked at rabbits and squirels as anything more than target practice. I have never eaten one of them.

Large game I would say that antelope would take the cake if you get a good one. I have had some pretty rank tasting antelope. Elk would be a close second and that is what I spend my time hunting. Antelope and deer are nothing more than a harvest. You drive out and shoot one.

Sundog
01-14-2005, 19:20
Originally posted by Glockerel
Teal- THE best tasting duck

Yum Yum!

http://www.birdsofoklahoma.net/images/gwteal02.jpg

modgun
01-29-2005, 17:44
Originally posted by rfb45colt

I've had plenty of pheasant and quail and dove, and they're good... but grouse beats them all.

Agreed 100%

hooter steaks...:drool:

quinnt
01-30-2005, 14:13
pheasent,grouse, goose,duck in that order

Goose i've yet to figure out how to cook the darn bird without drying the absolute crap outta it.. i've tried bags, in sauce, wrapped in bacon etc.. the secret alludes me.. Keep in mind i don't pluck the goose..

pluck their brest its not that hard if they are still warm idk abotu being cold

DO NOT get them any wetter than necesarry liek boiling water;m it doesnt help any

then just leave the skin and bake skin side up SLOWLY

hope that helps

king catfish
02-03-2005, 17:55
I'm partial to Cajun rabbit over rice, Southern fried squirrel, Chipotle dove breast wrapped in bacon,and grouse breast done any old way. Recipes available upon request, just send me an e-mail.

SouthernGal
02-07-2005, 13:05
Originally posted by CodeBlue23
Who's been cooking the ducks you've been eating? If cleaned and cooked properly, wild duck is a very good meat. Wood duck is known to be the best tasting wild duck there is. Mallards are probably the 2nd most popular.

Never try to eat a Hooded Merganser (that is provided you can even stand to clean the little booger). YUCK.

Pheasant has to be the best. Of all the stuff daddy ever brought home, this was the best. I like wild turkey but don't know if you'd consider that "small game".

Walter45Auto
04-09-2005, 21:41
Well, I'm not sure if frog is small game, but frog legs are good. BUT, hard to cook perfectly. You have to make sure you don't cook them to long cuz they'll dry out. The only two small game critters I've ever eaten are rabbit and quail. I like quail above rabbit.

;g

;8 ;I

bustedknee
04-12-2005, 12:58
Originally posted by CodeBlue23
... If cleaned and cooked properly, wild duck is a very good meat...

If I have a duck and you have a candy bar, you are willing to trade...we will both be happy.

noway
04-12-2005, 13:28
{If cleaned and cooked properly, wild duck is a very good meat...}

I heard this statement so often it's unbearable. NOT all duck tastes good no matter which way you clean it. Depending on the breed and type ( puddle or diver ) and what they feed on, determines more so than cleaning on how the duck tastes. I myself find the smaller teal to be somewhat better than most other puddle ducks and the shoveler has been the worst of the bunch that I've clean and cooked.

btw: I have yet to find a wild duck that tastes half as good as a domestic duck. ;)

Livetohunt
04-21-2005, 20:14
Elk, venison, pheasant, mmmm good!!!!!!!!!

Roger C
04-22-2005, 11:46
Originally posted by GoreLicks
Chukar

+1!

I'd also put in a secondary vote for venison tenderloin, too versatile to pass up.

fishshooter
04-22-2005, 16:20
Quail then rabbit. If we are counting frogs they top the list Is a 3 ft gator considered small game ? Small ones are way better than big bulls. Never had pheasant. Not too many down here, well, none actually.

duncan
04-24-2005, 06:14
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
Ruffed Grouse breast.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner.

Yummy

A_Swede_17_1911
04-29-2005, 20:14
Coot, mmmmm the green legged Goose :P
I like Venison Heart, Liver and onions my self.

Pheasant is good mmm, grandmas Creamed Pheasant.

I would have to say my favorite is probably, a 10" rainbow freshly caught and cleaned, in tinfoil with butter, a slash of beer, and lemon, salt and pepper grilled.

noway
05-01-2005, 09:27
Coot ?

That has to be the most foulest duck like creature that swims in our waters. My first cooking attempted with coot resulted in a meal that tasted like or comparative to mud. And I'm not lying ;)

A_Swede_17_1911
05-01-2005, 17:23
whacha talking about coot is the best, well we used to smoke it like jerkey and hand it out at work, told people it was duck jerkey, they never came around for more.:)

Walter45Auto
05-07-2005, 11:07
Originally posted by A_Swede_17_1911
....I like Venison Heart........

TOO MUCH WORK!!!! You have to get the layer of gristle that surrounds the heart off, then cut out all those veins. And besides that it's tougher than the rest of the meat. It'd be good for jerky, IF I felt like messing with it.

;g

;8 ;I

RMTactical
05-07-2005, 13:37
I could go for some jerky right now...

noway
05-07-2005, 20:43
{I like Venison Heart,}

I wouldn't really call vension heart "small game eating".;)

but they taste good when cook properly. I never had problems with cutting them up, just the draining of the blood and the mess it makes when you get one fresh right after the kill.

Hog heart is also good, but not as tasty as the deer.