Coyote hunting in the rockies. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting in the rockies.

AirMountainMan
12-06-2004, 11:40
I am VERY new at this coyote hunting thing. I want to get more into hunting the critters. I live at the base of the rockies.

I know there are many yotes on the mountain. During the summer they run sheep on the top of the mountain. Herders do have problems with the dogs.

There are some snowshoe hare, a few cottontails and some mule deer on the mountain. My question: What would be the best/most effective call in this situation? This is pine, quakey, scrub oak country.

Thanks

Scott

jptsr1
12-06-2004, 11:45
Originally posted by AirMountainMan
My question: What would be the best/most effective call in this situation?

What do you mean by call? Are you talking about what to use to bring them in or what to shoot them with?

J.

mpol777
12-06-2004, 12:04
There isn't any particular animal sound that is "best". The distress in the sound is the main draw. I use a variety of sounds; rodents, rabbits, birds, deer, etc. When I set a stand I start off with a soft rodent sound in case anything is close by, then kick in to cottontail, cape hare and marmot. One after the other for about 5 minutes a piece. This is all with a mp3 e-caller. I still use a mouth call, but it's more for directing the coyote than getting them in.

I toss in new sounds every once in a while to see what happens. I just picked up some that are of various african critters. I suspect they'll do pretty well, but haven't tried them yet.

AirMountainMan
12-06-2004, 12:29
I am referring to distress calls of any kind really.

Can you give me some lead on where you get the mp3 distress sounds and what you are using to play them? At the moment I may have to stay cheap and use a mouth call however. So any suggestions on which mouth calls to use would also help.

Thanks

Scott

mpol777
12-07-2004, 10:43
www.western-rivers.com has some free downloadable sounds. I use their Predation call. I think it's the best deal out there. Costs less ($250) than the FoxPro ($400) and it's more expandable. You can order it without the remote for $150 out of Cabellas. I don't know about the Mini Predation. I don't know anyone who has tried it, but at $30 it might be worth a shot.

www.allpredatorcalls.com has a slew of calls. A good starter is the Sceery closed reed kit. It comes with a rodent, cottontail, jackrabbit and a video. I'd definately stick with closed reed calls to start with. Open reed calls take a lot of practice and are more like playing an instrument.

tjpet
12-07-2004, 21:51
Although it may sound strange the best "lost" recording I've ever used was mewling kittens. Bought it from Burnham Bros. and it really does work.

1995GMC
12-14-2004, 15:30
The problem with hunting coyotes here in Utah is that after deer season is over, everyones a coyote hunter. Not saying you can't have some luck, but there's plenty of competition and educated coyotes. When I get home from work tonight, I'll post a picture of some Utah coyotes I killed last month using a Foxpro remote call and my .17 Remington BDL.

I can't get the picture to work. Oh, well.

Here's some good sites to check out:

www.predatormasters.com
www.coyotegods.com
www.varminthunters.com