Need laptop opinion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need laptop opinion

Critter
12-06-2004, 16:25
I am thinking about geting last years model at Sam's of this for 899. Everything is basically the same except a 60g hard drive and no remote. It does have a burner and everything. It's for my 15 yr old.

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-33761:-38929:-38935:872426

Hit or miss?

NetNinja
12-06-2004, 16:58
A 15 year old with a laptop?

The price and performance you are getting is really good.
However I am not familiar with that line of Laptops and what the warranty is. You get what you pay for. buyer beware.

2 things you need to consider.

1. You buy it because it is going to get stolen

2. You buy it because it will be dropped.

I guarantee you one or the other will occur. Unless it never leaves the house.

It's a tool and since it's portable it's going to get knocked arround.

beachside39
12-06-2004, 17:05
You didn't say what the processor is. I've had notebooks with Celeron, Centrino and Pentium 4. The Centrino would be my first choice followed by the Pentium 4. The Celeron is much too slow for much of anything these days. Certainly anything involving video, photos or graphics would not run well on a Celeron.

Built-in Wi-Fi as becoming a very nice option. Mine has 802.11G and Bluetooth. Very nice to have. I use the Bluetooth to sync my Pocket PC and with a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Bluetooth headphones would work too.

The rest is fine... 60GB drive is more than sufficient. I don't have a clue what a "remote" is however.

bobby_w
12-06-2004, 17:45
Will you be able to get a battery for it in 2 years?

Is wireless built in?

Get at least the 1 year extended warranty.

Averatec (http://www.averatec.com/index.htm)

Lucky 15 year old ;f

Critter
12-07-2004, 07:12
Originally posted by NetNinja
A 15 year old with a laptop?

Well, luckily all three of my girls took after the milkman, they are all smart as a whip, and the middle one is the only one that didn't get a laptop last year. So far my 17 year old and 13 year old haven't had any incidents with their's and the oldest one takes hers to college every day. The 15 yr old got 'jipped' last year because she took ove my old computer, put it in her room and didn't want to share. I could only get two last year, so now it's her turn. The 'magnet' schools the two youngest go to use the computers extensively, so I'm hoping it's a good investment.

The processer is the Athlon XP-M 2400+. I've got the Atholon XP in my PC and haven't had any trouble. The two Toshiba's my other girls Intel Pentium 4's and they have been good, but I just couldn't find a deal I was satisfied with this year on the Toshiba's.

I'm not sure about the battery availability in two years, but have been satisfied with the brands that Sam's carries on a continual basis. They have carried this brand for several years now and are picking it up again next year, so I'm thinking it will be okay, at least I hope so.

Thanks for the info.

Bill