gmrs frequency range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gmrs frequency range

Adams454
12-06-2004, 17:27
I was just wondering if anyone knows the frequency range of a gmrs radio? I'm trying to find out if the handhelds we use around the house could be used to talk to the 2m radios alot of people around here have. I think the 2m's use from 144 to 148 mhz. What do the handhelds use? We have 2 gmrs radios that my dad bought at a pawn shop for use around the house (mainly when we installed the sprinkler system). Thanks for any help.

theguyfrommich
12-06-2004, 18:39
gmrs freq are in the 462.000 and 467.00 range
wich is way above 2 meters but just above 70 cm 440

Adams454
12-06-2004, 19:02
Oh ok. I didn't realize they were so far off. Do the gmrs radios have their own band? I had just read on other posts that you really need a license to operate them. I was wondering why you need a license if they dont cross over to any other bands (police and fire, air traffic). I thought that was why hams had licenses. I really dont know anything about anything other than cb's. Just asking is all.

theguyfrommich
12-06-2004, 20:06
Originally posted by Adams454
Oh ok. I didn't realize they were so far off. Do the gmrs radios have their own band? I had just read on other posts that you really need a license to operate them. I was wondering why you need a license if they dont cross over to any other bands (police and fire, air traffic). I thought that was why hams had licenses. I really dont know anything about anything other than cb's. Just asking is all.
yes gmrs has its own freq. and power limits anr rules and reg. they sell the fmrs/gmrs radio that give you 28 channels to talk on with no lic.
But has a Ham you will not regret spending 30 min a night for maybe 2 weeks on some study material and becomeing a ham. It not only opens up more privaliges of where you can talk but you meet a lot of people.
Gordon west is a name I will not forget in my life time, he was who taught me and a lot of other hams morse code, by listening to him on cassetts. speaking of morse code you do not even need to get morse code to become a ham now days like when I took it in 1980's. You do not get the a lot of HF prev. but it still a lot of fun.

Gary STL
12-08-2004, 14:03
Originally posted by theguyfrommich
yes gmrs has its own freq. and power limits anr rules and reg. they sell the fmrs/gmrs radio that give you 28 channels to talk on with no lic.

A licence "is" required for operation on the GMRS frequencies.

theguyfrommich
12-08-2004, 18:36
Originally posted by Gary STL
A licence "is" required for operation on the GMRS frequencies. but under 1/2 watt there is special rules read here http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/
unless I,m reading it wrong

BrianDamage
12-10-2004, 15:48
but under 1/2 watt there is special rules read here http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/
unless I,m reading it wrong

if it is a frs/gmrs radio, then it is considered to be opererated under gmrs rules and license is required

http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrsbppfaq.html

mattyk6
12-17-2004, 20:56
Scanned this from my Motorola 57xx instructions:
http://www.mmkime.com/misc/GMRS_Freq.JPG

On my 57xx radio, channels 1-7 and 15-22 transmit at 1 watt. Channels 8-14 transmit at 1/2 watt. And yes, any radio that has GMRS capabilities, a license is required. And it covers everyone in your family, minus cousins. This includes your in-laws, parents, neices/nephews, brothers/sisters, and aunts/uncles.

The Popular Wireless forum is a good place to get info.

Matt

mattyk6
12-17-2004, 21:03
But has a Ham you will not regret spending 30 min a night for maybe 2 weeks on some study material and becomeing a ham. It not only opens up more privaliges of where you can talk but you meet a lot of people.

A Ham license does not allow you permission to use the GMRS frequencies or power levels. Only the GMRS license allows that.