venison recepies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : venison recepies

mdj1
12-06-2004, 20:30
this years deer hunting has been good 2 does and my oldest boy got a 7 point for his first deer ever. now the fun starts.

I'd like to get some recepies for making the steaks/roasts not tast so wild (most in the family say it tasts wild and wont eat it). Also I would like to make my own jerky.

Any recepies/ books/ or websites that could help? The only cookbook I know of is Ted Nugents "Kill it and Grill it".

Thanks for any and all help

Hoingshiba
12-06-2004, 23:15
Field Astream put one out that I have. It is recipies from their magazine over the last few decades. I just got it and haven't had the chance to try any of the recipies yet (code for: my shooting isn't what it should have been last time out), but they look real good. I think it is called "eat like a wild man" or something like that... hope that helps. - Trevor

muddydog
12-07-2004, 01:42
i grew up around a custom butcher shop..

deer get the rough gamey taste mostly from the clear parenchyma..around the various muscle groups.

hair and other stuff also contributes to it..

you can clean the parenchyma off..scrape it off..or try to slice it off..the best way to do it is to age the body parts in a refrigerator.. until a hard shell of it dries hard..then rotate sides.

this will age the meat and the inner meat will break down and you just put and peel the shell off.

i usually wont touch aging deer for 4 days.

the other thing is dont butcher a deer in rigor mortis..let it hang for a day or so..then strip the hide and quarter..

if your butchering yourself..strip the individual muscle groups down and cut against the grain..into small 1/2-1/4 inch steaks.. a mini steak. the smaller the piece..the less chance for an overwelming aftertaste..

also you can soak on salt water, changing it out every day for 2 days..then soaking in regular water for 1/2 day. some people use milk.

the salt water will dissolve the blood left in it..blood has some taste to it..

i cook roasts by stuffing garlic cloves into the roast..2-3..lemon pepper and salt..then a oven bag..cajun seasoning if you want..worchestire sauce..too.

steaks, tender loin and backstraps are always mini steaked and lemon peppered and garlic salted...and chicken fried..for minimal time.

i do cook kabobs...which cook great over charcoal..again..not long..its a quick cook..

i love my kabobs..soak the meat in marinade..sometimes wrapped with thick peppered bacon..

all game should be eaten cooked medium rare..to medium at the harshest.

over cooking will ruin it. the worst thing you can do..

i make fajitas..with mixes..cajun..montreal seasoning..you name it.

remember..
deer is deer...cow is cow..
deer is gonna taste different..you can get the gamey taste out of it.

we also make italian sausage and breakfast sausage and pepperoni as well. we eat alot of stew (probably the best..use of deer, i think..for people without a grinder.)because you can salvage alot of waste cuts. we also make alot of chili meat..but i like fine ground chili.

give me the tenderlion off of a 1.5 y/o deer any day..and i'm a happy cook...

Hoingshiba
12-07-2004, 14:00
Originally posted by muddydog
if your butchering yourself..strip the individual muscle groups down and cut against the grain..

OUCH!!! That sounds painful... ;z I guess I think of things a bit too literally... Good Info Muddydog - Thanks.

eagles405
12-08-2004, 23:10
Big Bob's Shoulder of Venison.
6 servings

1 5 lb. shoulder of venison
1 ts pepper
1 ts allspice
1/4 c butter (oftened)
1 lg onion (chopped)
1 cn 12 oz beer
1 cup sour cream
1 cn cream of mushroom soup

1) Season venison with spices, rubbing in lightly, then spread butter on the meat (butter needs to be REAL soft) covering completely.
place the roast in a 8" x 13" roasting pan and cover it with the onions.
2) Combine the beer, sour cream,and soup in a bowl and wisk until blended then pour over meat.
3) Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 1 hour or until fork tender.

This make a very tender, very good dish.
Hope you like it if you use it.
Eagles 405

Good and safe hunting everybody.

mudfootball
12-09-2004, 09:49
what can i say that hasnt been said? dont be afraid to cook it less than well done, well i dont any how. As for the cook books, go to a barnes & nobles store and you will be blown away by the number of grilling, cooking and wild game recipe books available.
kt

vafish
12-09-2004, 21:31
I make a lot of my own Jerky. Kids love it.

Look in the international section of your favorite Grocery store (I've found it at Trader Joe's, Giant, and Shoppers here in VA) for a Teriaki sauce called Soy Vay Veri Veri

Teriaki http://www.soyvay.com/

Cut your venison in thin strips at a slight angle to the grain.

Marinate in the fridge for 24-48 hrs. (I've gone even longer)

Then dig out your wife's cookie sheets and cookie cooling racks. Place the cooling racks on a cookie sheet (to catch the drips of marinade) and place marinated strips on the cooling racks. Single layer. Place in oven at 250-275 degrees for about 30 mins. Then turn heat down as low as it will go and crack the door of the oven open (I place a spoon in the door to hold it open). Leave it on over night (a good 10 hours or so). You should have a fantastic smelling house and great jerky in the morning.

Researcher
12-10-2004, 11:03
Marinade it in italian dressing with some other various spices in the refrigerator over night. I did this and gave my gf some and told her it was steak and she never knew, until I told her. haha. She refused to eat deer before that but will now.

MarkCO
12-10-2004, 13:10
If you have a good meat market around, have them sell you a package of spice mix for your favite type of bulk sausage and make that up. I make a lot of my deer into various sausages (25 pound batches) and no-one ever suspects that it is venison.

For a marinade, I REALLY like this one, and it is again one of the ones people can't pick up on any game taste:

For 2 pounds meat: 2 tbs montreal steak seasoning, 2 tbs sugar, 2 tbs corn oil, 2 tbs spiced rum (or vinegar, or beer, or red wine). Mix it all up in the am and marinate in the fridge all day. Grill on the BBQ, broil in the oven, fry in 2 tbs of butter in the frying pan, makes little difference. In any event, start really hot and turn the temp down to low right when you starting cooking. Or, you can put it in vacuum pack bags as well, about 1 hour will do. You can vary the amount of the steak seasoning depending on preference. Sometimes I'll use lemon pepper instead of the montreal.

The sugar and oil seal in the moisture and add flacor, the alcohol draws out and neutralizes the gamey taste.

dougader
12-10-2004, 13:12
I love this marinade for flank steak and vension steaks:

1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
2-3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley.

Marinate for 4-12 hours then grill or roast as desired. Medium-rare to medium is where i like it the best. Deeee-licious.