Help with Playing DVD via Laptop through TV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Playing DVD via Laptop through TV

dglockster
12-07-2004, 05:53
I want to play a DVD through the TV using a laptop having S-Video output. I have the S-Video cable and an audio cable and I can probably make the basic connections. But then what? Do I turn the TV to a particular channel as with a VCR to get play back? I also read in an earlier post by chevrofreak that, “Usually the screen needs to be adjusted a lot, and sometimes you have to fool around with settings to get the flicker out. . . it’s just a matter of getting the settings to work for you.” I presume that the TV remote is used to fool around with the settings.

Then another okie talks about using “the F3 or whatever key” to get video and mentions the the DVD may be “Region 2.” How do you know what F key to use and what is Region 2?

As you can tell, I need a lot of help. Anyone care to try?

Thanks,
dglockster

modgun
12-07-2004, 09:05
Originally posted by dglockster
I have the S-Video cable and an audio cable and I can probably make the basic connections. But then what? Do I turn the TV to a particular channel as with a VCR to get play back?

Either a channel or input option just like hooking up a vcr or stand alone dvd player, sometimes it may even automatically override the signal and you dont have to do anything.

I also read that, “Usually the screen needs to be adjusted a lot, and sometimes you have to fool around with settings to get the flicker out. . . it’s just a matter of getting the settings to work for you.”

I never heard of nor experienced this. I just plug it together, start the dvd and make sure the tv is on the right channel/setting.

Then another okie talks about using “the F3 or whatever key” to get video and mentions the the DVD may be “Region 2.” How do you know what F key to use and what is Region 2?

DVD's are encoded differently for different areas of the world, I believe for anti-bootlegging efforts. This is done by the use of regions. The player will only play a certain region(s) which are preset. Unless you are up to funny dvd business, this should not be an issue.

I do not know the f3 key. It may be a reference to the fact that sometimes you must enable the video out in one way or another. I have to go to my laptops video settings somewhere and check an "enable vid out" or something like that, box.

It shouldnt be too difficult.

dglockster
12-07-2004, 16:07
Thanks, Modgun. I'll try your suggestions. DVDs are all new to me. I have never even used a DVD player.

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 21:46
A laptop makes a very expensive DVD player.I've never tried that but I remember trying S-out to TV's a few years ago and the quality was terrible.That was from a desktop PC and maybe the quality is better these days.TV's still don't have the quality of monitors and the signal through S-out doesn't seem great.In America the DVD region shouldn't be a issue.In other countries where the movies come out after the DVD's are released in America,people pirate them.Also DVD's are much more expensive in other countries.I remember movies in South Africa being shown 3 to 4 months after the DVD was released in America.And they were English there!In countries of other languages it takes even longer.I bought a cheap DVD player to watch DVD's on a fairly large TV but not a huge one.It's still more enjoyable sitting on the couch than in front of the PC.The public libraries here are very up to date with the DVD's so I don't even have to rent them.It's been a while since I've messed wirh the S-out on a PC.

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 22:00
I think the whole PAL and NTSC thing is a factor too.On most PC's this must be set by software or jumper on the video card.Maybe that's what the function key thing does.

chevrofreak
12-07-2004, 22:11
There will usually be a function key to switch display devices. On my laptop its Fn + F5. You'll just need to adjust the screen to fit then. (on the computer, not the TV. you will possibly have black bars top and bottom, or on the sides, or all of the above)

I output video to my TV from my main computer all the time. It has a GeForce4 Ti4200-8x VIVO card in it, that scales 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 to 720x480. I can set it to 720x480 but it stretches the picture vertically, which isnt cool.

Most cards have a flicker adjustment that needs fiddled with if the picture looks like crap.

My TV output looks phenomenal.

You may need to change your display resolution to 640x480 for it to work, or your function key might do it for you.

chevrofreak
12-07-2004, 22:16
If you post your laptop model and make, I wills ee if I can find some detailed instructions for you.

eljefe6
12-08-2004, 11:00
Also, try booting the computer with the cable plugged in from the beginning.

If not make sure you have the proper drivers.

dglockster
12-08-2004, 11:52
Thanks for all of the input. The computer is an HP/Compaq,5000n.