direct wave internet [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : direct wave internet

walkin man
12-07-2004, 07:57
Has anyone tried this? I have cable based internet now and it is very fast but I just installed direct tv and the picture is much better than the digital cable I had before. However, the cable internet is going up in price when I disconnect the cable tv. I would like to use the directwave service if it is reliable and fast.
Dial up is not an option out here as it is so sloooooow, We are too far from the hub to get dsl, so it's cable or directwave.

thanks
walkin man

NetNinja
12-07-2004, 14:02
Never heard of it. Sounds like they are using a satelite to send you a signal?

Sounds like direct TV. Have a cloudy day and you have these cool broken images on your TV screen.

know what happens to connectivity? Same thing.

Lots of page not found errors.

I would Google that and read up on customer satisfaction claims.

pfrigm
12-07-2004, 14:19
Walkin' man... if you are in an area that has both Cable and DSL... your price for the cable modem doesn't have to go up. I recently switched to satellite and turned off all of them cable TV. Walked into Time Warner and told them that if they jacked the price on the cable modem, I was going to switch to DSL... so they dropped the price $5 from what I had been paying. So now I save even more! :) Basic lesson, ask them to lower the price. If they have competition in the area, they'll match it.

cnemikeman
12-07-2004, 14:24
Well, it's Direcway........

I've used it, when I lived in areas where cable wasn't available. I never had any problems with it, even when the weather got questionable. I would recommend it, but only if you can't get cable in your area......

MikeMaN

walkin man
12-07-2004, 14:27
But as I said, DSL is not available in my area. I repeatedly attempt to get the phone company to offer it but no answer from them. Comcast has told me that my cable internet will go to 68 bucks per month if I cancel my cable tv. I'm doing it anyway since I had direct tv installed my picture is so much clearer and the colors more vivid than they ever were on digital cable. We have had 2 major storms with lots of wind and rain since it was installed. Not a single blip or freeze frame.

thanks
walkin man

fastvfr
12-07-2004, 15:10
Well, your average satellite ISP has two negative qualities:

1. Huge latencies on the order of one to five seconds.

2. Infinitesmal upload speeds, usually requiring you to use a dialup modem to send email or anything else.

Forget hosting a site or even putting up any FTP transfers over about 1MB with a satellite connection.

With those incredible latencies, the ping times are going to be in the 3000-6000ms range! No gaming is possible. Dialup works better for gaming than S-ISP's do.

Good luck, but think of satellite ISP's as a last resort. Especially Direcway...I hear SO many gripes about them. In fact, it just occurred to me that I know a dozen or so folks that have tried it...and NONE of them liked it.

lomfs24
12-07-2004, 23:30
Listen to fastvfr, he knows what he is talking about. I live up here in Montana where 90% of all people think the term "high speed" means their rebuilt GTO. Directway is the only options for many people but it should definately be your last option.

chevrofreak
12-08-2004, 00:01
I talked to a guy a few years ago that was sharing some sort of 10mbps satellite connection with his neighbor at about $100 each per month. His ping times really werent much more than 300ms if I remember right.