Blaze orange won't fix stupidity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blaze orange won't fix stupidity

mpol777
12-07-2004, 15:06
If a person is so stone dumb to shoot at something he/she can't identify, blaze orange won't fix the problem. Next headline might read "Hunter shoots dad. Mistook for an elk in orange sweater".

------------------------------------------------

Man thought dad was elk, fatally shoots him

Associated Press
Dec. 7, 2004 07:10 AM

TUCSON - A man was killed when his son mistook him for an elk on a hunting trip on the San Carlos Apache Reservation, authorities said.

William Delma, 44, and his 24-year-old son Brian Delma, of Peridot, were part of a four-member hunting party that were in the Malay Gap area on the northern part of the reservation near Globe on Sunday.

The four hunters had split up to ambush a herd of elk they expected to come through the brushy, wooded area.
advertisement

"My understanding is the father and son obviously had split, and the son mistook his father as an elk moving in the brush," said Warren Youngman, a Phoenix-based assistant special agent for the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Youngman said the elder Delma was airlifted from the scene but died.

A similar incident occurred in October involving tribal members, when one young hunter misidentified another as an elk and fatally shot him.

As a result, the San Carlos Recreation and Wildlife Department passed a resolution Monday making it mandatory for each hunter to wear an orange cap and an orange vest or jacket during hunting season, which stretches from October into the late spring.

"It's something that probably should have been done in the past," said Harold Nofchissey, director of the department. "It's a shame something like this has to come down to make it happen."

noway
12-07-2004, 15:37
this is a crying shame and even worst that lately it seems to be all father/son related accidents. Don't these guy even think :(

accidents like this ( I shot at movement or sound ) are some of the dumbest things to happen and fuels the anti-hunting groups and just burn a hole in some hunters as to what where these fools thinking. It makes us all look bad or at minimum labels as a bunch of dumb ****s.

TJC
12-08-2004, 04:34
Jersey has been requiring blaze orange for over 25 years. Probably closer to 30. If hunters wear it, you can see them for great distances. I can't imagine going into the woods without it, except for bow hunting. Even then, if I am going to an area where there are people hunting that I don't know I where it.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-08-2004, 07:07
Orange should NOT be required.
Helmuts should NOT be required.
Seatbelts should NOT be required.
Those are all infringements upon freedom.

But orange is safer. Not for cases when some idiot doesn't know what an elk looks like, but for the instances that somebody misses the elk and hits the hunter 50 yards behind. That would be a very rare occurance, but orange would help to see if there is a hunter in the background of the line of fire.

There are hunters out there that have not been taught hunter safety, or they have not learned it. And I'm not talking about hunter safety courses. Instead I'm talking about the culture of hunter safety. Hunters have to be brought into the concept of clearly seeing the animal before you shoot. Not just a movement. Not just a white flag of a tail. Not just a rustling in the brush. Not just a vague outline. But instead the clear image of the animal, as clear as you would see a dog in your living room.

hendrick
12-08-2004, 11:22
This past gun season I had an experience that demonstrates that no amount of blaze orange is going to prevent idiots from causing hunting accidents. Myself and two of my hunting buddies were standing on my property deciding where to hunt that afternoon when the owners of the farmland next to me put on a deer drive. One of the hunters on the drive could clearly see us and was about 150 yards across the field from us. A few does suddenly appeared in the field and much to our dismay, the hunter across the field began shooting at them about when the deer were in between us and him. I heard a slug hit a branch in front of us and tumble by about 15 yards away. Me and my buddies were both wearing full blaze orange and I know the guy could see us but he still shot. It is really a shame there are people like that out there giving real hunters a bad name.

FullClip
12-08-2004, 12:40
Had a guy get shot in Maine mid-November this year by his buddy despite the blaze orange. They were hunting a little bit after sunset and the legal time. Still no excuse in my book. If you can't identify your target, you shouldn't be shooting, plain and simple.

c10bonanza
12-08-2004, 13:00
So simple it's sad: Don't know, don't shoot.

dougader
12-08-2004, 14:54
There was a story this morning on ABC (Good Morning America?) where they talked about an expectant young mother-to-be who was shot in the head in her own driveway while getting into her car.

Apparently, someone fired at a deer and missed and the slug went flying several hundred yards over to the property and went through her window and struck her in the head.

People need to make sure of their shots and the backstop of their target when they are even remotely close to homes and other people, and other hunters.

Miraculously, this woman is not dead and was actually able to speak a few words from her hospital bed and the baby is fine so far. But holy mud, be careful!

I went hunting once (never again) with a cousin and his friend. We split up and they got turned around in the woods. They also got bored and decided to cap off a few rounds... which ended up whizzing right past me. I ended up taking cover in a ditch and behind a big stump until they came out of the woods.

My wife wants to go out in the back property to cut down a Christmas tree. I told her to let me do it with my hunter orange vest and hat because I know there are hunters back there. I just don't trust everyone to be responsible when they go hunting.

water_daddy
12-14-2004, 17:03
Blaze orange definitely allows for quicker easier recognition, but it doesn't save us from those who don't properly identify targets before shooting. Nevertheless, I prefer the law because persons without it they tend to be tresspassers which quickly get my attention.

Quake Guy
12-23-2004, 22:56
I never understood many of these accidents since the overwhelming majority of tags are for a certain sex of animal. If you can't even distinguish it from a man, how are you possibly seeing if it has antlers or not...

WFR
12-24-2004, 11:53
I was discussing this with 2 co-workers this morning.
One of them had a good friend killed in a hunting accident this year. The gentleman was 44 y/o and was killed by his friend. It is still being investigated.
I suggest a partial solution:

A MANDATORY 10 YEAR SENTENCE FOR SHOOTING SOMEONE WEARING BLAZE ORANGE.

You should have to read this before signing for your license each year. If a hunter knew he may go to jail for 10 years, MANDATORY, then maybe, just maybe he'd think before squeezing a round or two off at an unidentified target.

There is absolutley NO EXCUSE for these incidents. And NO, I do not consider them accidents! It's murder or involuntary manslaughter but not an accident. The hunter had to take the weapon off safe and engage the trigger with the rifle pointed in the direction of an unidentified target.
Another thing, folks should buy some damn binoculars!
Too many people see something moving and then it's safety off and find it in the scope. Way Wrong!
Binoculars are cheap. Buy a set and be extra sure of your target before pointing a loaded gun in that direction.
I also think that the hunter safety classes should be attended by some of these people that just decide to take up hunting. They're informative and most state game commissions do a great job of educating future hunters.

Rant mode off!
Sorry but I've heard way too much of this stuff this year!