338-06 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 338-06

MarkCO
12-07-2004, 16:03
I first became enamored of the .338-06 about 5 years ago. By most accounts, it is one of the best large game cartridges for North American game. However, no one chambered this cartridge in an off the shelf rifle. I explored all of the various options like a complete custom, re-barreling a .30-06, building up a Mauser, etc. The Weatherby came out with the .338-06 in a factory chambered rifle. I was excited, but the $1600 price tag for the Ultra Lightweight or the Super Big Game Master quickly drowned out my enthusiasm. I decided I wanted one however and started to save a few dollars which identifying which guns I could sell off. I was still a bit away from taking the plunge when Weatherby unceremoniously discontinued the rifle. Undeterred, I bought a Savage 110 with the intent of re-barreling it. After a few trips to the range, I decided the refinements and class I wanted for my “signature” rifle were just not there in a Savage. So I sold it off and bought the parts to build up a custom Mauser. Just as I was getting ready to start putting all the parts together, a Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight showed up at my local gundealer. He had called the Weatherby rep and had got one for me at a great price. Even though they were discontinued, a few were bouncing around and no-one wanted to stock them. I am literally driving up the mountain to go hunting when I get the call on my cell-phone! When I got back, I picked it up, and after a few snags, got a scope on the rifle. Now I am used to hunting with rifles that do not shoot as good as I can. I’ve shot numerous sub ¼” 100 yards groups with highly accurrized bench rest rifles and plenty of 1” 100 yards groups in hunter rifle style competitions, 5 out of 5 eggs several times at 200 yards, sub 5” groups at 600 yards, etc. to be able to prove that I am a very accomplished rifleman.
So I would have been happy with 1-2” at 100 yards. My longtime ..30-06 shoots about 1.2” with hunting ammo at 100 yards. Last evening, I went to the range. Altitude was 8500 feet, temperature was 30 degrees F, wind was variable 10-15 mph at about 20 degrees to direction of shooting. After a few shots at 25 yards to get on paper, I sighted it in at 100 yards. All I can say is WOW! I shot a cold group of 3 (15 minutes cooling between rounds) that measured 0.5” and a 4 shot hot group of 4 (4 rounds in about 12 seconds) that measured 0.4”. This is an Ultra-Light folks! I am so impressed and excited for my elk hunting trip in a few days. Just had to share.

mpol777
12-07-2004, 16:28
Sounds like a winner. A couple years ago my old man fell in love with the .338-06 and .35 Whelen cartridges. I eventually picked up a barrel in each to mount on a Savage for him. When Remington came out with the 700 CDL in .35 Whelen he ended up getting one of those. I 'm still waiting on an action to mount that .338 on to though. It'll be interesting to see what the differences are between the two when we finally get it all together.

Seems to me they are both great big game cartridges that don't get the respect they deserve. Maybe if they added the word "magnum" at the end more folks would get on board.

tjpet
12-07-2004, 20:46
Traditionally, Americans have always favored small caliber/high velocity over mid caliber/medium velocity rounds. Too bad. Most shooters don't know what they're missing.

I've used both the 338/06 and .35 Whelan over the years and if there's better general purpose rounds for really BG hunting I've yet to see them.

I'd give the nod to the 338/06 as it tends to shot a bit flatter and penetrate better if the proper bullets are used. My reload for the caliber is built around the 210grn. Nosler Partitian @ 2700fps. Great from antelope on up but the caliber starts to really shine once bear, elk, and moose enter into the picture.

I'm a big fan of the 6.5 Swede and 7x57 and they get most of my attention these days. But if I was going West again in my early 20's and had plenty of iron in my legs to walk the Rockies I'd have a 338/06 made up for my hunting excursions. It'll cover all bases and then some.

ECVMatt
12-07-2004, 22:24
took it to AK for moose, but did not get a shot. Maybe next time. Mine shoots under and inch, recoil is not that bad and it really whallops the steel target at my local range. Can't wait to try it on an elk next year. Mine is a build up on a Rem 700 ADL with an ER Shaw bbl and a McMillian stock.

Glad to hear some other folks like the round too.

Matt

mikedb
12-08-2004, 06:07
If Winchester or Remington made one I would buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe we should start a 338.06 forum. With enough interst maybe?? I see the Remington Classic ???

MarkCO
12-08-2004, 07:24
It would be an awesome "Classic" from Remington. Remington told me that they do have requests, but not enough to build one yet. I'm going to keep asking for it.

MarkCO
12-21-2004, 07:17
Well I must say that the .338-06, at least for one shot, is a very effective cartridge for elk. One shot put down a very large cow elk at about 140 yards. Jellied the lungs and took off the top third of the heart. Broke a rib on the way in and on the way out. Bullet went clear through. Elk tenderloins for New Years eve dinner!

dougader
12-21-2004, 11:48
I like the 338-06 too. I have been reading about the caliber and planning a rifle for about 9 years now. Some day...

For a time I toyed with the idea of a 338 WSM built around the 300 WSM case but decided to stick with the 338-06. Great cartridge.

Quake Guy
12-23-2004, 22:48
I also have an ultralight, I love it. Its in .30-06 and will shoot 1 to 1.25" 3 shot groups all day long with nearly any type of factory ammo. I do need to let it cool, after 3 or 4 rounds, but I find the flutes on the barrel let cool it very quickly.

It was a factory 2nd through CDNN for $900.

Considering how popular ultral lightweight rifles are nowadays, I am surprised noone mentions them. They are practically unknown...