Windows XP reinstall? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP reinstall?

WolfmanGK
12-07-2004, 17:24
I have had XP on this laptop since it first came out. It has been great and I have never had to reinstall it, like with windows 98, every month. Anyway, I have so much garbage that I have installed and forgotten about, it takes several minutes for it to boot up, and is showing its age (It is a PIII 800 MHz W/ 512). I want to wipe everything out and reinstall XP fresh. However there is one problem- my XP disc and it's case were both lost in the move. I DO own the disc, but as far as trying to find the serial for it, or even the disc, that isn't going to happen! Could I use my mum's XP disc, since my XP has already been "Authorized"? Will it still ask for the serial, or whathaveyou? I really don't want to spend $90 again for the upgrade.

bluewater
12-07-2004, 17:57
You need to call Microsoft and present your case to them. They can help you, and good luck.

;?

TooShyGuy
12-07-2004, 18:06
You can't reinstall without the original serial number. Call Microsoft. They may be able to help.

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 18:26
I've done reinstalls of XP but with the original CD.It never asked for the product key.A reinstall doesn't wipe out everything.I still had the same user name and password.I'm not sure what would happen with a different CD.I have one PC with a 733 Pent III and 256mb of ram.It does fine with XP.

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 18:28
http://majorgeeks.com/download4443.html

cnemikeman
12-07-2004, 18:53
If you have the legit copy, and just need your serial.......grab a download of Belarc Advisor. It's free, and will give you what you need. I don't have the URL, but google it and you'll be set.

MiKemaN

JMag
12-07-2004, 18:56
Originally posted by cnemikeman
If you have the legit copy, and just need your serial.......grab a download of Belarc Advisor. It's free, and will give you what you need. I don't have the URL, but google it and you'll be set.

MiKemaN

Great tool that I've used for awhile. Here 'tis:

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 19:09
How does the serial number help if you don't have the original CD?Does it make any difference?

TooShyGuy
12-07-2004, 19:19
No. The cd's are all the same and don't have any serial number in them.

12-07-2004, 20:53
Like others have said, use a utility to pull your current product ID out of the installed OS, and then borrow an XP CD. The license from Microsoft is not for the CD, its for the product ID. You previously activated your license of XP with Microsoft, and reinstalling and re-activating the same license on the same PC will not be a problem.

The only issues you need to worry about are :

1 - Its possible you have an OEM load of XP on your laptop, if thats true, when you pull the current product ID it may not work to install a new copy of XP. Check the bottom of the laptop, you may have a product ID sticker there you can use. OEMs use a generic product ID to create the "load" for their PCs, and give a sticker (or form) to the consumer that has a valid product ID they can use to reinstall with if/when needed.

2 - There are basically 3 types of XP CDs out there, OEM, retail and volume license key. Along with these 3 types of discs, there are 3 types of product IDs. You have to use the right kind of CD with its matching product ID. OEM and retail product keys will want to activate with Microsoft after installing. So, each CD is not coded to a specific product ID, but they are coded to only accept an ID of the right type.

12-07-2004, 20:56
KeyFinder : http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Once you get yourself an XP CD, here's how you can check if its OEM, retail or VLK : http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

fastvfr
12-07-2004, 21:00
Except for one little detail:

You have to get the same TYPE of CD to install with if the Product Key you have is to work.

An XP Home keycode will not install an XP Pro OS.

XP Pro SP1 keycodes will not work on an XP Pro w/o SP1.

I can infer from this that a copy of XP Pro SP2 will not run under a XP Pro SP1 keycode.

And Corporate keys are incompatible with either Pro OR Home.

What they did is used one particular letter ONLY in the product code for each type of OS. That way it is instantly rejected if you try to activate with an older/different keycode for a different version, and M$ makes even more $$$.

So unless your mom's disk is the same type you had, get ready to call 1-800-MSS-UCKS soon.

Have You Enriched Your Favorite Monopolists Today?!

Good luck,

FastVFR

PS. At least back up your System32\wpa.dbl folder so you needn't reactivate the frigging thing.

TooShyGuy
12-07-2004, 21:04
Originally posted by fastvfr
So unless your mom's disk is the same type you had, get ready to call 1-800-MSS-UCKS soon.

Have You Enriched Your Favorite Monopolists Today?!

It's not Microsoft's fault he lost his disk and code.

JMag
12-07-2004, 22:52
Originally posted by TooShyGuy

No, just their fault it's such a painful, complicated task...

WolfmanGK
12-07-2004, 23:29
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
I've done reinstalls of XP but with the original CD.It never asked for the product key.A reinstall doesn't wipe out everything.I still had the same user name and password.I'm not sure what would happen with a different CD.I have one PC with a 733 Pent III and 256mb of ram.It does fine with XP.

If you boot from the CD it lets you "Reapir", or "Replace" windows. This computer has a 20 gig hd that has filled up several times, due to all the crap I put on it. The amount of programs I have installed on here is probably 3 digits.

My Belarc Advisor info page is 5 pages long, if that gives you an idea. That's all the crap that has been accumulating on this little laptop.

WolfmanGK
12-07-2004, 23:30
Originally posted by TooShyGuy

You are right, however it is Microsoft's cumbersome regitsration system that hinders the whole thing. There are cracks for XP out there, but I bought it for $99, so I want to take the legal route. I could just as easily use my mums cd and just run a cracked version.

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 00:05
I meant I reinstalled AFTER reformatting the hard drive and it still retained that information.The disk was clean.It's wasn't full of all the old files.

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 09:56
If you have successfully activated the OS already, and if you are reinstalling it on the existing hardware, this trick should do just fine. Here it is:

1. Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a floppy.
2. Reinstall Windows XP.
3. Boot to a DOS disk if you are using FAT, or to the Recovery Console if using NTFS.
4. Copy the file from the first step above back to c:\windows\system32.
5. That's it - because all of your hardware is the same as before, your copy of WinXP is still valid according to the previous activation.

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 09:59
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/08/04/xp

Washington,D.C.
12-08-2004, 14:42
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

2mrchio
12-10-2004, 22:32
Originally posted by fastvfr
And Corporate keys are incompatible with either Pro OR Home.

A customer of mine has a corporate code that works with their copy of XP Pro, specifically the original (no SP overlay) version.

Melete
12-10-2004, 22:59
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
If you have successfully activated the OS already, and if you are reinstalling it on the existing hardware, this trick should do just fine. Here it is:

1. Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a floppy.
2. Reinstall Windows XP.
3. Boot to a DOS disk if you are using FAT, or to the Recovery Console if using NTFS.
4. Copy the file from the first step above back to c:\windows\system32.
5. That's it - because all of your hardware is the same as before, your copy of WinXP is still valid according to the previous activation.

Washington -- That's a nifty trick; have you done it successfully in the past?

fastvfr
12-11-2004, 15:42
You can boot into XP for 30 days before being cut off by their BS Activation Scheme...but this will work only if there were no hardware changes, remember.

I just copy it (wpa.dbl) over from diskette into C:\Windows\System32 and reboot after cancelling all the Welcome To XP crap out.

Then when it is up and running again, I edit the Services to disable Error Reporting, Messenger, and a few other things - also make some things Manual rather than Automatic.

Once it sees the created hash file .dbl is there and seems authentic, the OS thinks the activation has already taken place.