changing hard drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : changing hard drive

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 20:16
Somebody gave me an almost 3 year old PC.They kept the original hard drive for their privacy.They gave me the XP Pro CD that goes with the PC.It's pre SP1.They did reinstall it once and downloaded SP1.Can I use the CD on a new drive with a new name and everything?Will I be able to add SP1 and SP2?I do have the product code/CD number.It's printed on the CD jacket.It's an OEM version but without a brand name.

fastvfr
12-07-2004, 22:04
No problem.

I do NOT advocate the use of SP2, but if you want to use it forget about SP1 or SP1a. SP2 contains all of their code and you'll only waste download time by doing one first, then the other.

A VERY good idea is to navigate to their download site with a different PC and grab the standalone Service Pack installer for both SP's 1 and 2.

That's what I did, and I install SP1a on all of my client's machines from CD rather than let a naked OS onto the net with all of its security holes beckoning...

Good luck!

Washington,D.C.
12-07-2004, 22:22
I have the original installer for SP1 and I have SP1a and SP2.I figured SP2 included SP1.I think Java is the only difference in SP1 and SP1a.I had SP2 fix a few issues I had on my PC here.So far I don't have any software stop working with SP2.I think some AMD processors had some issues with SP2 and I know AMD had issues with XP when it first came out too.So as I understand it I can use a different user name and still get the updates from MS?I bought the PC mainly for the CD because they said it doesn't require nor ask for activaion even though it's an OEM version.I forgot the difference in activation and the product key but I do remember my other XP's requiring activation in a certain number of days.I think the CD key was required right away.I try to stay with Linux but certain websites and things I must do online require Windows.This XP CD says Windows XP Professional OEM version 2002.I have another PC with XP Home that is faster that I would like to try with the XP Pro.If that won't work that's fine.The one that came with the CD is 1.7 Ghz w/256mb ram.The one I have with XP Home is 1.9 Ghz with 512mb rdram.I know that's not a lot of difference.Hard Drives are getting cheaper and larger these days.

Washington,D.C.
12-10-2004, 14:52
Okay I got a new hard drive for the old PC now.I installed the Win XP Pro CD.It needed a product key but didn't mention activation.I was hoping to locate an SP-1a CD from Microsoft but I couldn't find anybody with one.I have the complete installer downloaded on my other PC. I know it's the same thing.I have the discontinued Microsoft "Update CD".This has all updates for 98,ME,2000 and XP to Oct 2003 I think.It is not a service pack CD and Microsoft quit offering this CD.I did get the XP SP2 CD.Microsoft says it's for people that don't have broadband internet access.I am hoping it will install without any internet access.Not everybody with a PC running Windows has internet access or even wants to expose their PC to the internet.Depends how they use it.I know SP1a is redundant with SP2.Fastvfr you were saying you didn't like SP2 so I might try the SP1 installer and see how that goes first.I have SP2 with XP Home on the other PC without any problems.It really hasn't changed very many security settings it's running better than before SP2 and the Disk Defragmenter works much better now.