Southern Indiana Muzzleloader Kill [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Southern Indiana Muzzleloader Kill

buckfever34
12-08-2004, 08:38
I have one section of ground I stay off of all during gun season so all the hunting pressure in the area can spook the deer onto this piece of property.

The first good wind I had to hunt my favorite stand was on Monday morning. I arrived at my stand well before daylight and got settled in.

This buck came through with a doe shortly after 8:00 o'clock. It offered a perfect broadside shot at 47 steps. The Knight Disk Extreme did the rest.

No big hunting story to be told. I didn't grunt, bleat, rattle, or use any attractant scent. I was just fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Buckfever34

noway
12-08-2004, 09:06
what load & bullet type? Also how acurate are these DISC rifles ?

buckfever34
12-08-2004, 09:29
I use 150 grains (3 pellets) of pyrodex with Barnes' Red Hot 220 grain sabot. I have the gun sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. My best three shot group was 1.75 inches which I feel is pretty accurate for a muzzleloader. It will consistently keep them under 2.25 inches.

I use the "spit-patch technique" when shooting from the bench and I make sure I thoroughly clean it at the end of the season or shooting session.

I have taken deer with this gun out to 150 yards. I have never attempted a shot beyond that and I don't think I ever would for the fear of a superficial wound. However, many believe current production muzzleloaders are effective 200 yard weapons.

I have shot many other brands of muzzleloaders and I have not found one that out performs my Knight.

Hope this helps!!
Clint

noway
12-08-2004, 09:56
btw, nice jobs and nice buck. ;)