How to keep your feet warm when hunting in cold weather [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to keep your feet warm when hunting in cold weather

rfb45colt
12-08-2004, 09:47
After 40 years of hunting in northern Wisconsin's cold, I think I've finally found the perfect way to keep my feet warm when spending hours on a stand. It's a pair of insoles called the "Heat Factory" that I bought at Wallyworld for $6. They have a "pocket" in the toe area that accepts disposable foot warmers. The insoles come with a hard rubber, yellow colored "filler" that you use when you don't need the warmers. When the warmers are in the insoles, they fit so well that you don't know they're in there (except for the warmth they generate).

I've tried putting toe warmers in my boots before, and though they did keep my feet warm, it was very uncomfortable to walk any distance with them in there. Now with the insoles especially designed to hold them, you don't even feel their presence, so you don't wind up with warm, but very sore, feet at the end of the day. They work so well, that I've traded my big heavy LaCrosse Iceman pac-boots for a pair of lightweight waterproof Rockies that only have 400 grams of thinsulate. At the end of a day of hunting, my feet and legs would get very tired from lugging around those big boots, but now I can walk for miles without my legs and feet getting tired.

I've bought a lot of "gadgets" for hunting over the years, but this is absolutely the best $6 I've ever spent.

FullClip
12-08-2004, 12:23
seems that keeping the tootsies warm gets harder and harder every year. I have no problem if I'm walking, but it can get pretty miserable if you are stand hunting, or even worse, ICE FISHING!!

Normally just some good wool socks (Redwing makes the best I've found) and a lightly insulated boot. Picked up a pair of Sorels a couple years ago that are in between a shoe-pak and boot. Comfortable for walking but still good for less active stuff, like 4-wheel riding or still hunting. But when things get real cold, I still go with the old style shoe pack with the thick felt liners and two pairs of socks. just hard to work the clutch with those boats tied onto yer feet.
May have to try the toe warmer deals sometime. Haveing cold feet can make any trip pretty miserable.

bustedknee
12-11-2004, 15:11
Feet sweat
Get wet
Get cold

Old indian trick -- spray deoderant on feet

308endurdebate
12-11-2004, 15:53
Originally posted by bustedknee
Feet sweat
Get wet
Get cold

Old indian trick -- spray deoderant on feet

Busted -

How old of a trick? Didn't know they had spray deoderant back in the day ;)

-k

ILikeFtLbs
12-11-2004, 22:26
A friend of mine tapes hand warmers behind his knees. He says it keeps the blood flow to his feet warm. I've never tried it, but it makes sense.

JimM_PA
12-11-2004, 23:13
If I'm sitting in a stand, I use Sorel boots with a felt insole under the felt bootie. I wear thin socks on the way to my stand, and change into dry socks once there. My boots are loosely laced, and if my feet start to get cold, I slip a chemical handwarmer into the bottom of each boot. If I'm going for a walk, I pull the handwarmers out. At night, I pull the felts out of the boots to dry them, and stuff paper towels into the boots to draw the moisture there. As was noted before, dry is warm. I have 2 sets of felt booties, and alternate them. This system has worked pretty well for me for a number of years.
Jim

WalterGA
12-12-2004, 11:24
Insulate your head. Your feet will be warmer. :)

paccw
12-12-2004, 11:36
I electric tape hand warmers to the tops of my boots once I'm in my stand...works well.
Has anyone ever made a good pair of battery heated socks yet????
We can make it to the moon but can't figure out a good foot warmer;Q

freakshow10mm
12-12-2004, 13:49
I take the hand/foot warmers and put them in between my sock layers (cotton and wool so I don't get burns) on top of my toes. Keeps my toes warm and doesn't hurt when I am up and walking because the packs aren't under my toes or feet. Works well for me.

bustedknee
12-12-2004, 14:47
Originally posted by 308endurdebate
Busted -

How old of a trick? Didn't know they had spray deoderant back in the day ;)

-k

I got this trick from an old Indian. He never said it was an old trick.

But it works.

Dutch
12-12-2004, 21:31
Had the same problem when deer hunting for several years until a few years ago when I started wearing a good pair of wick socks I ordered from cabela's and a little less insulated pair of boots. A hunting buddy got tired of hearing me complain about cold feet and told me this was how he kept his feet from getting cold. I guess my feet were sweating from the walk and when I stopped my feet would get cold. You mite try this as I did and have warm feet.

Dutch