Tech Help - Cleaning up an audio file [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help - Cleaning up an audio file

feetpiece
12-08-2004, 09:13
I have this video I'm trying to clean up at work but the audio track is horrible. I've got Adobe Audition but I don't know enough about the program to isolate/eliminate the frequency. I've attached a sample .WMA - any help would be greatly appriciated;f

gamegod86
12-08-2004, 09:51
I assume that you are referring to the tone that is present throughout the entire thing. I would put that frequency between 120 and 600 hz.

Just a guess, but it is definitely below 1 khz.

Do you know how to apply an EQ to the audio? I am not familiar with that Adobe program. I am more familiar with Final Cut.

Not sure what attenuating that frequency will do to the voice, though.

feetpiece
12-08-2004, 10:03
There are multiple EQ settings and filters but* they effectively kill the radio traffic.

gamegod86
12-08-2004, 10:28
Going from memory here, so cut me some slack...

You may be able to adjust the Q of the audio filter. IIRC, a higher value Q means that the bandwidth of the filter is narrower, resulting in more specific frequency attenuation.

That may allow you to filter out the noise without killing the vocal. Maybe.

AAshooter
12-08-2004, 10:55
I use a free piece of software Audacity to do audio editing. One of the GT members turned me on to it.

I think it would do what you want but it doesn't open the file format you provided. So you might have to convert it to an MP3, Wav or something like that.

The software has a cool feature where you isolate an area of your audio where you just have the background noise. It will then analyze it and can filter your file for it. It works pretty well for background humms like you have. You might want to check it out.

feetpiece
12-08-2004, 11:33
Originally posted by AAshooter
I use a free piece of software Audacity to do audio editing. One of the GT members turned me on to it.

I think it would do what you want but it doesn't open the file format you provided. So you might have to convert it to an MP3, Wav or something like that.

The software has a cool feature where you isolate an area of your audio where you just have the background noise. It will then analyze it and can filter your file for it. It works pretty well for background humms like you have. You might want to check it out.

Thanks for the tip, but no such luck - it filtered out the hum but it didn't leave much of the radio traffic.

Binky .357
12-08-2004, 12:43
Not exactly sure how I first came across it, but the Program "Goldwave is fantastic. It has multiple audio filtering options. You can create a notch as narrow as something in the neighborhood of 100Hz. It also has the undo function, and is compatible with pretty much every audio format I've come across.

The trial program (unregistered) allows something like 200 functions before it locks up; the registered version costs about $50 and allows unlimited access to functions. The last time I checked, registration also made you eligible for lifetime updates.

Personally, I use it to record scanner traffic during high speed chases and the like. It has both "Timer" recording and "threshold activated", where the audio has to be above a certain RMS level before it will record.

www.goldwave.com

Check it out, it may work for you.