Good 80mm case fans? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good 80mm case fans?

Ookster
12-09-2004, 15:26
Building new system with Pentium 4 3.20E Prescott and hot video card, so I'd like to upgrade my case fans. I have a good size Antec case with room for 4 fans: 2 intake and 2 output in the rear. Currently, I have 3 of the stock Antec fans rated at 34 CFM and 30 dB. One is in the front, and the other 2 are rearoutput fans. Is there a better, quieter fan that someone can recommend? I wouldn't mind upgrading to 4 new fans as these are pretty old and one has developed an annoying rattle. Thanks.

Eric

Cinic
12-09-2004, 16:45
newegg.com has a ton of fans and they have ratings for CFM and noise on all of them.

From what I've read, Papst is the cream of the crop but they're hard to find. I got a 92mm one when I upgraded my heatsink. I've also been happy with the Antec case fan that came with my Sonata so you may look into their fans.

fastvfr
12-10-2004, 00:00
Well, I had to mod the bejeezus out of the GF's case when I upgraded it to a 2.4C/P4P800SE/512MB CL2 PC3200 rig.

She's only running a cheap PCI vid card (my spare) right now as a stop-gap measure, just to get her running...soon she'll have my Gainward 5900U and I'll be sporting a new 6800GT.

I used three of these 80mm Antec LED fans in her case:
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fans/antecblue_big.jpg

One side intake, one rear exhaust, and one on top for exhaust through a blowhole. Looks great and keeps her PC reasonably cool.

There was already a 80mm intake in place under the drive bays in front, so that makes for 6 total fans, counting the two in the Antec 350w PSU.

Soon I will take my Prescott cooler from this rig and put it on her CPU; I have a Zalman 7700-Cu with a 120mm fan on the way! >W00t<
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/zalman_cnps7000_Cu.jpg

If you want a quieter fan array, you need a case that has mounting points for a few 120mm fans...an 80mm or 92mm that moves a lot of air also makes a lot of noise. Fact of life. Putting them on pots to slow them does nothing but reduce airflow, so bigger + slower is the only way to go if you want to keep your machine cool and quiet.

Good luck on your new build!!