Automatic Windows Updates?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Windows Updates??

Romadoc
12-09-2004, 19:20
Is this safe to do Windows Automatic Updates or do they come loaded with garbage?

Furant
12-09-2004, 20:03
IMHO, it's safe to do the automatic updates. From a purist point of view, they're no more loaded with garbage than the OS they're patching. And I do say that affectionately, but I'm really getting ready to at least dual-boot my XP box with Linux.

Joey

G23TRD
12-10-2004, 13:10
It is perfectly fine. Personally though since I am an IT guy, I have it let me know there are updates so that I can know whats going on to better troubleshoot issues.

On the shared home machine though, it is all automatic. Although it will only install the critical updates, you may still want to go to the windows update every once and a while and download some of the recommended updates.

Melete
12-10-2004, 13:34
Originally posted by Romadoc
Is this safe to do Windows Automatic Updates or do they come loaded with garbage?

It's absolutely safe -- The only thing you want to be careful about is "Service Pack" Updates -- back up your most important files before you do them. I've seen maybe 2% of computers have some problems when they are installed.

Sinister Angel
12-10-2004, 15:41
So whats the word about SP2. I've been hearing good and bad about it. How is the standing right now as to who's had no problems vs. those who have. I run 2k, but I have clients who use XP.

G23TRD
12-10-2004, 15:50
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
So whats the word about SP2. I've been hearing good and bad about it. How is the standing right now as to who's had no problems vs. those who have. I run 2k, but I have clients who use XP.

For the home user, it really is fine in my opinion, it gives prompts for running things, rather than actually stoping much from working.

In the corperate environment, it is a lot different, will take some research and setting up a group policy that will allow and open what needs to be opened.

I'm sure you know that SP2 was released late summer and I believe Dec 16th is the day that Microsoft is stating that SP2 "needs" to be installed as they are not going to allow the registry edit that stops the install to work after that and they will stop making updates for non SP2 machines.

Really havn't kept up on it much as we got it all figured out and deployed, issues have been pretty minimal except for forgeting to change the update server when we pushed the group policy to everyone! Was still on the test server and it started deploying SP2 when we just wanted to test the GP with out installing SP2.

Sinister Angel
12-10-2004, 16:17
Hmm

Honestly, I haven't found anything that makes XP so much better than Win2k so far for myself.