Working out while sick with flu/cold? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Working out while sick with flu/cold?

JesseCuster
12-10-2004, 13:43
Well the threat of sickness that I felt tickling my throat last night has emerged with a vengeance today. I not feel good.

Anyone still work out while sick? Is it a bad idea because it exhausts your body, or a good idea to just stick with your routine?

Achoo. Thank you.

California Jack
12-11-2004, 12:01
My take on this is not based on any scientific fact or medical information. it is only what I do, it seems to work for me. If I'm am getting close to a scheduled break, I take a week off when I'm sick. If I'm in the middle or beginning of a cycle I won't do my usual workout. I'll pick one big compound lift like deadlift, squat, or clean and press and work up to a max single. Something like this using DLs as an example; 135x5, 225x4, 315x3, 365x2, 395x2, 415x1, 435x1, 455x1. That's it. My entire workout while sick. Gets some work in and doesn't completely tax me.

Good luck and get well soon,
Jack

Alchemy
12-11-2004, 12:19
It's getting to be that time of year when colds & the flu
hit us. If you think that you are coming down with
something, common sense dictates that you should hold off
on strenuous exercise. Your body is taxed enough just
fighting off the bug or virus w/o you stressing it
further. All that your going to do is increase the length
of time that it takes to heal. It just seems like
common sense too me.

California Jack
12-11-2004, 16:40
Healing and getting stronger are 2 different things. Getting stronger is manly.

JesseCuster
12-11-2004, 17:44
I decided not to work out. So far one workout missed and today is rest day anyway. I don't think I'd do any good to my body either way if I worked out.

Bah. I habe habbing a cowd. :(

BigBadBear
12-11-2004, 17:46
I NEVER work out while ill. Of course I don't work out when I feel well either.

BCR
12-12-2004, 04:11
If it's just a slight cold setting in I still do a regular work out. I feel better afterwards since I get my blood flowing and it seems to help with congestion.

If a real cold has set in(sneezing, coughing, congestion and sore throat) I do things similar to Cali Jack. Get in the gym and bust out a few good sets, but with higher reps than him, and go home. Don't want to overdo it, but don't want to be a lazy slug.

If I'm puking my brains out, have body aches and chills, and liquid is spraying out of my ***, I stay home and watch Payback or Heat.

testosterone
12-13-2004, 12:06
if i feel good enough to go to work then i feel good enough to train. if my illness is such that i cant get out of bed then its no gym for me

SouthernGal
12-14-2004, 09:06
I was sick the week before Thanksgiving with what I thought was pluracy. It hurt so badly to breathe at all I just couldn't exercise at all. I can't imagine trying to run and get any air in my lungs without collapsing. By day 2 someone had to come over to the house and help me out of bed to go to the doctor.

commander
12-14-2004, 09:42
I think it's a good idea to take a little time off when you're sick. If you push yourself too hard, you can prolong your illness. Your body needs to use it's resources to fight off the bug. Let it do it's job so you can get back on your workout regimen sooner.

California Jack
12-14-2004, 16:32
To those of you that say exercise will prolong sickness, please let me ask; Is there any evidence that moderate exercise will prolong the illness? Or are you making unsubstantiated claims?

BTW, I not promoting marathon running while sick. But I don't think that 18 reps of Deadlifting are gonna put you on your deathbed. Of course, this is my unsupported theory.

Jack

Finch
12-17-2004, 22:33
I find that when I workout when I am ill, I recover from my illness sooner. Now this is unsubstantiated and I'm don't fall ill that often, so the control groups are rather small. It would take a lot to keep me from the gym....

ewert
12-18-2004, 06:30
Originally posted by JesseCuster
Bah. I habe habbing a cowd. :(

I nob whab you mead. ;f
Take your Vitamin C (maybe even 1000mg) and rest up.

Do like mom always did...a little chicken soup and watch cartoons in your room on the black and white tv until you feel better!

WTSGalco
12-31-2004, 05:04
If it's just a slight cold setting in I still do a regular work out. I feel better afterwards since I get my blood flowing and it seems to help with congestion.

I agree. I'm suffering with a minor cold right now & a reduced work out really seems to help.

Deuce_27
02-11-2005, 20:44
Combat conditioning with a cold is fine.

Matt Furey rules.

Drjones
02-14-2005, 18:00
I personally try to stay active.

I've read little tidbits here and there that said that it is good to stay active when you are sick.

I work out as long and heavily as I am comfortable. If I am just starting to get sick, I stick to my usual routine.

If I already am sick, usually my energy is a bit low, and I don't push myself too much; don't want to exhaust myself.

And on those real sick days when I'm really feeling crappy, I will stay away from the gym and give my body a rest.

Basically, just do what you feel comfortable with.

Going to the gym always makes me feel good, so I do it. :)

Cinic
02-14-2005, 18:26
Does anyone ever feel guilty about bringing your germs to the gym with you when you're sick? I know it's no different than some jacko riding the bus or coming to work while ill. But quite honestly, I'd rather not have my co-workers in the office if they're sick.

California Jack
02-14-2005, 23:34
I work out in my garage. Neither the F150 or the Volvo have caught anything from me yet.

modgun
02-14-2005, 23:40
Originally posted by testosterone
if i feel good enough to go to work then i feel good enough to train. if my illness is such that i cant get out of bed then its no gym for me

exactly

Drjones
02-15-2005, 11:11
Originally posted by Cinic
Does anyone ever feel guilty about bringing your germs to the gym with you when you're sick? I know it's no different than some jacko riding the bus or coming to work while ill. But quite honestly, I'd rather not have my co-workers in the office if they're sick.

Not really.

If everyone stayed home when they were sick, even if they were definitely well enough to get out and function, I don't see how our economy could survive.

I think that one of the perils of using a public gym is knowing that you'll be exposed to all sorts of germs and crap, so beware and wash your hands when you are done!

runnergirl
02-15-2005, 22:47
The rule I always go by is, "is there crap in my lungs?" if yes, no working out until my lungs are clear, if my lungs are clear, I go ahead with a slightly lighter version of whatever I had planned. Most runners I know have the same rule.

Flu is another story because you're dealing with potentially severe dehydration, lifting might be managable, but running or biking could mess up your fluids and electrolytes pretty bad.

45acp4me
02-17-2005, 13:03
If I feel like I might be getting sick, I actualy work out a bit more than normal in an effort to weat it out. The immune response seems to kick in and fight it off better. If something really starts to take hold and my health is dropping fast, I don't work out. I see no reason to expose the people at my gym and give them what I'm unhappy to have in the first place. I don't like being in public place with people who are coughing, sneezing and are visibly sick. Going to a place that people use to improve their health and giving them a dose of germs is a crappy thing to do.

On the other hand, if you work out at home or run outside, knock yourself out as your body will tell you it's limitations. Personally, I'll take the time off because not working out for a few days will have little impact on my conditioning.

Regards,
Glen