Screw Fixin' It, I Bought A New One! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Screw Fixin' It, I Bought A New One!

USMCsilver
12-10-2004, 21:41
Remember my spyware problem from the other day? Well, no more. I ditched the spyware/virus infected POS and got a new PC today. The other one was a Celeron that was right at a year old, so, well, while it may not have been the smartest thing, I feel better b/c I have a P4 now.

Now, question -- can someone recommend a good TV card?

Thanks!

fastvfr
12-10-2004, 22:25
Good deal! You know better than to buy crippled Celeron chips now, don't you!!;)

Never used a TV card before...so I can't help you there.

You can do what I did--use any old PC's laying around as a network box. Either reinstall XP on it, or slap in a Linux LiveCD and boot from that--you won't even NEED a hard drive that way!!

Do you Dial Up or do you have cable/ADSL?!

eth0 in Linux will assign the netbox's IP by DHCP, so it's true boot 'n' go surfing....with no possibility of virii!

Good for you, man. Good luck with the new toy!!

FastVFR

Washington,D.C.
12-10-2004, 22:50
Hauppauge Win/TV pci is the most popular TV card that I know.It's most likely the most compatable with other things.I really can't see watching TV with a new expensive PC.I have a friend that has this card and it works fine for him.

Washington,D.C.
12-10-2004, 22:52
Here is a list of TV cards * Hauppauge Win/TV pci
* MATRIX Vision
* Miro/Pinnacle PCTV
* AverMedia
* ADS Channel Surfer
* Maxi TV Video PCI 2 card

Melete
12-10-2004, 23:34
Originally posted by USMCsilver
Remember my spyware problem from the other day? Well, no more. I ditched the spyware/virus infected POS and got a new PC today. The other one was a Celeron that was right at a year old, so, well, while it may not have been the smartest thing, I feel better b/c I have a P4 now.

Now, question -- can someone recommend a good TV card?

Thanks!

I'd like to suggest downloading and running either Spybot Search & Destroy or AdAware to keep the spyware from coming back. Also, turn on the Windows Automatic Updates, Windows Firewall (or an alternative like ZoneAlarm), and get some good AntiVirus Software (AVG is free, and while I don't use it, it's supposed to work well)

Those four tips will keep your computer safe and usable!

Most of all, have fun with it!

Gecko10
12-11-2004, 06:04
Originally posted by Melete
I'd like to suggest downloading and running either Spybot Search & Destroy or AdAware to keep the spyware from coming back. Also, turn on the Windows Automatic Updates, Windows Firewall (or an alternative like ZoneAlarm), and get some good AntiVirus Software (AVG is free, and while I don't use it, it's supposed to work well)

Those four tips will keep your computer safe and usable!

Most of all, have fun with it!

Not necessarily. I'm running XP HE+SP2, NIS 2005, Ad-Watch, Ad-Aware+ Spybot and HT (everything current and up-to-date) not any of this detected or could remove the two hijacks I have had within the last 30 days. IIRC USMC had a similar experience.

I have now gone to FireFox to see if its any more secure than IE. We'll see!

Anon1
12-11-2004, 06:29
Originally posted by Gecko10
Not necessarily. I'm running XP HE+SP2, NIS 2005, Ad-Watch, Ad-Aware+ Spybot and HT (everything current and up-to-date) not any of this detected or could remove the two hijacks I have had within the last 30 days. IIRC USMC had a similar experience.

PC security is not for the amatuer and/or home user anymore. Unless one is a true blue network pro that actually keeps very current on issues and spends considerable time every day to research these new issues then they likely will not be able to combat the newer malware techniques and the PC will start running slower and slower as more and more malware takes hold.

The 'replace it & start over' is a huge waste of resources and has a whole thread within itself.

The following article from Techweb's DesktopPipline looks plausible but because the study was done by a marketing company I'd like to see more.
------------------------------------------------------

November 30, 2004
Lifespan Of Unprotected PCs: Four Minutes?

According to marketing firm AvanteGarde, PCs without appropriate safeguards will be hijacked in a matter of minutes.

By Gregg Keizer
The lifespan of a poorly protected PC connected to the Internet is a mere four minutes, research released Tuesday claimed. After that, it's owned by a hacker.
In the two-week test, marketing-communications firm AvanteGarde deployed half a dozen systems in "honeypot" style, using default security settings. It then analyzed the machines' performance by tallying the attacks, counting the number of compromises, and timing how long it took an attack to successfully hijack a computer once it was connected to the Internet.

The six machines were equipped with Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), Microsoft Windows XP SP1 with the free ZoneAlarm personal firewall, Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Macintosh OS X 10.3.5, and Linspire's distribution of Linux.

Not surprisingly, Windows XP SP1 sans third-party firewall had the poorest showing.

"In some instances, someone had taken complete control of the machine in as little as 30 seconds," said Marcus Colombano, a partner with AvanteGarde, and, along with former hacker Kevin Mitnick, a co-investigator in the experiment. "The average was just four minutes. Think about that. Plug in a new PC--and many are still sold with Windows XP SP1--to a DSL line, go get a cup of coffee, and come back to find your machine has been taken over."

Windows XP SP1 with the for-free ZoneAlarm firewall, however, as well as Windows XP SP2, fared much better. Although both configurations were probed by attackers, neither was compromised during the two weeks.

"If you're running a firewall so your machine is not seen, you're less likely to be attacked," said Colombano. "The bot or worm simply goes onto the next machine." Although Windows XP SP1 includes a firewall, it's not turned on by default. That security hole was one of those plugged--and heavily touted--by Microsoft in SP2.

The successful attacks took advantage of weak passwords on the target machines, as well as a pair of long-patched vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. One, the DCOM vulnerability, harks back to July, 2003, and was behind the vicious MSBlast worm of that summer. The second, dubbed the LSASS vulnerability, was first disclosed in April, 2004, and led to the Sasser worm.

The most secure system during the experiment was the one running Linspire's Linux. Out of the box, Linspire left only one open port. While it reacted to ping requests by automated attackers sniffing for victims, it experienced the fewest attacks of any of the six machines and was never compromised, since there were no exposed ports (and thus services) to exploit.

The Macintosh machine, on the other hand, was assaulted as often as the Windows XP SP1 box, but never was grabbed by a hacker, thanks to the tunnel vision that attackers have for Windows. "The automated bot/worm attackers were exclusively using Windows-based attacks," said Colombano, so Mac and Linux machines are safe. For now. "[But] it would have been very vulnerable had code been written to compromise its system," he added.

For the bulk of users who work with Windows, however, Colombano didn't recommend dumping Redmond's OS and scurrying for the protection of hacker-ignored platforms.

"Update Windows regularly with Microsoft's patches, use a personal firewall--third-party firewalls still have their place, since Microsoft's isn't suited to guard against outbound attacks--keep secure passwords, and use some type of anti-virus and anti-spyware software," he advised. Of the list, the firewall is the most important. The study concluded, for example, that Linux- and Windows-based machines using an application firewall were the best at preventing attacks.

"No machine is immune," he counseled. "No human is safe from every virus, and it's the same for machines. That's why people have to have some personal responsibility about security. You have to be a good citizen on the network, so you're not only protecting yourself, but others who might be attacked from exploits originating on your machine."

-end-

Melete
12-11-2004, 09:41
Originally posted by Gecko10

That's ture. But, AdAware and SpyBot both have preventive measures which make it harder for spyware to get installed in the first place.

Firefox is an excellent idea -- it'll help in keeping spyware off as well.

The comment that network security is not for amatuers is somewhat true. However, I'm a security professional at a major research university, and we've had a lot of success educating our users on prevention rather than removal when it comes to spyware and virii.

Anyhow, a new computer is always a wonderful thing -- enjoy it!!!

ToyotaMan
12-11-2004, 10:52
Originally posted by fastvfr

You can do what I did--use any old PC's laying around as a network box. Either reinstall XP on it, or slap in a Linux LiveCD and boot from that--you won't even NEED a hard drive that way!!

FastVFR

What is a Linux LiveCD?

Cinic
12-11-2004, 12:47
Originally posted by ToyotaMan
What is a Linux LiveCD?

I believe it's a version of Linux that runs completely from a CD w/o writing anything to you HD.

SamBuca
12-11-2004, 14:03
Originally posted by USMCsilver
Remember my spyware problem from the other day? Well, no more. I ditched the spyware/virus infected POS and got a new PC today. The other one was a Celeron that was right at a year old, so, well, while it may not have been the smartest thing, I feel better b/c I have a P4 now!

I officially volunteer my home as a permanent storage solution for your old PC ;)

fastvfr
12-11-2004, 16:35
Originally posted by ToyotaMan
What is a Linux LiveCD?

Ask and you shall receive.

Knoppix @ LinuxISO.org!! (http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44)

USMCsilver
12-11-2004, 19:24
Thanks for advice guys.

With the old PC, I was running F-Secure virus software. Charter Communications, my cable ISP provides that w/ my high tier of service. It also have a firewall.

I was also using Microsoft's firewall, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and another spyware program that was highly recommended, however, I forget the name. After having all that stuff, and checking regularly, something still got in and screwed up that other PC.

I tried to reformat the old HD, but the stuff was on a seperate partition instead of being on a CD. Well, the partition's registry files, or something, got corrupt and I couldn't reformat. At time time, I said screw it and went for a new PC.

2.8 P4 ;f I stripped my 2nd HD outta the Compaq I had and put it in my new PC after checking w/ several programs the contents of the HD to make sure it was clean. I also took out the 256 MB of RAM and stuck it in the new PC so I have 760 now. ;f This thing is smokin' and I'm lovin' it. Oh, and I got a DVD-RW that I don't know how to use. A post about will come later when I attempt something with it. Please don't comment on how to burn DVD's here b/c this thing will just die a slow death. Thanks!

Running now I have Spyware Doctor (registered), Charter's F-Secure firewall and virus protection, and Windows firewall enabled.

No more downloading stupid stuff or just playing around on the web. I'll only use proven methods from now on. I learned my lesson.

metallic
12-11-2004, 19:44
PC security is not for the amatuer and/or home user anymore. Unless one is a true blue network pro that actually keeps very current on issues and spends considerable time every day to research these new issues then they likely will not be able to combat the newer malware techniques and the PC will start running slower and slower as more and more malware takes hold.

I dont even really think about it and I always manage to keep my PC clean. I just keep my software patched, use Firefox instead of IE, only download from trusted sources, and keep my machine firewalled. Works like a charm.