12 vs 20 gauge slugs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 12 vs 20 gauge slugs

mikedb
12-11-2004, 08:52
I am thinking about buying a H&R Ultra Slug for my 14yr old son. What are the opinions of 12 vs 20 gauge. I have always used a 12 slug gun, but some people have recommended the 20 for this gun because it is lighter. I would like some real eperience info regarding the effectiveness on deer size game.

Mr Jody Hudson
12-11-2004, 09:02
We have some very experienced hunters who use the single shot .20 because it has, according to them, quite a bit better accuracy and range. And, there is usually less recoil as well. I think the .20 is a good choice in all ways except that there are some less choices in ammo and some added costs for the same ammo.

TJC
12-11-2004, 09:45
I've used a .12 ga. slug gun for years with great success. I've used a .20 ga. a few times, also with success.
I just recently bought a Thompson Center Arms .20 ga. slug gun after much research and thought on the matter.

I have not shot it yet (waiting for the Leupold scope to arrive) but I am hoping that either the Lightfield or Remington sabot slugs will shoot well.

My experience in the past has been that the .20 shot a bit more accurate than the .12 at 100 yards. But that could be just my guns, others may have different results using the same models etc.
There is less recoil and in my case the T/C is lighter than my 11-87.

isp2605
12-11-2004, 16:30
I've used them both quite a bit on deer. I used a 20 ga this past season to drop a spike buck. Have not been able to tell any difference in their performance. I have read reports where people claim better penetration with the 20 ga. Don't know if that would be a real consideration as penetration with a 12 ga has never been an issue.

freakshow10mm
12-12-2004, 14:00
I started on a New England Firearms 20 ga single when I was 12. $76 at Kmart. I have killed more than a dozen deer with that gun. It has a fixed modified choke and a 26" barrel. I used the Brenneke slugs 2.75" @ 5/8oz. More than enough gun out to 125 yards. Recoil is a lot lighter and so is the gun.

I also hunted with a Remy 870 youth combo in 20 ga until I sold it last year to a coworker so his little sister could have a gun to hunt with her first time out. Lots of deer and pheasants with that gun also.

I have always been a big fan of the 20 ga shotgun. I have used it from uplands to waterfowl to deer and bear. Never a problem and never felt undergunned.

The deer will never know the difference between the 12 or 20. I know its cliche, but it is true. I think a single shot 20 ga is a perfect investment for a young hunter, FWIW.

mikedb
12-12-2004, 15:23
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
I started on a New England Firearms 20 ga single when I was 12. $76 at Kmart. I have killed more than a dozen deer with that gun. It has a fixed modified choke and a 26" barrel. I used the Brenneke slugs 2.75" @ 5/8oz. More than enough gun out to 125 yards. Recoil is a lot lighter and so is the gun.

I also hunted with a Remy 870 youth combo in 20 ga until I sold it last year to a coworker so his little sister could have a gun to hunt with her first time out. Lots of deer and pheasants with that gun also.

I have always been a big fan of the 20 ga shotgun. I have used it from uplands to waterfowl to deer and bear. Never a problem and never felt undergunned.

The deer will never know the difference between the 12 or 20. I know its cliche, but it is true. I think a single shot 20 ga is a perfect investment for a young hunter, FWIW.

I see you spend time in Marquette. I spend time in AuTrain. I love that area. Possible retirement location. Are you right in Marquette?

Michigun
12-17-2004, 09:31
Just remember, both the 12-gauge & the 20-gauge are overkill for deer. (FYI, I don't believe in "overkill", I only believe in "underkill" ("underkill" being bad)... ;))