Upgrading to wireless [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to wireless

Critter
12-11-2004, 12:41
I am going to upgrade my hom network to wireless. The notebook that I got my youngest last year doesn't have a card in it, but it does have a slot for a wireless card. I have seen these cards at all of the local stores, ie, best buy, circuit city, even wal-mart. Are these pretty much a universal drop it or do you need something specific for a Toshiba computer?

SamBuca
12-11-2004, 13:00
Just match up the correct protocol. If you have an 802.11g only access point, don't get an 802.11b card :)

JCM298
12-11-2004, 14:26
I went wireless nearly a year ago. If I can do it, anybody can as I'm a computer dummy. I just followed the instructions. Of course, it could have been dumb luck, too,

John

lomfs24
12-12-2004, 01:04
If your computer has a pcmcia card slot then yes, any pcmcia card will work. I would suggest getting a B or G router as then you can use B or G cards. However, you can't use a B and G card together on the same network. Actually you can use them both but the router clocks down to the slowest card so you have just wasted money on buying a G card. Does that make sense? Many times you can get "kits" that have a router and a card together. That way you know they are compatible.

They are really easy to set up. Too easy really and it can leave potential security holes. Make sure you turn off SSID broadcast on your router and either turn off DHCP and hardset all your IP addresses and/or do MAC filtering. I don't worry about setting up WEP encryption and I have found it to be a pain in the butt to work with. And anyone with enough no how to get past the first two steps will certainly know how to get past WEP encryption. It will just add a little more time on breaking your network.

G22-Joe
12-12-2004, 01:32
One word for a novice into wireless (Wi-Fi) Linksys.

Very easy to set up, and very full featured. There are even several books including a "Dummies" book just for this brand.

http://www.linksys.com/

Best of luck.

Also as mentioned, try to stick with a "G" card, it is backwards compatible with "B". Forget an "A" card, some salesmen will try to sell you an "A,B,G" card, you do not need it. Pretty much only Corps have "A", and rarely do any public or pay for use WiFi spots use "A".

P.S. Any type of PCMCIA WiFi card should work, just make sure to load all the drives, and really follow the directions that come in the box.

DragonRider
12-12-2004, 17:37
I will be a little different. The below can be planned so it doesn't happen.

Depending on where in the house you are planning on using wireless you might want an external USB version. It is nice sometimes to have the ablity to move the receiver portion to gain a stronger signal. Example, in my parents house, most of the family room the signal is blocked by 2 walls and the washer and dryer if I am sitting on the couch. Stand up with my laptop at chest stomach height, clear signal. Raise the Access Point 5 feet or so in the study, clear signal. The USB plus the 1 meter cable give you the ability to adjust for a stronger signal.

Also, when you buy a new desktop for somewhere else in the house, you have the network part needed and dont need to run networking cable.

Just a different take.

YMMV

John

grantglock
12-13-2004, 09:23
Originally posted by SamBuca
Just match up the correct protocol. If you have an 802.11g only access point, don't get an 802.11b card :)

g is backwards compatible with b

so if you get a g router, you can get a b card.

lomfs24
12-13-2004, 10:27
Originally posted by grantglock
g is backwards compatible with b

so if you get a g router, you can get a b card.

This is true. Keep in mind though that when a B card hits your G router it will clock down to B speeds. Then if a B and G card are on the same network it will be at B speeds even though it is a G card. ;f