New HD for an Old iMAC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New HD for an Old iMAC

Wulfenite
12-11-2004, 15:56
I've got an old imac that I want to rehab to give to my son's teacher for use in her classroom.

The HD in the thing was giving off errors but instead of fixing it we just abandoned it and I set up a PC for the wife to get her email on.

Any suggestions on where to start researching on what kind of drive it will take and and where to look for one cheep?

Also, how do you get in the case on those things.

Obviously I'm not a mac person.

NetNinja
12-11-2004, 19:16
Well lets see since I am not a MAC person.

I suspect it uses standard hard drives. I bet you all you have to do is replace the hard drive with a standard IDE.

And if you need further info

go and Google It.

Wulfenite
12-11-2004, 23:11
I guess that's part of what I'm asking. Does it use "regular" IDE hard drives? Now if I can just figure out how to get into the case.

IndyGunFreak
12-12-2004, 06:32
Not a Mac person..

I thought all Mac's used SCSI drives?

IGF

308endurdebate
12-12-2004, 08:57
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
Not a Mac person..

I thought all Mac's used SCSI drives?

IGF

Apple left the SCSI drives with the introduction of their IMACs and G4s. They're all IDE. As for opening the cases, almost all the mac desktops systems (and laptops) require some strange custom screw driver... costs about $35 for the. A std torquex works in many cases (I've never opened an IMAC).

mwheeler
12-12-2004, 10:23
I put an 80GB Seagate in an old iMac a couple of months ago... $60 after rebate at Best Buy. Was in Best Buy the other day, and same drive is now $39 after rebate. There is no excuse not to put a bigger drive in an older iMac. Here is a link to one of many sites describing the take-apart:
http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/