Dialing the phone through the computer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dialing the phone through the computer

Wulfenite
12-11-2004, 23:22
I'm using Outlook 2003, and I notice in the contacts information there's an Icon that lets you dial the phone number. What kind of hard wear does it take to make this happen. Is it as simple as plugging a phone line into the modem jack and straping on a headset with a microphone?

Just to be clear I'm not trying to make phone call through the net, just through the computer over normal phone lines.

NetNinja
12-11-2004, 23:56
Wulfenite

I don't mean to crass but are you being serious?

I will answer your question.

Once apon a time there was nothing called high speed DSL access
(Well that's not entirely true but you paid a lot of money to have highspeed access, See if I have to put this explanation in here otherwsie some smart ass will reply in the next post and say "ooh! Ooh! that's not entirely correct")
and people used phone lines to dial into Local ISP's to get internet connectivity.

Outlook has the ability to dial into a mail server or your ISP so that you could retireve your email.

So if you had a modem installed internally in your computer or externally you use a spare phoneline and plug it into your computers modem.
Then you configure your modem to dial into either your ISP or your companys mail server to get your email.

My suggestion is to start using google to get your most basic questions answered. ;)

Wulfenite
12-12-2004, 10:13
I am being serrious and I'm fully aware of hwo to use a modem to get ISP connectivity.

What I'm asking about is specifically the functionallity of using the computer as telephone.

I noticed that when you open up a contact in your address book there's an icon that will dial the persons telephone number for you. In the help menu it says that if you connect the modem to the jack you can have outlook dial then you pick up the phone hand set to talk. What I'm trying to figure out is (since it can open the line and dial) can you also use the computer (with a headset) to do the whole call, not just the dialing.

fastvfr
12-13-2004, 22:39
Well...yeah.

You know how you hear all the noise from the modem when you are surfing on dialup and pick up a telephone's handset, right?

Well, if you dial a person's # with your PC, the modem will try to disconnect unless you disallow that; then when you hear the person answer, any phone in the house will be connected to that person's phone.

The question is...why not just use a phone to dial?

Wulfenite
12-13-2004, 23:10
I injured my back and I'm trying to get set up to do work from a reclined position with a notebook on my lap. Juggleing a laptop, trakball, phone and earbud, associated cords, and whatever paperwork I'm working on my chest and lap is a PITA. If I could get the laptop to also be the phone it would make things easier. Keeping everything I need within reach is a challange. I'm also working on a special lap table thing that would simplify some but its still in the mental design stage. Heading out to the shop and banging out furnature is not my strong suit these says. The phone things sounds kind of stupid but it would simplify my life more than you might think. It just seems like all the processing power in a phone should be pretty easily replicated by a PC.

David_G17
12-16-2004, 11:58
there's something called "phone dialler" that was included in win 98.

it's pretty straight forward to use.

if you have a mic and speakers, it may help you out.

in windows xp:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4900/rh4941.htm