major heat problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : major heat problems

Clyde in CO
12-12-2004, 00:09
This is a continuation of my "building a new PC" thread.

I got all my parts (newegg shipping is super fast)

Now, I'm having problems with the build.

I've got it all together, and went for the install of windows, but the CPU is running hot. Wicked hot. Hotter than a june bride on a wood stove in january.

MB temp was just fine, but cpu was in the high 90's C and it kept shutting itself down. Tried an aftermarket cpu fan, had no effect.

I can't figure out why it's running so hot. I know heat can be an issue, but this is abnormally hot right out of the gate.

I have a ASUS P4P800-VM 865G motherboard and a raidmax case w/ 420W powersupply.

Here are some details on my CPU

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 3.0GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.25V - 1.525V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Warranty: 3-year MFG

I've laid off on messing with it for now as I don't want to fry anything.

Could there be some kind of conflict with the motherboard and CPU that could cause this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

end of line.

AZ-Boog
12-12-2004, 00:36
what type of heatsink thermal compound are you useing??

do NOT use the thermal pad that usually comes affixed to some aftermarket heatsinks.

clean every last remnant of the thermal pad off of the heatsink, if it's on there.

make sure that the heatspreader on the cpu is totally clean.

after making sure that the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the cpu are absolutely clean, apply a very thin (about the thickness of a business card) layer of a good thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5)on top of the heatspreader on the cpu, and mount your heatsink to it. Make sure that the heatsink is making good contact with the top of the heatspreader (cpu).

Prescotts are known to run hotter then Northwoods but not 90 C.

good luck.

chevrofreak
12-12-2004, 01:27
Thats pretty damned hot, even for a P4. Make certain your heatsink is clipped down good, and try some Artic Silver 5 or something for thermal compound.

http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/roundup/thermal_compound/

Does it cool down much with the case opened up?

jhall
12-12-2004, 02:26
Really, your just supposed to put a thin layer of the thermal compound on there?

Man, i put a lot of it on there. The Heat sink was actually sliding on it till i got it locked down....

But it seems ok. I have a prescott p4 3.2ghz and on just normal everyday activity it doesnt get above 28C now. When encoding a dvd it only gets up to 35C.

Anyway, just me rambling. Sorry to hijack your thread...

Ookster
12-12-2004, 07:22
Here's a link to Arctic Silver's "How to Apply" info. I bought a small tube of it when I built my first computer a couple years ago. It was pretty cheap, I think like $10 for a small tube at Best Buy.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

jack19512
12-12-2004, 08:43
Are you sure your heatsink is installed the correct way?

Clyde in CO
12-12-2004, 19:27
The case is already open when I try this.....

I checked out the link, I'm using more thermal grease than that, I put a light coating on the whole processor.

I'm going to take the whole thing apart and try again, if there's no obvious incompatability issues then the problem has got to be the heat sink.

tous
12-12-2004, 22:51
Clyde, carefully touch the heat sink after the machine has been running 30 seconds or so.. If it's not hot, then you have a problem with the heat sink/fan installation. As already noted, thermal paste is to used sparingly.

fastvfr
12-13-2004, 00:34
Thermal grease = just fills in the microscopic dips and scratches in the CPU-HS interface with something more conductive than air. Nothing more.

If you use too much it will blanket the CPU and actually hold heat in.

Also a speck of sand in the interface can keep them from making contact properly.

Remove the HS, clean it and the proc well, then apply the AS sparingly and reassemble.

I'll bet it'll run cooler than you have seen so far!