Picked Up My First Ham Radio Today! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picked Up My First Ham Radio Today!

BrianDamage
12-12-2004, 20:03
Icom IC-V8000

http://www.icomamerica.com/images/product/ic-v8000.jpg

holy crap, there's alot to these things! It will take me until I get my general license to get it programmed !;f

I just got a cheapy mag-mount antenna for right now..didn't realize they were so high ;P I was going to get a good one, but the good mounts were high as hell too!;P

Can't wait for my call-sign to come through so I can talk. maybe I can have the repeaters programmed in by then ;f

uhlawpup
12-12-2004, 20:25
Congratulations! But don't badmouth the mag mounts.

All I have used for many, many years is a 19-inch whip in a mag mount. Operation has been superb, too, both on 2 meters and 70 centimeters. (It's a quarter-wave on 2, and a 3/4 wave on .7 ...SWR of 1.5:1 or less on both bands.) I find it works better than all those expensive, gain antennas, especially into distant and hard-to-reach repeaters.

In fact, the one I just put on my car a few weeks ago is one I first used in 1979! Same coax, same whip, same magnet.

I realize I've only been a ham since 1964, and still have a lot to learn, but I'm pleased with the performance of these cheapo mag mounts.

EUPHER49
12-12-2004, 23:32
Don't overlook used equipment. If you plan on geting real serious in this hobby plan on shelling out some bux for gear. New equipment is nice to have but not really necessary to have a rewarding experience. When I got into the
hobby I actually designed and built a 40M transceiver that put out an amazing 1W and had a ball with it. Hamfests are a good source for used stuff. Check the major Ham magazines for them in your area. Clubs are also a good source...use your imagination, and don't think you need something new. ( the IC-V8000 is a nice unit... I have a dual-bander that I still can't program without the manual, and I've had it for at least four years..hi hi.)

Tom B
12-13-2004, 02:59
I have have run an Icom V8000 mobile now for 2.5 years. No problems and it's a great radio. The 75 watts helps me alot as I run simplex all the time. I use a Diamond 5/8 wave magmount on the PU truck roof. I know you will enjoy yours. Every time I think about a new rig I just change the V8000 display color and it kills the fever!

BrianDamage
12-13-2004, 15:29
Originally posted by uhlawpup
Congratulations! But don't badmouth the mag mounts.

All I have used for many, many years is a 19-inch whip in a mag mount. Operation has been superb, too, both on 2 meters and 70 centimeters. (It's a quarter-wave on 2, and a 3/4 wave on .7 ...SWR of 1.5:1 or less on both bands.) I find it works better than all those expensive, gain antennas, especially into distant and hard-to-reach repeaters.

In fact, the one I just put on my car a few weeks ago is one I first used in 1979! Same coax, same whip, same magnet.

I realize I've only been a ham since 1964, and still have a lot to learn, but I'm pleased with the performance of these cheapo mag mounts.

haha the reason I referred to it as cheapo was because for the antenna with mount (all one piece) it was around $30.

for the better antennas, they were $50-$100, and THEN you still had to buy a seperate mag-mount for $50 + (or a trunk lid mount for $50 +)

beachside39
12-14-2004, 15:41
Welcome to the ranks of ham radio. It's a hobby that you can enjoy for your entire lifetime. It has so many areas that will keep your interest over the years. I've been licensed since 1959 and have had call plates on my cars since 1960.

That looks like a good radio. You should have a lot of fun with it. Regarding mag mounts antennas, I recently bought a $40 Diamond MR77 dual-band mag mount for my Yaesu VX-5 VHF/UHF handheld in my wife's car. It's only 20" high and has better than average gain. You will always have a use for your mag mount even when get a hard-mount antenna.

I run a Kenwood TS-2000 xcvr into a Diamond CR627B tri-band vertical on my truck. It is 60" tall and does very well on 6/2/440mhz. With it's high gain, I can get up to 176 watts effective radiated power on two meters from my 100 watt transmitter.

beachside39
12-14-2004, 15:45
If you've already passed your tech written, you can get your new call sign by looking up your name on www.qrz.com . That way you won't have to wait for the postman to bring your paper license.

BrianDamage
12-15-2004, 15:43
Originally posted by beachside39
If you've already passed your tech written, you can get your new call sign by looking up your name on www.qrz.com . That way you won't have to wait for the postman to bring your paper license.

yeah I had been checking the fcc website, and the guy had told us we should have it by yesterady..I come home & my internet was out and they told me 1 week to get it back up :( I called the 1-800 # and it had come through so :

KI4IBS is on the air;f

hercules
01-05-2005, 19:36
Congrats to you.

73's
K4TOR
www.torlo.com/ham

Zulu Alpha
01-06-2005, 19:10
Good Deal! Those V8000's are a great rig. Be sure to join the Yahoo Group for the IC-V8000 as its a great resource. 73!

MikeD122
02-04-2005, 19:06
Good Deal! Those V8000's are a great rig.

Yep, I agree. I use a V8000 as a base rig and a IC-2100 in the car.

Have to get the manuals out when I need to program freq's into the memory though;Q

GSD17
02-06-2005, 11:50
Great little radio, you will get it figured out soon, once you figure out how they operate, you wont have a problem programming it, my advice is to get the PC programming software and cable if it accepts one, I had to get one for my Yaesu Ft-8900R, THAT radio is a pain to program by hand.

Big House Sgt
02-10-2005, 17:31
Congrats on the new radio, license, and call sign!

Back in the "good old days" when I got my ticket we didn't have the option of getting our callsigns via the internet. I'm glad you didn't have to wait as long as I did.

I've got the same radio as you. It's doing a nice job for me. The mag-mount is a good investment and can travel with you wherever you go.

Wayne - N7ICS.

Glock Bob
03-07-2005, 15:32
You oughta see if you can get on the Birmingham Amateur Radio Club (BARC) reapter (W4CUE). It's 146.88 duplex negative (146.28 talk-in). Maybe we can get a GT-Alabama meeting going one day.

I checked out your radio on icomamerica.com. I was surprised to see it is capable of 75 watts. My two radios only go up to 50 and 55 watts. Oh well, they work (and work very well...they're Icoms, afterall).

Here's a link (http://w4cue.com/repeater.htm) to BARC's repeater listing. It's mostly the Birmingham area, but you should be able to find some you can reach.

If you need help programming your rig I'll see what I can do for you.

BTW, your call sign is Kilo Alpha Four Irritable Bowel Syndrome ;f ;a ;g

BrianDamage
03-09-2005, 04:09
Originally posted by Glock Bob

BTW, your call sign is Kilo Alpha Four Irritable Bowel Syndrome ;f ;a ;g

LOL

bad thing is....I HAVE that....so I guess it fits LOL

yeah I think I can hit that repeater from the house...I will try it sometime

N1PJ
03-09-2005, 07:27
Congrats and welcome to the world of radio. I can still remember my first radio, a vx5r. It is an expensive but fun hobby, you never have enough radios. I have about 23 or 24 radios ranging from motorola commercial radios programmed with ham frequencies to HF radios.

73's