AVAST AV Driving me crazy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AVAST AV Driving me crazy

Toyman
12-13-2004, 08:22
I dumped norton and installed a trial version of AVAST. BUT I can't figure out 2 things:

1) Is there a way to turn off the popup tool tip list of files it's scanning (by the system tray)?

2) Is there a way to have it handle E-mail viri without prompting me? I get hundreds a day, and it's annoying.

Bronson7
12-13-2004, 09:58
Toyman, I also got rid of Nortons ( dayumed thing caused me a re-format), installed the free version of AVG which was a little buggy in my OS (XP SP2). Now I'm running The free edition of AVAST. Is yours the free edition or a full blown trial version? You may want to try the free version if that's not what you have. Anyway mine works great without any changes to the default settings. No pop ups, all incomming/outgoing mail is scanned automaticaly, and I get a notification when an update is available. I like it so far. Oh, almost forgot. I may have had to tell it what kind of connection I had but I can't remember if it was this one or AVG.
Bronson7

Zoolander
12-13-2004, 15:22
Installed the free version of AVG which was a little buggy in my OS (XP SP2).

Now I'm running The free edition of AVAST. Is yours the free edition or a full blown trial version? You may want to try the free version if that's not what you have. Anyway mine works great without any changes to the default settings. No pop ups, all incomming/outgoing mail is scanned automaticaly, and I get a notification when an update is available.

Hmmm. Interesting. I may have to try AVAST.

Zoolander
12-13-2004, 15:54
1) Is there a way to turn off the popup tool tip list of files it's scanning (by the system tray)?

2) Is there a way to have it handle E-mail viri without prompting me? I get hundreds a day, and it's annoying.

I need to know too. That would be very annoying.

fastvfr
12-13-2004, 16:12

For #1, if you Merge the two icons into one, that stops. On my version, at least (0450-1); the newest free version.

And for #2, I think it annoys you on purpose so you'll get the Full version; I know the option exists in it.

So if you want an easier-to-use free AV, try AVG. If you want a more powerful free AV, go with AVAST!

With either, some functionality is reduced in the free versions, since their Premium versions probably wouldn't sell too well if they could be had for free!

I chose AVAST!, however, and I now prefer it to AVG. YMMV, as always.

Best regards,

FastVFR