2stroke or 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2stroke or 4

noway
12-13-2004, 16:34
I'm task with buying a small HP outboard engine ( under 10hp) for a 14ft jon Tracker boat. I was looking for the simple and easy to fix 2stroke motor. Any pros/cons for getting a 4stroke job.? Once again I was looking for the best $$$s spent per HP and easy in repair. I also have no problems with pre-mixing the oil & gas.Any comments?

As a side question have anybody had any bad reviews on buying a used marine outboard? and/or can reccommend a good engine rebuilder that provides at least 3-6months warranty?

SnooseGoose
12-13-2004, 18:20
I'm no expert but in general your 4 stroke will cost a little more than your 2 stroke. It will also usually weigh more if weight is a concern. With the 2 stroke you have to mix the gas (which you said isn't a problem) and it's smokes a little more due to the mixture. For my money, especially with a smaller kicker like you are looking for, I would go with the 2 stroke, but if a small cost increase isn't a problem then the 4 stroke is probably nicer just for convience sake. You'll be served well with either.

SG.

vafish
12-13-2004, 20:22
Besides poluting less, the 4 strokes also get much better fuel milage (or would it be knotage?)

And another advantage is that if you do a lot of low speed trolling you won't foul the plugs like a 2 stroke will.

MarkCO
12-13-2004, 20:47
I'd hardly say that 4 strokes get much better mileage than 2 strokes. The main benefits of 4 strokes over 2 strokes are less noise, less polution, less sensitivity to rpm and altitude (unless you use dial-a-jets in the 2 stroker). However, 4 strokes weight more for the same HP output and they lack some torque head to head.

If you want to troll, the 4 stroke is a better option. If you are looking for inexpensive, the 2 stroke is better.

leeinmemphis
12-13-2004, 20:55
also the 4 stroke motors are typically ALOT quieter than 2 strokes. I have a 17' jon boat and will probably be in the market for a 40-50hp 4 stroke in the next year or so.

-lee-

noway
12-13-2004, 21:44
I've looked at the a few of the Mercury OB but one thing I've notice is none suggest brackish water. I will mainly run this boat in freshwaters with a few dips into brackish waters. Mecury comes to mind, since I've worked on these and few of the Britton Stratton ( sp? ) motors awhile back. I 'm looking for the more HP per weight issue and would like to get the most for my $$$s, since dollars are being less and less. So cost is a factor. Noise I don't care about and I will not do any slow speedng trolling since I have a electric trolling motor for that work.

does anybody actually have my setup in a 10HP or less with a flat bottom running freshwater with little bit of brackish water insertion?

vafish
12-14-2004, 21:22
Originally posted by MarkCO
I'd hardly say that 4 strokes get much better mileage than 2 strokes. The main benefits of 4 strokes over 2 strokes are less noise, less polution, less sensitivity to rpm and altitude (unless you use dial-a-jets in the 2 stroker). However, 4 strokes weight more for the same HP output and they lack some torque head to head.

If you want to troll, the 4 stroke is a better option. If you are looking for inexpensive, the 2 stroke is better.

In my very limited boating experience of comparing a 2.5 HP Johnson 2 stroke and a 2 HP Honda 4 stroke the Honda ran much longer on the same 1 qt internal fuel tank than the Johnson did.

I had no way of measuring torque on an outboard motor, but the dealer told me that the 4 stokes have more torque than the 2 strokes do. The Honda sure seemed to push harder from a stand still than the Johnson. But I didn't get to run them at the same time, and the Johnson was an older one.

It also makes sense because the 4 strokes are much better for slow speed trolling, torque is stronger in 4 stroke motors a lower RPM's than in 2 strokes.

I do have a lot of experience with dirt bikes and 4 stroke dirt bikes have a lot more torque at lower RPM and get much better mileage.

I can't see why outboard motors would be any different.

I do agree that 4 strokes are heavier, more expensive, and polute less.

noway
12-16-2004, 10:52
Will I just cut the check for a 8HP Yamaha OB. It's a 2 stroke and for the $$$s, I think I'm getting a good deal and a reliable motor for the jon boat.

It would have been nice to get a go-devil engine , but that's not going to happen.;f

CodeBlue23
12-16-2004, 17:30
You made a good decision. I was just about to say to get a 2-stroke for a boat that small as the 4-stroke would be too heavy and the benefits of it would not be worth the cost. I was also going to recommend a Yamaha. I have a 15 hp Yamaha 2-stroke on a 14 foot fiberglass Jon and it cranks up on the first or second pull every time.