Why do people hate Dean Koontz? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Dean Koontz?

WolfmanGK
12-13-2004, 15:40
Granted, he's not as mentally ill as Steven King, but watching an episode of Family Guy where Brian runs him over a few times, it makes me wonder.

sdakota
12-13-2004, 17:31
Heck if I know.

I've enjoyed all of his books to one extent or another.
His writing is imaginative, descriptive, vivid, hilarious at times, scary when he wants it to be and he loves dogs.
What's not to like ?

I suppose to the snobbish reader his works are not considered "lit-tra-chaw", but so what ?
He's not Dickens, but he's fun to read and that's what I look for.
He writes popular fiction and does it well.

His plots could be considered formulaic, perhaps, but the formula obviously works for many readers.

There are those who don't like him because everything he writes does quite well financially.
"He simply can't be worthwhile if he can publish his shopping list and sell a million copies."
;Q Yeah, whatever.

I'm a fan.

Spyder Teeth
12-13-2004, 18:43
Intensity was awesome. They made a movie out of it and it was pretty good too. Surprisingly, it followed the book almost to the letter.

Glockgirl26
12-14-2004, 08:57
I wouldn't know, he is one of my favorite authors. My personal library has a lot of room devoted to his books.

Haephestus
12-14-2004, 18:14
Probably because the people who make the Family Guy are liberals and Koontz is a staunch conservative/libertarian and a Christian.

OLNACL
12-15-2004, 19:09
The only problem I ever had with Koontz was when I read four of his books in a row...and realized they were all pretty much the same book. I now know to space them out a bit.

Another19
12-15-2004, 23:33
I've read them all except the newest that is only in hardback, and have a copy of each. I particularly liked TickTock, and any of his where he gets in the head of a dog. I love the dog in Dragon Tears.

Glockgirl26
12-16-2004, 07:35
Yeah, the dog in Watchers was cool, I want a dog like that. Dark Rivers of the Heart had a good dog character too.

Generalcarry
12-22-2004, 06:03
I certainly don't hate him but it seems as though over the years I see his name constantly and I guess that represents an author into mass production in this medium. Of coures then there's Issac Azimov (sp?), and Ray Bradbury to ruin that theory. It just seems to me as if Koontz as well as King lost something in mass production. I did not word that correctly and now I'll have to think about it. Good question though.

Camshaft
12-28-2004, 20:22
i used to be a huge koontz fan. midnight is my all time favorite read. that book drips with pure dread and dark atmosphere.

but all of his new work sucks IMO.

Tvov
01-17-2005, 09:05
Wife and I read a bunch of Koontz awhile ago. If I remember correctly, although he seems pro-gun, his early books are dreadful when it comes to accurate use and capability of firearms. I remember one in particular where the detective had "armor-piercing hollowpoint bullets".

We enjoyed them though. Haven't read any in awhile.

joker1
01-17-2005, 09:14
"Lightning" is my favorite.:)

G33
01-17-2005, 13:25
Beats me...
I like a number of his stories.
Same as why there are so many calibers.
Something for everyone?:cool:

Ronaldo
01-18-2005, 13:14
I like to compare Koontz to Stephen King when King was at his best, early in his career. King seems to have lost his touch in the last few years, while Koontz gets better and better. Just finished 'Odd Thomas' and consider it to be one of his best.

As an aside, Koontz wrote a book on how to be a fiction author back in the late eighties, when his popularity had really started to grow. I bought a copy of the book since I'm a frustrated fiction author myself. Some years later he brought out a second edition of his 'authoring' book and neatly contradicted most of what he wrote in the first edition. What I learned from all of this is that basic talent will shine through, no matter whether you follow the rules or not.

I consider King to still be an excellent author, but his latest works seem to lack the 'edge' of his earlier stories.

YMMV....
Ronaldo

jason10mm
02-16-2005, 19:25
I liked his earlier stuff where the first half of the book setup this mysterious horror for the characters, and the second half showed it to be a scientific/natural phenomenon and everyone got armed to the teeth and blew hell out of it! PHANTOMS, TWILIGHT, MIDNIGHT, WATCHERS, and LIGHTNING all followed this pattern. I don't read much of his stuff anymore, not sure why.

Jack23
02-19-2005, 12:52
I have probably read most of his work. I like to read him because it goes quick. True, he doesn't seem to be a deep thinker. His plots are thin and, Compared to King, Straub, and some others, a little on the linear side. To me his biggest problem is in the dialog between his characters ESPECIALLY between men and women. He just can't seem to get down.

That sounds like I don't like to read his books but the truth is that they make excellent reading when you want to go light.

I think his best book was Bad Place. It is as close as he gotten to a real heavy-going story, IMHO. And I like 'em rough and deep. Some one help me now, I'm trying to think of the name of the author of Hell Raiser, and Carpet World. Clive something or other...Barker...Baker...Aaargh! Gettin' old is a gettin' me down.^2

Another19
02-21-2005, 03:41
I think his deepest was Intensity. Aptly named.

Ten_Ring10
02-27-2005, 10:25
If you like Koontz check out Richard Laymon. He just recently passed away, but his books are awesome.

JesseCuster
03-06-2005, 18:35
Originally posted by Ten_Ring10
If you like Koontz check out Richard Laymon. He just recently passed away, but his books are awesome.

If you want to talk about mentally ill, then I think Richard Laymon had true problems. At first I made up excuses for him, but after I realised that there was a graphic rape in every single one of his books, I began to wonder about him.

As for Koontz, I used to like his books. They were fun to read, easy to follow, and just made for a quick light read. After a while I got tired of the formula. I was more into horror at the time and I was always disappointed that the mysterious monster/psychic phenomenon thing turned out to be a Scientific Experiment Gone Horribly Wrong.

Still, he had some pretty good gun stuff so I can forgive him.

From book-a-minute.com....

The Collected Work of Dean Koontz
Ultra-Condensed by Stephen Keller

---------------------

Badguy

I'm crazy, so I will do something evil and scary.

Male Lead

I'll use my CIA/NSA/Navy Seals/Green Beret/Marine/Army Ranger/Boy Scout training to stop him.

(He doesn't. Everybody gets CHASED around Southern California. Somebody steals a CAR and changes its LICENSE PLATE. The villain seems to be SUPERNATURAL, but he's just using SCIENCE to seem SCARY, just like in SCOOBY DOO. Male Lead STOPS him.)

Female Lead

I love you.

Male Lead

I'm rich. Let's live happily ever after.

THE END

Tvov
03-07-2005, 05:54
Originally posted by JesseCuster

From book-a-minute.com....

LOL!

Az Stealth
03-07-2005, 19:36
I didn't realize that many people actually "hate" Koontz.

He's written a few great books, a lot of good books, and many mediocre ones too. I still buy every new book of his, hope for the best, and don't feel ripped off even if it is mediocre.

If he has ever promoted a Christian (or any other) religious agenda, please be specific as to where he did, because I can't find it.

He is NOT conservative, at least in the modern "bushworshipper" version of conservatisim. He is libertarian only in that he often focuses upon the vileness that can flourish in an overstrong fedgoon system(see "Dark Rivers of the Heart.")

If some people do hate him, I'd guess it is because he sees a world that is NOT relative, and cast in shades of gray, but rather a world where people can be very GOOD or very EVIL. That's not very politically correct.

Hugo R
03-17-2005, 16:05
I'm also a big fan and have had him autograph a few of my books. The first one I read was Midnight which set me off on the Koontz adventure. I really liked Fear Nothing and Seize the Night and I though Tick Tock was hilarious.

Clearly in many of his early books his lack of gun knowledge came out. But it was usually made up by the SciFi/Horror of the book itself.

Don't know why he would be so disliked.

23skidoo
03-19-2005, 14:16
I'm a Koontz fan also. I've read most of them, for me, it's a tough choice between "Mr. Murder" and "One Door Away From Heaven".

Jeff

Another19
03-22-2005, 20:55
I think my favorite was TickTock. I didn't make the connection while reading it, but if I remember right he says it was his attempt to write a modern horror novel that read like a screwball comedy from the '40s.

mudfootball
03-24-2005, 10:26
well i try to read just about all his stuff, and i gotta say with the exception of a hand full , lately his ending make me wanna break stuff and demand that the time i wasted on certain books be put back on my life. For instance Hide away and By the light of the moon. Its like he gets near a dead line or certain number of pages and gets sick of writing the book so he just wraps it up
kt