more recomended reading PLEASE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : more recomended reading PLEASE

wonderwolf
12-13-2004, 20:12
Ok I love the following books, Alas babylon, The postman and "the day after tommorow" all these books are, "doomsday" style books and I love that genre of writing, I cant get enough. I think it started when I read hatchet 3 years ago as a freshmen in high school. well now Im a senior AND I WANT MORE please recomend books

Dr. Slots
12-13-2004, 20:44
In the same genre, if you haven't so far, you might try Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Read this when it came out in the late 70's. Lost my original copy during several moves and just recently replaced it. Will be starting to read it soon.

Sinister Angel
12-13-2004, 21:26
Originally posted by wonderwolf
Ok I love the following books, Alas babylon, The postman and "the day after tommorow" all these books are, "doomsday" style books and I love that genre of writing, I cant get enough. I think it started when I read hatchet 3 years ago as a freshmen in high school. well now Im a senior AND I WANT MORE please recomend books

I don't think I'd consider hatchet to be a doomsday type book...

wonderwolf
12-13-2004, 21:40
LOL yeah I know but I mean the genre of 1 person or 2 trying to survive and go through life day to day, The postman is my all time favorite, I have read it 5 times and every time it still has the same affect as it did the first. For a 18 year old I do have a good size personal library. David Brinn wrote the postman but i havnt read anyother of his books. Have any of you??

Sinister Angel
12-13-2004, 22:51
Negative. I unfortunately haven't done any reading in a few years. Well, any real reading anyways.

You ever read a book called The Giver? It's probably middle school level reading, but the story itself is still good.

TKM
12-13-2004, 23:13
Go to "Ross in Range", it's John Ross's (Unintended Consequences) web-site.

Actually www.john-ross.net

Mr. Ross has a list of recommended fiction that I will try to link to below. I don't really think it's gonna work, but weirder things have happened. Wish me luck.

http://www.john-ross.net/recommended_novelists.htm

Sum*****! the preview makes it seem like it worked.

Happy reading.

wonderwolf
12-14-2004, 08:45
yeah, I have read the giver it was kinda the same old utopian books they make us read here in school. Actually im sitting in my keyboarding class right now and I have a copy of Unintended Consequences on my desk. I brought it to read in my classes that we dont do anything because christmas break starts in a few days. Is John Ross a good writer for this kinda stuff? I havnt made it past the intro

MrMurphy
12-14-2004, 09:27
I used to piss off my teachers by reading Tom Clancy in class and still getting nearly perfect scores.

sdakota
12-14-2004, 13:45
The two best "doomsday" style books I've read are "The Stand" by Stephen King and "Swan Song" by Robert R. McCammon.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-14-2004, 18:48
Originally posted by MrMurphy
I used to piss off my teachers by reading Tom Clancy in class and still getting nearly perfect scores.

Was that in Sex Ed, Brian? Couldn't resist. Sorry! :)

SM Stirling has a few books on folks trying to deal with TEOTWAWKI due to weird circumstance.

He also has done a series based on the Terminator.

wonderwolf
12-14-2004, 20:08
Yeah, Its a good moment when your teacher ask inocently "what book are you reading" and it turns out That your reading the biography of Rommel. LOL this happend to me in my 8th grade year, I was into that history stuff. They almost sent me to the office cause of the "nature" of the book. WOW talk about the ability to read whatever you want to these days in your own school.

Another19
12-16-2004, 00:52
Strangers by Dean Koontz would probably suit you.

If you want to branch out A LITTLE, Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child is a great book. It tells the story of a small group of people on an archaeological quest. Their other books are great, too, but I think Thunderhead is their best.

If you try that and like it, The Visitant, Summoning God, and Bonewalker make up a great trilogy written by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. They are known as The Anasazi Mysteries, and chronicle murders within an Anasazi community and at the same time tells the story of the archaeologists uncovering their sites. It doesn't sound like it from my description, but they are engrossing. I couldn't put them down.

Glockgirl26
12-16-2004, 08:38
I agree with sdakota on The Stand and Swan Song, they're both good. If you're not opposed to religious fiction, the Left Behind series is great, and will keep you busy for quite awhile.

raindog
12-16-2004, 22:32
Brin is a disgusting commie freak.

Try he Book of the New Sun by Gene wolfe, I think you might like that though maybe it's not what you'd expect or want precisely.

Canticle for Leibwictz is apparently good post-apoc though I haven't read it. Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler is too, and subtly pro-gun too, though I didn't think the author's vision was quite right. Nature's End is another good one though a litle preachy, and you might like Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams if you're just willing to accept the political end of the world (it's about people on earth in the resistance after the orbital colonies win a war).

I thought Lucifer's Hammer was better when I was 13 than when I read it as an adult.

milkdud
01-12-2005, 10:16
There are some good adventure books dealing correctly with guns available by mail order at a discount from www.FredsM14stocks.com, such as "MOLON LABE", "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse", and "Enemies Foreign and Domestic." They are all very good reads. Fred's just gives them to you at a greater discount. Enjoy.

eisman
01-14-2005, 22:15
A couple of older books, with value, are Failsafe & The First Team. For something really spooky, read Steven Vincent Benet. He wrote most of his stuff over 100 years ago, and has the post apocolyptic stuff down better than most "modern" writers.

You might also want to roam over into the SF section and pick up Modesett's Ecolitian set. His ideas on nanotech and ecoterrorism/politics are gaining huge relevance in todays arena.

Jack23
02-13-2005, 12:15
Stinger and Swansong, both by Robert R. McCammon

Thor's Hammer. Sorry, can't remember the author's name but it is an awesome story with a very clever opening and ending.

Tvov
02-22-2005, 10:04
"The Sleeper" by H.G. Wells.

Not really post-apocolyptic, but about a very changed future. Wells ideas of future technology is sometimes eerily (sp?) accurate. Some of his ideas of what we should have by now are pretty good!

Glock21Owner
02-23-2005, 22:53
Even if you've seen the movie, read "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. It's my all time fave book. Also Joseph Wambaugh is an excellent writer if you like cop related books. Some fictional books of note are "The Black Marble", "Delta Star", "The Choirboys", "The Glitter Dome", and "Secrets of Harry Bright". Non fiction ones are "Lines and Shadows", "The Blooding", and "The Onion Field". All of his books are available in paperback and are excellent reads!

ARs&AKs
02-24-2005, 14:42
Try Clive Cussler's SAHARA. It's fast paced action with very few boring parts. Looks like a movie based on the book comes out in April. :)

cyriaque
02-24-2005, 15:50
A little different from the above:
The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Slaugterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Another19
02-27-2005, 02:13
Originally posted by ARs&AKs
Try Clive Cussler's SAHARA. It's fast paced action with very few boring parts. Looks like a movie based on the book comes out in April. :)

I just finished Sahara yesterday. I don't know why I like Clive Cussler, but I do. Even though a lot of his situations are unbelievable, they're very entertaining. I guess that's what he was shooting for, and he hit the mark!

ArgentineSteel
03-28-2005, 18:03
Zelazny's Lord of Light. Talk about planning a revolution for the long term.

Daver308
03-31-2005, 09:26
Try Storming Intrepid by Payne Harrison,

You wont be able to put it down!