Anyone use latex [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use latex

Sinister Angel
12-14-2004, 00:07
I suppose I could cross post this to the writing forum, but maybe not. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone uses LaTeX. If so, what are some good online resources? I'm looking at the latex projects website, but it doesn't seem too helpful in leting me know exactly what software I need. Thanks!

hwyhobo
12-14-2004, 00:30
Oh, my, I have used the tetex version many years ago, but couldn't even try to offer any advice now. There should be references and manuals online. That's what I used back then. I don't even know if it is still used anywhere outside of academia. I'm sure someone will correct me. I would be interested to know myself.

Oh, and to answer your question, the only software I had was vi. ;P

Sinister Angel
12-14-2004, 00:45
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Oh, my, I have used the tetex version many years ago, but couldn't even try to offer any advice now. There should be references and manuals online. That's what I used back then. I don't even know if it is still used anywhere outside of academia. I'm sure someone will correct me. I would be interested to know myself.

Oh, and to answer your question, the only software I had was vi. ;P

Hehe, actually, I was doing some perusing through CTAN and found MiKTeX

Yeah, the guy that showed me LaTeX was doing academic stuff, but I'm a geek, so it got my interest anyways. Also, to be quite honest, I could see myself using it for alot of school reports and other stuff I do commonly, like my journal that I keep for myself. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to use once you get the basics down from what i was shown.

Deathwind
12-14-2004, 23:18
I used to use LaTeX a lot, now I mostly use LyX (http://www.lyx.org/), which is based on LaTeX. It's just less of a hassle for most things I do, don't have to worry as much about a paper not compiling, etc.

gwalchmai
12-15-2004, 11:08
I find it to be a lot easier to clean up than oil based paints.

Sinister Angel
12-15-2004, 17:26
Originally posted by gwalchmai
I find it to be a lot easier to clean up than oil based paints. Ha ha!;f